Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump's statement?
Yes 229 48.21%
No 246 51.79%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
You didn't mention Latin America, but I'll assume you believe the continent is also improvished and consists of third world countries. So therefore, people coming from these places can't contribute, correct? That's ultimately the issue, yes?
Go back to my original post. I mentioned Haiti, as the article directly did, and I mentioned parts of both Africa and Latin America (I did not get specific). I am not going to break down any and every country when my point that a lot of these areas are second and third world countries and are much different from the US is a valid one. I was commenting primarily on whether the countries actually do qualify as "sh*tholes" to our standards, as that is the word Trump used.

I believe people who come from these types of countries can contribute in some ways but that we should limit immigration to a merit-based system and focus on accepting people with skills and who can bring some of their own wealth, education, and skills to this country to benefit us, and not come here poor and low-skilled just to rely on welfare and need help. We need to balance who we let in, IMO, and focus primarily on bringing people in who will not be a burden on us as a nation. It is not our job to fix the poverty of the world and accept any and all struggling people. Harsh as it sounds, it isn't, and we have ourselves and our own nation to look out for. We have our fair share of poor and struggling people already. We don't need a bunch rolling in from countries like Haiti.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Trump blasts protections for immigrants from

Trump cites '****hole countries' as he rejects bipartisan deal - CNNPolitics

It just gets better and better. I am so glad that America has a President that tells it like it is to protect the American people.

Every minute, Every hour, Every Day President Trump shows time and time again that he always puts America first and foremost without exception.

So glad that we don't have arrogant, politically-correct liberals running this country like Germany, Sweden, France.

So many cities across America are becoming more and more like third-world countries because of tens of thousands of welfare shoppers manipulating for-profit rich non-profits into letting these so-called refugees come to America and bring third-world living conditions to our formally proud neighborhoods.

How is trashing a less fortunate country protecting the American people? I'm not seeing the connection.
As to your second point, lousy conditions in America like you described are always ANOTHER countries fault??? If it wasn't for immigrants of those lesser countries, American society would be Shangr-La? You don't think all that strife could be America's own fault due to income disparity? Nope since Obama is no longer in office, the blame has to switch to immigrants.
Deranged Donnie and his Offal Office always get a pass

Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
So let's look at the running Trump tally:
Mexicans - "rapists"
Haiti and Africa - "****holes"
Women - "nasty" and "disgusting"
Sen Warren - "Pocahontas"
Pres Obama - said he was not born in the USA
Muslims - ban them
KKK and Alt-Right - "very fine people"

See a pattern here?

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
Trump needs to be impeached. He is a blight on this nation. Like his supporters, he is a petulant, destructive toddler, has no capacity for intelligent thought or diplomacy, and is simply too ignorant to be taken seriously.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Haiti and Africa - "****holes"
Africa is by far the poorest continent on earth. MOST African countries have a GDP per capita of less than $5,000.

So, even though Trump's choice of words was inappropriate, let's not kid ourselves about the reality.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:03 AM

10 posts, read 5,032 times
As an individual from a homogenous nation,

America is a cautionary tale of what occurs when you give the left control of major industries such as media, academia and parts of government.

You will be replaced, your heritage torn down and in the meantime you will be labeled a racist/bigot if you don't support the cause. This is why liberalism has failed to catch on anywhere else in the World beyond Western-Europe. The World is watching and they don't like what they are seeing.

As for Republicans in America. They need to realize the game is over. White people from Europe and Australia are increasingly turned off at the prospect of immigrating to a "brown country" and living as a minority.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Ignoring the language, which is inappropriate and unpresidential, was what he said about those countries wrong? Are they not the best countries to live in? Haiti, I learned in school, is one of the poorest countries in the world. I heard, recently, that their government wasn't the best either. Also, it's known that Mexico has a country that has corrupt leaders (worse than ours) and has many in office in league with the drug cartels. Guatemala isn't that great either. They do have government healthcare, but it's not great, and I heard they discriminate against Mayans. El Salvador is also pretty sad.

Also, I looked up temporary protected status. Loads of countries are getting it from US. Tons of them had it for years (hardly temporary!) and everyone is now mad that Trump is saying that it's time to go back home.

Also, if you think sending them back home is bad, then, by that alone, you're admitting that he's RIGHT that their countries are craphole countries.
You need to go back to school and I won’t discuss your critical thinking skills because it’s late.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This is such a bull**** comment the places with the highest minimum wage in the US also have the highest poverty rate and highest cost of living. Florida and Texas have the fastest growing wages with very low minimum wages and very low cost of living. It's the government who ruined Haiti through corruption and mismanagement. Raising the minimum wage will only cause more unemployment there, government fixing prices doesnt work.

Didn't read the article?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
All the SJW acting like they go visit Haiti and Africa all the time and that they are 'just as good as America"
Uh huh...
Right.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 5,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
Once upon a time, Italian, Irish, and Slavic immigrants to America were mistreated and called nasty things because WASPs thought lowly of those respective homelands.

By Pres. Trump's definition, those places would have been considered "****holes" at the time.

Ireland - widespread famine
Eastern Europe - wars/poverty
Italy - poverty

People immigrate primarily for 2 reasons
1.) They want better economic opportunities for themselves and their families
2.) They are escaping war/violence

If you are living the good life in Monaco, then you have no reason to emigrate to America.
If you are living under repression or in a terrible economy, you're going to emigrate.

What's the difference between an immigrant from Poland in 1918 vs an immigrant from Ghana in 2018? If both followed the law, respect American values, and work hard why can't both come here?
Polish immigrants were ridiculed up until the 2000's. The country still to this day doesn't have Visa-less travel. So by your own analogy, Trump's criticism of Africa is on par with American History.

Current day America wants to participate in and be the driving force for globalization. Most of the globe is 3rd World. So clearly America will increasingly import 3rd Worlders. Can America properly educate them, offer them health care, proper housing? Based on how certain demographics such as blacks are still struggling to break thru - I'm wagering that as a No. But America is more focused on building Wal-Marts and McDonalds on each street block than becoming a beaming example of excellence.

USA is the nation to earn $$$. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by sunnydayss; 01-12-2018 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies