Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:44 AM

856 posts, read 704,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Why would any Republican primary Trump?

He's doing a terrific job. Just read where he is one of the best presidents ever.

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
You lost me and all credibility with the village idiot of Ohio....Kasich
John Kasich is a big government "Republican." This post isn't just about who I personally want to be President, it's about Republicans who could challenge Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Ted Cruz - No chance. I like him, but I like him as a senator from Texas. I wish Trump had nominated him for AG. But he couldn't beat Trump and there is something about him that annoys the hell out of RINO's.

Justin Amash - No chance. He's too young, too libertarian, didn't endorse Trump and was for impeaching him.

Ben Sasse - No chance. I don't know if he's a never Trumper, but he didn't support him. Sasse might be from Nebraska, but he is very much a critter of DC, and the swamp does not like Trump.

John Kasich - No chance. nononsenseguy has it exactly right...Kasich is like a bad cold that won't go away.

Mark Sanford - No chance. He cheated then got really weird for awhile. Marriages go south, I get it, people fool around on their spouses, I get that too. But Sanford handled the whole thing very poorly. These kinds of things really are a measure of the man and Sanford blew it.

Peter Schiff aka Dr. Doom - No chance. Okay, I like Schiff. I wouldn't follow his financial advice, but he's fun to listen to on the radio. But the guy is Mr Wall St and wouldn't stand a chance when the MSM started their usual smears.

Susana Martinez - Maybe. What I've seen of her I've liked. She gets little to no exposure here in NY

Mike Lee - No chance. I like Mike Lee, but he's a product of the Tea Party and he initially endorsed Roy Moore, both of which the MSM will hang around his neck while painting him a white racist.

Tom Massie - Don't know anything about him

Jeff Flake - No chance. He's the Democrats favorite Republican because he rips Trump.

Just a couple thoughts. Remember when Hillary, the MSM and all the libs on CD mocked Trump when he refused to say if he would accept the outcome of the elections? Trump has a very loyal coalition of Dems, Reps and independents, and you Democrats and libs and never Trumpers have no idea how pizzed off Trump supporters are over the Russian fairy tale and Democrats stubborn refusal to accept the outcome of the elections. No Trump supporter is going to vote for a never Trumper or Republican that endorses impeachment of Trump
On Justin Amash, the translation is he's too intelligent and right on the issues to challenge Trump. I disagree, I think Amash is exactly what America needs - someone who believes in the constitution, limited government, free markets, sound money, and a strong national defense as opposed to more foreign policy adventurism.

Ben Sasse was an original Never Trumper and while he did work in D.C., he's most certainly not part of the culture of Washington D.C.

Sanford admits his wrongdoing. Has Trump ever done that?

I think you and I agree on a lot, but I have to disagree with parts of your analysis here. That said, it is clear you are thoughtful and I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Already posted this in the other "GOP to primary Trump in 2020" thread, and since this is the same nonsense, copy/paste should suffice:

Just going to keep reposting this every time some new round of absurdly wishful thinking pops up. It's the same nonsense that went on for 8 years about what will happen once they finally nail down that birth certificate thing on Obama, or once they figure out Dubyah didn't serve his proper time in the TANG, or once they prove any one of the hundreds of crimes Clinton was accused of, etc. He will not get primaried by his own party, and if he does, it's the RNC blowing money to help the DNC in a desperate attempt to have a POTUS that they can control better.
Unfortunately, a number of the things you have said are either factually incorrect or pure speculation. In 2017, the wages of Americans continued to stagnate as we saw the slowest job growth since 2012. He's cutting $250 million from a $8 billion UN budget, that's hardly more than a talking point. I was pleased when he got us out of the Paris Accord, but this week he said we could reenter that agreement.

Your argument about incumbents not losing primaries is correct in my opinion, but since Trump broke the rules of traditional politics, who says he's the only one who can do so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2020 as he should be.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Trump will be the Republican nominee for President in 2020 as he should be.
And hopefully, he will lose bigly!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
Unfortunately, a number of the things you have said are either factually incorrect or pure speculation. In 2017, the wages of Americans continued to stagnate as we saw the slowest job growth since 2012.
That tax law will add money to paychecks in 2018. That's a simple, easily verifiable fact.
Quote:
He's cutting $250 million from a $8 billion UN budget, that's hardly more than a talking point.
Completely defunding our portion of the UN and kicking their building off US soil is popular with a majority of Americans and has been for about 20 years. Actually dropping our funding by a substantial (to them) amount is proper response for the UN's policy of the last 40 years being a weekly condemnation of either the US or Israel or both.
Quote:
I was pleased when he got us out of the Paris Accord, but this week he said we could reenter that agreement.
Since the Paris Accord is literally nothing more than vague suggestions, pinky swears and bluster, whether we are in or not is moot. I like telling the MMGW cult to get bent, but their absurd belief that the Paris Accord is any way meaningful in any way is troubling regardless of our participation or lack thereof.
Quote:
Your argument about incumbents not losing primaries is correct in my opinion, but since Trump broke the rules of traditional politics, who says he's the only one who can do so?
They said the same thing about Ford after he pardoned Nixon. I know because I grew up in DC, my parents were huge Ford supporters, and I was bombarded with hearing about Reagan and the primary of 1976. Oh no, it never happens, but Ford is special because...

It's wishful thinking and will not happen.

What is most surprising is how Trump, even now, is still underestimated. No chance in the primaries, no chance after this debate gaff of that, no chance once the field narrowed, no chance v Hillary, no chance, no chance, no chance, no chance etc. And he keeps winning.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:

Sanford admits his wrongdoing. Has Trump ever done that?

Sanford first. From Wikipedia - In June 2009 and after an unexplained disappearance that made nation frontlines, Sanford publicly revealed that he had engaged in an affair with María Belén Chapur, an Argentine woman. While it led to censure by the South Carolina General Assembly and his resignation as chairman of the Republican Governors Association, it did not result in Sanford's actual resignation from the governorship."

Do you remember that time? The whole disappearing act shocked the nation. You can get away with that kind of behavior on a state level...you can even get reelected on a state level, but you can't get away with it on a national level.

Like it or not...Trump is unique. I'm not sure there is a Republican out there who can seriously challenge him right now. None of them have his daring, his bravado and his willingness to take risks. The man really is hell on wheels. He smashed the traditional rules and I don't see any serious competition for Trump if he runs again in 2020. Especially if he keeps getting things done.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:57 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,984,560 times
Quote:
Kasich and Flake are moderates and as a right-wing libertarian, I don't agree with them on many issues. However, I'd take either one of them over Trump.

He's doing a great job? His record is similar to Obama's. Last year, we had the weakest job growth in six years. Wages remain stagnant. The deficit increased by $600 billion and the national debt is now over $20 trillion. His economic and foreign policy record is essentially a continuation of the previous administration for the most part.

Interesting. Personally, I would like to see Sasse or Amash run most of the people on this list.

I think you have a great analysis here. The only thing I take exception to is Congressman Amash. He's a principled, consistent, and intelligent libertarian who cares more about doing what's right than a single party of party politics. Also, while I do believe Nikki Haley would be a strong candidate, I'm not sure Trump's UN Ambassador would ever consider opposing him.

I voted for Gary Johnson in 2016. I generally support the Republican nominee but I could not and did not vote for Donald Trump. From now on, I only vote for the lesser of two evils when one of the bad candidates is dangerously bad.
Which is why I voted for Trump. Didn't really believe he was going to try to do what he claimed on the campaign trail, and warned his legions of followers, but reluctantly voted for him to keep the disaster known as Hillary from winning.

2020 will be interesting for me, trying to find a party/candidate I can vote for.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
President Trump will have accomplished so many of his campaign promises by 2020 I don't think he'll run again in spite of a national cry for him to go for two terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies