Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 11:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's a bonus. Who wants a large influx of immigrants to begin with? I certainly don't.

To me immigration should be the lowest in quantity and highest in quality.

I also think immigrants' origins should also match America's historical demographics like the policy before 1965. Merit based and ~82% European, 12% African, 3% latin American 2% Asian origin or such.
There were no limits on immigration from Latin America and the Caribbean before 1965, and severe restrictions on immigration from continental Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
There were no limits on immigration from Latin America and the Caribbean before 1965, and severe restrictions on immigration from continental Europe.
You are partially right about there were no quantitative restrictions on latin America but qualitative ones or merit based and low immigration from there. And the 1965 immigration did place quotas on latin America and actually saw a rise in latin American immigration by illegal entry. There was not restrictions on Europe per se just national origins quotas on eastern and southern European countries and all eligible countries based on the 1890 US census.

I'm not saying it should be exactly like the pre-1965 Immigration law, just similar.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:41 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
High tax, high return only works in countries with low corruption. Which Norway is.
Correct.

And let me finish that for you:

....and America is not...Voting in elections merely elevates one form of corruption over the other. Bloated and wasteful welfare state vs. bloated & wasteful warfare state. The two just take turns.

We actually already spend enough money on health care to cover the whole population without needing to spend another dime. Just one example I could give.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Norway is changing. There is an influx of outsiders coming in. Norway is a very respectful, gentle society. It takes me a while to get used to how polite they are when I'm around my Norwegian relatives. They really listen when you speak, unlike Americans that ignore half of what you say. They are seeing the first violent crime they have virtually ever seen from these refugees coming in. Norwegians do not hurt one another...ever. They are getting a small dose of reality..but nothing like Sweden, France and England. I hope they put the brakes on it or a beautiful society will go the way of the Dodo.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
As a general rule, it would be the rich Norwegians coming here, and the poor Americans going there. At least, until they went bankrupt.
And that proves the whole point about immigration from poor countries.

America is getting a lot of poor immigrants who will eventually bankrupt us. It's not the 19th century any more. Most 3rd World immigrants, especially those who come here illegally, aren't prepared to live in a 1st World economy. Heck, a lot of native born Americans can't compete in our economy, yet we allow millions to come here illegally. How does that make sense? It doesn't, unless you've got a power elite with ulterior motives using 'compassion' as their smokescreen.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Of course they don't want to move here, and now especially more than ever. They don't even want to visit the USA with the current xenophobic ass in the WH. He's taking the US down, while the Europeans are doing just fine.
That's pretty funny calling America xenophobic. We've allowed more mass immigration than any other country on the planet. Norway has super tight immigration. People like to talk about the higher quality of life there. Did anyone consider part of the reason for that is their culture is much more homogenous and the fact that they don't just allow people to immigrate there willy nilly like we do in America????

Old 01-16-2018, 11:52 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's pretty funny calling America xenophobic. We've allowed more mass immigration than any other country on the planet. Norway has super tight immigration. People like to talk about the higher quality of life there. Did anyone consider part of the reason for that is their culture is much more homogenous and the fact that they don't just allow people to immigrate there willy nilly like we do in America????
What a ridiculous post you quoted. America is the #1 travel destination for Norwegians. They absolutely love America.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I will say with confidence that Norway's economic system will never happen here and not simply because we are not homogeneous, but because the majority of our leaders on both sides of the aisle along with the media are self-serving, elitist pr**ks that prey on the division of voters.

It goes back to that corruption thing.

Liberals tend to think if you just pay more taxes and spend more money, it will fix everything. Maybe if they focused more on making the welfare state we already have actually work well, more conservative leaning folks would support it.

Norway & the Scandinavian countries have welfare states that actually work well. America's welfare state is skimpier, but what we do have is inefficient and corrupt. But liberals will not admit that.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 PM

343 posts, read 306,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I repeat Norway has a higher percentage of foreign born population than the US.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People don't risk their lives crossing the desert from Mexico into the US because they want to. Or float on sketchy boats the 90 miles from Cuba to Florida, hoping it works out, because they want to. They do it because they feel like they need to.
I would say they feel they have nothing to lose, whereas if you're relatively comfortable where you are, you have more to lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies