Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 02:13 PM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Not surprisingly, there seems to be a pattern with these companies who publicly announced giving raises/bonuses to their employees because of the new tax bill, then quietly trim costs elsewhere to pay for them. All this means is that they are reaping the extra profits from the lower taxes, and not really passing any meaningful benefits on to their employees.

About what most of us predicted would happen.
Please quit using your political bias and making assumptions. This has been in the works way before Trump was even running for president.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/16/sams-club-vs-costco_n_5332306.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/25/sams-clubs-sorry-story-and-why-wal-mart-cannot-giv.aspx

Also - Ten to 12 of the closed stores could be converted to e-commerce facilities, the spokesperson said. The news is consistent with Sam's Club's ongoing plans to optimize its stores to fulfill more online orders and keep pace with internet retailers such as Boxed.

People were also notified before hand - Sam's Club closing stores in Syracuse, Rochester, more locations | syracuse.com

Again - the anti Trump people jumping on the bandwagon and making monkeys out of themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Local news outlets are posting that no one in the cities knew about the closure. Not everything you disagree with is fake news.
no, but a lot of what you read on Twitter is fake, just like Youtube and facebook. I don't care who is saying it, be it MSM, the TV networks or whatever. I simply am saying, I don't buy it. That doesn't mean it isn't true, it simply means not everyone believes everything they read like you do. Maybe it has to do with what side of the fence you are on. There is one side that always is looking for the bad news and the other side that prefers to wait and see. It is still pretty naive to think no one had any clue it was happening. Do you think a group of maybe 3 people got up in the middle of the night and locked up the stores? of course some had to know. Maybe some of the hourly employees didn't know, that I can accept. Now, the rumor is all employees will be paid for 60 days. That too could be rumor. Believe me our local paper tomorrow will have this story covered by every angle. The headquarters are a few miles from here. Do you not think, if these stores were under performing the management didn't realize this could happen? I can remember the time a company my husband worked for, I won't mention the name, let 62 people go, all in one day and the particular office only had about 200 employees. No one had said it was going to happen, but those let go, including my husband had a pretty good idea. No. they didn't have the doors locked when they showed up for work, they just notified them the day before there would be an employee meeting at 9am. I will also the company was very generous as to how long those let go would be paid and what other benefits they would get.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM

8,234 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Sam's Club to shutter San Antonio location amid wave of national closures - San Antonio Express-News

As I said earlier, employees will be offered positions and we are by Sam’s or Walmart stores. They will remain on the payroll until mid-March. It is a poor reflection on media that they are not reporting facts but all seem to be contributing to hysteria.

I have read that multiple stores will be reopening tomorrow for two weeks to sell through stock. Initial markdowns will be 25% and in the final days it will increase to 50% discount.
How will they remain on payroll? If you don't clock in then you don't have hours to be paid for on a paycheck.

When your employment ends at a Walmart they keep you in their computer for 60 days. That's been like that even when I worked there. I sure didn't get paid during those 60 days.

I hope they do transfer them to open positions at other stores, but there's no way there's enough open positions for that many people.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:26 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Costco is kicking their azz.
Although I have a Sam's Club card, I never use it. I agree Costco is better, especially at Christmas time!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Wow that's like Nordstrom cancelling some brands but only reporting to cancel, selling Ivanka Trump brand while other brands vanished without a word from Nordstrom shelf's.
Nope. It is not at all like that. Nordstrom didn't just put over a thousand of their own employees out of jobs without notice.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:27 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
How will they remain on payroll? If you don't clock in then you don't have hours to be paid for on a paycheck.

When your employment ends at a Walmart they keep you in their computer for 60 days. That's been like that even when I worked there. I sure didn't get paid during those 60 days.

I hope they do transfer them to open positions at other stores, but there's no way there's enough open positions for that many people.
Did you bother to read the article I linked?

Was your employment terminated due to a store closure?

Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The total number of stores closing is 260

thats 45,000 people who will be unemployed by the end of the March. Sad, just sad.
Good grief! They pretty much robbed Peter to pay Paul with this "we gave Walmart employees raises and better benefits" shtick.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Sam's Club to shutter San Antonio location amid wave of national closures - San Antonio Express-News

As I said earlier, employees will be offered positions and we are by Sam’s or Walmart stores. They will remain on the payroll until mid-March. It is a poor reflection on media that they are not reporting facts but all seem to be contributing to hysteria.

I have read that multiple stores will be reopening tomorrow for two weeks to sell through stock. Initial markdowns will be 25% and in the final days it will increase to 50% discount.
No matter how you try to dress it up, they did this poorly. Why not open today, call a meeting with employees, tell them what's happening, and have people on hand to assist them? This is ridiculous.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:35 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
So they are not passing on profits to workers. They are just shifting profits. And this:

"....The company told CNBC all of Sam's Club's employees who are affected by the store closures will still be eligible for bonuses.."

So the good news is "you are getting a bonus!" Bad news is "you are laid off!"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/11/walm...locations.html

Old 01-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
LOL WHAT A SPIN! They are closing under-performing stores, this has nothing to do with tax reform or wage increases.
No.... the "closed without warning and people showed up to a note on the door" thing isn't spin. It really happened. And, I think everyone knows that stores close sometimes, but hell, Kmart has been doing this for years and they don't lock out the employees before they do it. They announce it, give people time to find other jobs, close slowly, etc.

This Sams Club crap is insensitive and inconsiderate in a very real, very hateful sort of way.

Yes, it's business, but TELL your employees about it. Don't let them read it on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies