Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Out of Norways 5.1 million people 506 immigrated to the US
Out of the US 320 million 800+/- immigrated to Norway

A higher percentage of Norwegians went to the US than vice versa. You can never compare the two, Norway is smaller in population than New Jersey!

Norway is not a peer to the United States.
So on a per capita basis, Norwegians were 40 times more likely to emigrate to the USA than Americans were likely to emigrate to Norway. Must be awful there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You're either really bad with math or in denial.

From a cost standpoint it just isn't. Private or public, America's health care is the world's most inefficient.
I've used it for 8 years. It is efficient and is very good health insurance. The vast majority of those on it like it. A lot.

Remember that yes Medicare costs more but it also covers the oldest and sickest (those on disability) people in this country. Those who are far more likely (and do) need more, expensive medical care. In fact, Medicare was implemented because private insurance companies refused to cover those that Medicare does.

You are the one in denial about this topic. You really should read up on it.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
In light of the supposed recent comments by Trump suggesting that the US needs more immigrants from places like Norway, do Americans really believe that a large influx of people from places with as high a quality of life as Norway really would want to emigrate there? Or was it just hyperbole?

Realize that I'm not talking about a few here and there for specific job opportunities, I mean a large influx of immigrants from those places; sometimes by what I hear some Americans say it seems they believe even people from Scandinavia are lining up to go to the US. Do people really generally believe this?

I would think that Americans would understand supply and demand a little better to comprehend why only people from "the worst countries on earth" want to go over there en mass.
If you are a productive, middle class person in Norway who can be economically independent in the US then life in America is better with lower taxes, lower cost of living and more money kept in your own pocket. You will still afford your own health insurance etc. If you are a Norwegian or other European who is dependent on the government then you are better off in your own country since welfare, socialized medicine, even Obamacare is still less generous than in Europe.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I've used it for 8 years. It is efficient and is very good health insurance. The vast majority of those on it like it. A lot.
That's not valid criteria.

It's not cost efficient. Most people don't really know the true cost of our health care because they don't see the whole bill. Most people suck at efficiency and spotting inefficiency, especially when it's not coming directly out of their own pockets. But all you have to do is look at per capita spending on health care in all the other developed countries. It's typically half of what we spend in America. About 50% of our health care dollars are funded by taxpayer money. That means we're already spending enough on Medicare/Medicaid to cover the whole country.

People are blind to the waste in our health care system because they don't know any different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Remember that yes Medicare costs more but it also covers the oldest and sickest (those on disability) people in this country. Those who are far more likely (and do) need more, expensive medical care. In fact, Medicare was implemented because private insurance companies refused to cover those that Medicare does.

You are the one in denial about this topic. You really should read up on it.
DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU THAT MAYBE I DID READ UP ON IT AND THAT I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE BETTER EDUCATED ON IT HAN YOU?????

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING UP ON IT FOR DECADES. I'VE LOOKED AT THE NUMBERS FOR DECADES. THEY SUCK!

Even the mainstream media has written numerous articles over the years showing how cost bloated our health care system is.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...ther-countries

One woman even wrote a whole book about it called Who Killed Health Care?

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Killed-He...ed+health+care

And then there's The Blue Zones author Dan Buettner who says we could bypass about $1 TRILLION in health care costs by living healthier lifestyles. It turns out the world's healthiest and longest lived populations don't spend much on health care at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=377s

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-17-2018 at 03:49 AM..

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Not really, the only incentive people from there that move to the States is due to job offers. Actually way far more people wish to move to Norway than leave Norway.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:45 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
So on a per capita basis, Norwegians were 40 times more likely to emigrate to the USA than Americans were likely to emigrate to Norway. Must be awful there.
People keep saying how much better Norway is than America. Yet the average house size in Norway is about 1,290 square feet.

That would be considered a starter home in most of America.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:51 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:

It goes back to that corruption thing.

Liberals tend to think if you just pay more taxes and spend more money, it will fix everything. Maybe if they focused more on making the welfare state we already have actually work well, more conservative leaning folks would support it.

Norway & the Scandinavian countries have welfare states that actually work well. America's welfare state is skimpier, but what we do have is inefficient and corrupt. But liberals will not admit that.
I'm a "liberal" by American standards, and I admit that.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People keep saying how much better Norway is than America. Yet the average house size in Norway is about 1,290 square feet.

That would be considered a starter home in most of America.
Only in America (and a few other countries like Canada) so many people live in big houses. Many upper middle class people in rich countries live in apartment buildings.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:58 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Yay. That's a start.

It's a good question. I can only speculate on the answer. I would say that low corruption and high trust cultures tend to be small and culturally homogenous. I know American liberals hate to hear that since "diversity" is one of their sacred cows. The problem is, once you make something a sacred cow is you never admit that there's a dark side. Not saying diversity is all bad, but it's clearly not all good. The left can't/won't admit this.

I think the other part of it is we really are a greedy culture. Liberals are quick to point out greed in business--and often rightly so. But they are blind to greed and complacency in government--for the same reason they are loathe to admit diversity isn't always a positive thing. The welfare state to liberals is considered automatically good. They can't admit that it has flaws--so they deny or minimize them.

So I would say America has a culture of greed. Liberals make a mistake by thinking it's only people in the private sector who are greedy. I work in the public sector. Public sector unions are just as greedy and selfish as any other interest group.

Agreed. I can't speak for Latin America. But in America, it's all about I, Me, and Mine, as others have already said. But liberals only apply that to big business, and ignore the greed and complacency in the public sector. That's partly because they're blind to it, but also because it takes a slightly different form. In government, it's often more in the form of complacency, and the spoils are somewhat more evenly doled out among the rank and file--so it makes the selfishness a bit more garden variety, but spread among more people. It's less noticeable and doesn't generate as many news headlines, but that doesn't mean it's not damaging. In the private sector, the spoils of greed are doled out among those at the very top--so it's more obvious.

Well, I already repped you once, so I couldn't again. Once again, this "liberal" agrees with you. In fact, I couldn't agree with you more, except with the part about "low corruption and high trust cultures tend to be small and culturally homogenous" part. Canada and Australia have, yes, much smaller populations than we do, but they are just as diverse. The foreign-born pops in both countries are significantly higher than in the US.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
That's not valid criteria.

It's not cost efficient. Most people don't really know the true cost of our health care because they don't see the whole bill. Most people suck at efficiency and spotting inefficiency, especially when it's not coming directly out of their own pockets. But all you have to do is look at per capita spending on health care in all the other developed countries. It's typically half of what we spend in America. About 50% of our health care dollars are funded by taxpayer money. That means we're already spending enough on Medicare/Medicaid to cover the whole country.

People are blind to the waste in our health care system because they don't know any different.

DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU THAT MAYBE I DID READ UP ON IT AND THAT I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE BETTER EDUCATED ON IT HAN YOU?????

I'VE BEEN FOLLOWING UP ON IT FOR DECADES. I'VE LOOKED AT THE NUMBERS FOR DECADES. THEY SUCK!

Even the mainstream media has written numerous articles over the years showing how cost bloated our health care system is.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...ther-countries

One woman even wrote a whole book about it called Who Killed Health Care?

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Killed-He...ed+health+care

And then there's The Blue Zones author Dan Buettner who says we could bypass about $1 TRILLION in health care costs by living healthier lifestyles. It turns out the world's healthiest and longest lived populations don't spend much on health care at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGHi6aMzh8&t=377s
No, it doesn't occur to me that you are better educated on it. Because you aren't. Not about Medicare.

Personally, I think that the entire health care system in this country is going to collapse (sooner than later). The only good part of it is Medicare. And eventually, it or a variation of it will form the base for what follows. That is the only logical alternative remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies