Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times

Advertisements

This is getting scary. It killed a 21 year old bodybuilder.

Local 21-year-old dies of flu complications | WPXI

Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
100th anniversary: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I had a flu back in November I am pretty sure was this super-duper bad flu going around. It was easily the worst flu I have ever had, and it affected me for almost the entire month. In fact, even into December, and a tiny bit up to now, I still affected me some.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
I went to the Dr in Dec thinking I had the flu. The Dr told me how the flu shot is only 10% effective this year and also congratulated me on not getting it. Which I have never had that happen before.

There is also a horrible viral infection going around that mimics many of the symptoms of the flu. My neighbor has been recovering from it for a week now and I still have the dang cough from it. This viral infection has landed both of us in the Dr office...her in the ER.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I went to the Dr in Dec thinking I had the flu. The Dr told me how the flu shot is only 10% effective this year and also congratulated me on not getting it. Which I have never had that happen before.

There is also a horrible viral infection going around that mimics many of the symptoms of the flu. My neighbor has been recovering from it for a week now and I still have the dang cough from it. This viral infection has landed both of us in the Dr office...her in the ER.
If something lasts a month it's probably a viral infection, not the flu.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post

The 10% is a number that came from some Australian data. It seems to be protecting about 40% of those who received it in the US and, since it has a strain of the virus causing all the grief this year, even when it does not prevent the flu it does lessen symptoms and duration.

My daughter a health worker who was vaccinated got a fairly mild infection. My wife and I also vaccinated did not catch it from her though she recuperated at our house. I feel invincible now!

Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
The flu is a viral infection. And this year's strain is a lingering one. People I know who got it have one thing or another from cough to sinus complications for about 3 weeks and 4 until it completely clears up.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
The flu is a viral infection. Maybe you meant viral pneumonia?

And yeah, bug season is in full bloom. I'm out of commission myself at the moment. :/

Old 01-11-2018, 09:04 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Never said I had the flu. I said I had a viral infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The 10% is a number that came from some Australian data. It seems to be protecting about 40% of those who received it in the US and, since it has a strain of the virus causing all the grief this year, even when it does not prevent the flu it does lessen symptoms and duration.

My daughter a health worker who was vaccinated got a fairly mild infection. My wife and I also vaccinated did not catch it from her though she recuperated at our house. I feel invincible now!
I just repeated what the Dr I saw told me because they have seen just in their office a major increase of the flu shot not working for those who had received the immunization.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Every year, there are tens of thousands of influenza-related deaths in the US. Deaths from Flu - RightDiagnosis.com

These are usually children and people with compromised immune systems.

People take it so casually, they come to work while they are actively shedding virus particles, and if they don't come to work, their boss pressures them. I was a nurse in a previous life and I vividly remember the nursing supervisor who did her best to get me to come to work when I called in sick with the flu. My patient? A man in the ICU who had had such a bad case of pneumonia that he had had a tracheotomy and was on a respirator.

I got a bit upset at her. The idea was nuts, and she knew it.

For most of us, most of the time, the flu is not a problem. But please, stay home and avoid spreading it if you can. The person you pass it on to might have a real problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies