Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 10:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
LOL. Are you, like, the COO of CD? I didn't realize the rules were that specific.

Like I said, I have a vague idea of what he said, but, no, I haven't followed it. So, sue me. I liked the topic of this thread, and though I figured it was associated with his comment, it doesn't mention Trump directly. I tend to avoid those.

Do you always find it "rich" when someone, in your opinion, fails to adequately keep up with the neverending circus of American politics? If I kept up with all the manufactured drama from both sides, not only would I do little else, but I'd be perennially pi$$ed off, like lots of other people are. No, thanks. Sometimes, a certain level of ignorance really is bliss.
I said that because you had this lengthy reply to me a few pages ago that got even crazier and more irrelevant, and this whole time you don't even know why I was saying what I was in the first place. I suspected you didn't understand what I was talking about/why, but thanks for finally confirming.

Here is some context for you.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ations-n836946

This all stems from something Trump said recently, in private, that was leaked. SO we don't even have exact quotes OR know for sure whether what is alleged to have been said was true. Basically, during a meeting on immigration policy, specifically during a part when he was being briefed on countries we give special consideration to when people want to immigrate here, he asked why we give this special consideration to such "s*ithole" (aka basically third world) countries, when we should really want people from places LIKE Norway (he apparently said Norway because he recently met with or spoke with someone from Norway, so the country was fresh in his mind... he could have said literally any first world country; this is what I have heard but no confirmation on this part AFAIK). But no apparent rhyme or reason for him to say Norway, it was random. The point he was making was NOT about Norway, as I will get to now.

Based on the context we DO have, it seems he was commenting on the socioeconomic, educational, etc. levels of people who typically immigrate here from each type of area (3rd and 1st world nations). Basically, his view is that we, as a country, should want to accept more financially stable, educated, skilled people from places like Norway rather than poor, uneducated, unskilled people from places like Haiti.

He wants merit-based immigration, not the visa lottery system. What's important is that literally all he is saying is that he wants merit-based immigration. This isn't even about Norway a little bit.

But then, of course, the internet started trolling him, including people from Norway, because people are that dense and childish and cannot just see a basic point for what it is, and started turning this into a "why would we even want to move to the US anyway?" thing. Hence some of what I previously said.

Edit: It appears both links now aren't working... no clue why. But this stuff is all easily google-able right now, but those two articles I quickly found were quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I said that because you had this lengthy reply to me a few pages ago that got even crazier and more irrelevant, and this whole time you don't even know why I was saying what I was in the first place. I suspected you didn't understand what I was talking about/why, but thanks for finally confirming.

Here is some context for you.

This all stems from something Trump said recently, in private, that was leaked. SO we don't even have exact quotes OR know for sure whether what is alleged to have been said was true. Basically, during a meeting on immigration policy, specifically during a part when he was being briefed on countries we give special consideration to when people want to immigrate here, he asked why we give this special consideration to such "s*ithole" (aka basically third world) countries, when we should really want people from places LIKE Norway (he apparently said Norway because he recently met with or spoke with someone from Norway, so the country was fresh in his mind... he could have said literally any first world country; this is what I have heard but no confirmation on this part AFAIK). But no apparent rhyme or reason for him to say Norway, it was random. The point he was making was NOT about Norway, as I will get to now.

Based on the context we DO have, it seems he was commenting on the socioeconomic, educational, etc. levels of people who typically immigrate here from each type of area (3rd and 1st world nations). Basically, his view is that we, as a country, should want to accept more financially stable, educated, skilled people from places like Norway rather than poor, uneducated, unskilled people from places like Haiti.

He wants merit-based immigration, not the visa lottery system. What's important is that literally all he is saying is that he wants merit-based immigration. This isn't even about Norway a little bit.

But then, of course, the internet started trolling him, including people from Norway, because people are that dense and childish and cannot just see a basic point for what it is, and started turning this into a "why would we even want to move to the US anyway?" thing. Hence some of what I previously said.

Edit: It appears both links now aren't working... no clue why. But this stuff is all easily google-able right now, but those two articles I quickly found were quite good.
Thanks.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:22 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Thanks.
You're welcome.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:48 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
? San Antonio is 63% Hispanic and I have never heard anything but good things about the river walk the food etc , West Virginia is a gorgeous state but has declined with coal mining and has all of around 1.8 million residents, less than my metro area .
Hispanic and foreign born are now interchangeable? Go to the ghettos of the city not just the tourist areas. It seems to me that a lot of Americans know less about their own country than they like to admit.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Oh this thread..of course not. Norway is an amazing country. Very few would be nuts enough to willingly downgrade to the US.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:15 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
In light of the supposed recent comments by Trump suggesting that the US needs more immigrants from places like Norway, do Americans really believe that a large influx of people from places with as high a quality of life as Norway really would want to emigrate there? Or was it just hyperbole?

Realize that I'm not talking about a few here and there for specific job opportunities, I mean a large influx of immigrants from those places; sometimes by what I hear some Americans say it seems they believe even people from Scandinavia are lining up to go to the US. Do people really generally believe this?

I would think that Americans would understand supply and demand a little better to comprehend why only people from "the worst countries on earth" want to go over there en mass.

Where is this "there" you are referring to?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
In light of the supposed recent comments by Trump suggesting that the US needs more immigrants from places like Norway, do Americans really believe that a large influx of people from places with as high a quality of life as Norway really would want to emigrate there? Or was it just hyperbole?

Realize that I'm not talking about a few here and there for specific job opportunities, I mean a large influx of immigrants from those places; sometimes by what I hear some Americans say it seems they believe even people from Scandinavia are lining up to go to the US. Do people really generally believe this?
Why does it matter?

Quote:
I would think that Americans would understand supply and demand a little better to comprehend why only people from "the worst countries on earth" want to go over there en mass.
Agreed. And? So?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Oh this thread..of course not. Norway is an amazing country. Very few would be nuts enough to willingly downgrade to the US.
Where do you live?

Old 01-14-2018, 10:34 PM

672 posts, read 502,230 times
Quote:

Will My Norwegian, German, English and Irish Ancestors wanted to live here but that was in the 1800s. I don't see why Nroweigna would wnat to lvie ehre now tbh as everytinhg free and one of the happiest counties one Earth

Old 01-16-2018, 10:40 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Yeah Im sure they are lining up at olso airport just to come here.
Who in their right mind would come from a country with one of the best healthcare systems to a country with one of the worst.From a safe country to one where there are shootings everyday.Yep I can just see them lining up at olso airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies