Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM

21,137 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

“Good”

1. They are cheaper than paid labor
2. Their complaints about working conditions can be ignored
3. They can be forced to do jobs no one else would do

Bad

1. All people have human dignity and the right to freedom
2. It teaches the slave to be dependent on others instead of independent
3. Takes jobs away from paid labor

Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
“Good”

1. They are cheaper than paid labor
2. Their complaints about working conditions can be ignored
3. They can be forced to do jobs no one else would do

Bad

1. All people have human dignity and the right to freedom
2. It teaches the slave to be dependent on others instead of independent
3. Takes jobs away from paid labor

That pretty much sums it up.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Three good AND three bad reasons, for presenting an argument. This is asking the children to put themselves in the mindset of those who lived in this country and others around the world 300 years ago, when people had reasons to think slavery was valid in this country and others, while others had opposite views. This is asking for use of critical thinking skills, to look back on history and try to understand what happened at the time. There is nothing wrong with this. Kids won't understand it if they aren't ever allowed to see why existed in the first place - there WERE arguments for it, hence its existence, even if today we think those reasons are terrible. People need to understand that when studying history, you cannot assign our morals and views today to past events, especially from hundreds of years ago, and get super offended at basic stuff like this. How pathetic.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I hope this private religious school does not get any form of tax paid funding!

Wauwatosa 4th graders asked to give three good reasons for slavery | The Milwaukee Independent
Somebody has been triggered. lol

Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Three good AND three bad reasons, for presenting an argument. This is asking the children to put themselves in the mindset of those who lived in this country and others around the world 300 years ago, when people had reasons to think slavery was valid in this country and others, while others had opposite views. This is asking for use of critical thinking skills, to look back on history and try to understand what happened at the time. There is nothing wrong with this. Kids won't understand it if they aren't ever allowed to see why existed in the first place - there WERE arguments for it, hence its existence, even if today we think those reasons are terrible. People need to understand that when studying history, you cannot assign our morals and views today to past events, especially from hundreds of years ago, and get super offended at basic stuff like this. How pathetic.
agreed!

To the op, (who seems to be against religious school, or maybe religion)

The non Slavery policy was first implemented in France were Slavery was ended in the 11th century. William the Conquerer took the concept to Britain. The concept then spread to the entire Catholic world. Then it spread to the entire world. In 1962 the anti Slavery idea had reached all the way to Saudi Arabia

Old 01-12-2018, 06:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
When I was in the sixth grade, we split the class up into "northerners" and "southerners" and had a similar debate on slavery and topics such as the merits of an agrarian economy versus the industrial economy of the north at that time. It's an exercise in critical thinking, debate, and understanding history.
Three things schools no longer teach students.

But they can tell you if they identify as a unicorn zombie robot.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 AM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:

Wauwatosa 4th graders asked to give three good reasons for slavery | The Milwaukee Independent
Ironically, the assignment would seem to get people to look at it from two sides which is a good thing for people to do to understand the motivations, historical context and gain a more complex understanding of a topic.

I can see how you find that to be an alien and horrifying concept.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:39 AM

1,487 posts, read 782,363 times
The educators are teaching the kids how to debate, and I think that's wonderful. To be a leader and a problem-solver, you have to try to understand everyone's motives and reasoning for their actions. Only then can you take steps to conquer what's harmful and oppressive.
You know the kids could have given "good" reasons like "then I won't have to do the work myself". They're just being asked to give three reasons in support of each side. It doesn't mean the reasons are universally accepted. They are being asked to think outside of the box. Yay!!
They are certainly not being propelled toward racism. If anything, they are being shown the attitudes and mindset which propagate hatred.

You know it's been said that people who take everything literally are not bright people with troubleshooting skills and problem-solving abilities.
In addition, having a sense of humor indicates intelligence and personality.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:

They weren't asked to give three good reasons for slavery. They were asked to give three "good" reasons, i.e., three justifications that were or could be made by others. Hence the quotes.

It's for critical thinking and to help people understand why people do things that we consider to be wrong.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
They weren't asked to give three good reasons for slavery. They were asked to give three "good" reasons, i.e., three justifications that were or could be made by others. Hence the quotes.

It's for critical thinking and to help people understand why people do things that we consider to be wrong.
Yes, it was like a debate in 10th grade world history on dropping the A-bomb vs. the Invasion of Japan. The problem we have the hindsight of what the bomb actually did so many took the side of the invasion. I took the side of the bomb. Why, my grandfather was physicalled while in the Navy for the invasion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies