Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump's statement?
Yes 229 48.21%
No 246 51.79%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Ever been to Africa? Some of the kindest people you'll ever meet in your life.
Not to defend Trump, but I doubt his opposition to third world immigration has much of anything to do with how kind he thinks the immigrants might be. He is concerned about the potential burden on social services (which contrary to the perception of many, America does have), and also his image with the xenophobic portion of his voting base.

I would guess his use of the term '****hole countries' has more to do with his opinion of what a citizen of a ****hole country can offer in terms of economic growth which is very little if he or she is an uneducated laborer with 10 relatives tagging along on his "family" visa.

Do I think Trump is racist?

Yes. In the casual way of many 70+ year old Americans who grew up in posh luxury in a fortified tower in a mega city, insulated and oblivious to the lives and concerns of his countrymen and women of any race, religious, or creed. People used to mock president George Bush, Sr. for his wild guess at a journalist's question as to whether he knew the cost of a gallon of milk. Trump is on a whole other level, another galaxy, of thought and experience. He is like a home schooled kid given millions to play with.

Does his view on race impact immigration?

Only inasmuch as it affects his popularity with his base, which is well fleshed out with an undercurrent of xenophobia and outright racist views. But I believe that if Trump thought an influx of 10,000 Haitians would somehow raise American stock and his own personal fortunes, he'd roll out a golden carpet for them. And as long as he didn't have to rub elbows with them. Unless they were super classy and liked golden napkin rings and golden toilet bowl flush levers like he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
All of my African friends are very successful, with advanced degrees. But go ahead Trump and perpetuate the myth.
All of my African friends are successful, too. I met them mostly at university, where potentially successful people meet.

I have also been to Africa, albeit a small portion of the continent, mostly East Africa, Tanzania and Kenya, but Morrocco, too. Very kind people. Also, people with backgrounds and cultural norms that would require a great effort of reflection and change in order to adapt to the norms of American society.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
China does not have a high opinion of any African nation.

China is in Africa to rape Africa.
I don't disagree and believe you are correct. They are smart enough though not to denigrate the entire continent in an open forum with the world listening.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Again I ask, what is wrong with saying some place is a s^ithole if it indeed is one?

I'm from a s^ithole. I didn't plan on being born and raised there.

I honestly have no idea why this is a controversy. Well, aside from blasting Trump every second of every day.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:17 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Again I ask, what is wrong with saying some place is a s^ithole if it indeed is one?

I'm from a s^ithole. I didn't plan on being born and raised there.

I honestly have no idea why this is a controversy. Well, aside from blasting Trump every second of every day.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:24 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I don't disagree and believe you are correct. They are smart enough though not to denigrate the entire continent in an open forum with the world listening.
a novel description of the oval office.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
But what if countries like Haiti **ARE** sh*tholes?

It's nice to have a President who tells it like it is at last. Trump was a construction guy from New York, that's the way many of them talk. And we knew that when we voted for him.

And in this case, they speak the truth.

Yet the Trump-haters continually feign "surprise" and "outrage", as they do every time Trump acts like Trump.

Haiti has had more natural disasters, it seems, per person that almost every other nation on earth. That's not their fault. The destructions and death tolls have been horrible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sters_in_Haiti

Thy also get massive aid, before and after. The United States is the principal benefactor, and we don't begrudge them a penny. (Where are the other countries who criticize the US for being "heartless" or "stingy"? How much are they contributing to help out?)

Parts of Haiti get rebuilt, sometimes, after each disaster. But much of the island remains poor, broken-down, disease-ridden, even years or decades afterward, despite the massive aid from countries like the U.S.

Yes, it's very tough, after the disasters they have had. But do they have something better to do than rebuild and help themselves, in the years following the latest disaster (such as the earthquake of 2010), especially with the massive aid?

Haiti is, in fact, a sh*thole. President Trump was speaking no more than the truth. Crudely, but appropriately. The Haitians are struggling to live, but not so much to rebuild. They seem to want no more than more alms from countries like America, to stave off the disease, homelessness and starvation that never seem to recede in much of the land, even years later.

There's a name for countries like that. What's wrong with the President telling the truth and naming it?
What's wrong with calling a country an S-hole? It's called having respect for other people's countries. It's called having some empathy. It's called not being an a-hole. You can say "Haiti is in bad shape". You say "Haiti is a hard place to live". People will get the point. But when you literally insult another person's country, that just screams bigot.

If what you were looking for was a candidate who was crass, coarse, and vulgar, then we have alot of problems right here in America. Answer this. Did Trump really have to say that? Could Trump not get his point across any other way than being coarse, vulgar, and bigoted? What was the point of being vulgar and insulting?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:37 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I've also heard them call Trump all kinds of nasty names such as Orangeman, Cheeto and far worse. What a bunch of hypocrites they are. Trump states the truth about some countries and they get their panties all in a wad and immediately pull the race card. A country isn't a race it's a piece of land.
People that have immigrated from 'those countries' have a higher rate of advanced degree's, professional positions, and generally more civic minded than their counterparts.

But that part is lost on Trump supporters.

My family doctor when I was a kid was from India- came to the US in the early 70's. Wonderful man still practicing medicine. My son recently met with a group of Kenyan's that traveled to the US to work with 'Engineers without Borders'. He has an open invitation to work in Kenya- their friendship and openness impressed my son. And they are devout, practicing Christians.

Not sure what 'truth' you are alluding to- the one you want to believe, or the one that is true.

It's kinda funny- illiterate, poor, whites just soak up what Trump says, when in reality they live in conditions no better than the places he referred to as '****holes'. I know- I lived in WV for 15 years.

It's an odd relationship, indeed. Makes no sense.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM

There are those who say "Trump only said that to troll the liberals". Anyone who wants a President who loves angering people, making enemies for himself, and trolling people is only showing how petulant and unstable they can be.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:46 PM

I get that we should have merit based immigration. We should control our borders and enforce the immigration laws we have. Trump could have easily said that. Instead, he took the route of a bully. How hard is that to comprehend?

Old 01-12-2018, 05:51 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Those of you who are upset over Trump saying a "bad" word. For your reading pleasure I give you this: Political Profanity: Obama Among Presidents Who Swear - TIME

FDR, Johnson, Obama, VP Biden, Nixon, GWB, VP Cheney.....

As for it being a racist comment, it is far from it. He was talking about countries. It amazes me how people try to spin things for their agenda and to find a reason to get angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies