Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:31 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IMO, people like Trump, Hillary etc, have never had to struggle for anything or do any sort of work that made them break a sweat. And they will never know so they all assume that people who are fleeing these countries are the worst of the worst that's NOT they want a better life for themselves. And who wouldn't?
Can tell me that you would try to move some place better if you came from one of these place.
And what Trump said was this " He said I ASSUME some are good people." This nation was built BY those who came from other countries.
Trump worked his butt off to win. Going to 5 rallies in one day. Hillary every few days gave ten minute speeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Trump wasn't wrong about other countries, either:

I figure if people can walk around in pink hats, dress up like lady parts, and talk non stop about their lady parts, then they can handle hearing the word "****hole" throughout this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fSRTQ4Sc4k

Shouldn't be any questions after that.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:01 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If Trump were wrong, then why don't all the Haitian refugees want to return back to their island? It is a sh*thole country where the only "nice" areas are the ones designated for tourism because tourism is such an important part of Haiti's economy... that an all the US dollars that the Haitians in America send back to their families.

And Africa is a sh*thole continent. Otherwise, why are so many Africans trying to escape to Europe? Instead, why don't Africans in crisis try to immigrate to a better African country? Or why doesn't some of the "successful" African countries open their doors to these African refugees?

In Africa, slavery and genocide are still being practiced. That and many parts believe witch doctors instead of real medicine (like in Zimbabwe where they persecute and kill albinos). Also, in Africa, they practice female circumcision, have child brides, and in the slums, women at night get raped in the public toilet buildings.

And Haiti and in African continent, the majority of the human inhabited areas do not have sewage systems, so yes, literally they are sh*tholes.

I would truly love for Haiti and the African continent to NOT be sh*tholes, and for their people to be happy, successful and staying in their own countries.
Miu, let's say you lived in a dilapidated old house in a bad neighborhood. I would not blame you for wanting to move into a nicer neighborhood. And I wouldn't try to keep you out, and only allow people from other nice (white) neighborhoods to move in. Finally, even though it may be true, I would never insult you by calling your house a shthole.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Trump wasn't wrong about other countries, either:

I figure if people can walk around in pink hats, dress up like lady parts, and talk non stop about their lady parts, then they can handle hearing the word "****hole" throughout this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fSRT4Sc4k

Shouldn't be any questions after that.
There’s also no question that your ancestors came here from their own version of Nigeria too. That’s why you’re here.

As long as you recognize that, there’s no issue.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Great. So France should be made to fix the mess they made in Haiti... and leave the US out of it. And send our Haitian refugees over to France. They all speak French, so they should do just fine. Or France should pay America to deal with Haiti.
A tiny few Haitians speak French. It’s probably the only country on Earth where the official language isn’t spoken by most of the citizens.

Haitian Creole and French aren’t mutually intelligible.
Quote:
No. The problem is... that once here, refugees and illegal immigrants only focus on trying to stay in America, not go back to improve their broken country.

I think that the refugee system is very cruel. Think of the saying "a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity"... we should never take in foreigners in times of crisis. We should only send aid and keep them there. It's cruel to let them sample a taste of life in a First World Country, then send them back. And it's not fair to their children either. BTW I don't want refugees to ever stay in America forever.

I also don't like that immigrants send US money back to their home countries. The money they earn should stay in this country.
Why didn’t your ancestors go back and fix that dump they came from?

So how do you have any room to talk?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Miu, let's say you lived in a dilapidated old house in a bad neighborhood. I would not blame you for wanting to move into a nicer neighborhood. And I wouldn't try to keep you out, and only allow people from other nice (white) neighborhoods to move in. Finally, even though it may be true, I would never insult you by calling your house a shthole.
This isn't a very good comparison. You wouldn't call the house a shthole. You'd call the neighborhood a shthole.

The house I grew up in (within a ghetto shthole) would be worth 4x as much if you moved it to the burbs. It was built pre-shthole status of the neighborhood and the occupants (my family) took good care of it.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:22 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
That's the problem with this country and most of the outrage against Trump! More people are offended that he dares to be not politically correct than they are worried that we have a man who is not qualified or capable of executing the duties of the highest office in the land!
I haven't asked EVERYONE, but I doubt you are right about this. My acquaintances, friends and family are much more disturbed about the policy that has come out of the White House than political correctness. I do have to say that Trump has burned many bridges with his crudeness and lies, especially with other countries. It is not lack of political correctness, this is boorish behavior that prevents statesmanship. Trump has never heard of diplomacy. The thing is that we need to RESPECT and listen to others before we can negotiate, before we can work together as nations, and he seems to have no respect at all for anyone.

I see this as a problem. I understand that political correctness can go too far; if we are afraid to speak up because someone might be hurt, that is sometimes a problem. But the pendulum can swing too far in the other direction, too. If we can't keep a civil tongue, if we won't listen to others, if we can't refrain from name calling and demonizing others, then we will make no progress as a nation. Surely, there is a middle ground of honesty with respect and civility.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times
There are two kinds of Americans:

1. Those who call Haiti a s--thole.
2. Liars.

...but so what? Isn't it an American concept to allow people who were unlucky enough to be born in other countries to come here and have an opportunity? I thought the Statue of Liberty said, "Give me your tired and your poor, your yearning huddled masses..." not, "Give me your blond and your blue-eyed, your successful indifferent few..."

Also, it maybe thinly veiled racism. Azerbaijan, Georgia, Albania, Kosovo and Serbia are s--tholes too and, them some white folks...

Well, I know quite a few people from Nigeria, Somalia and Haiti and they agree; those countries are messed up. That's why they left.

So instead of getting at each other's throats we have to acknowledge that both sides of the aisle are right;

1. Those countries ARE badly run s--tholes. Truth must not become the new "hate speech"...
2. ...but we must preserve the American ideal that allows people to elevate themselves from such places.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong?
No, but I am also not seeing anyone trying to argue that Haiti is a nice place to live. You may be missing the point a bit.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:50 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
There are two kinds of Americans:

1. Those who call Haiti a s--thole.
2. Liars.
#3 - Those who keep their mouth shut about it

#4 - Those capable of communicating in a statesman-like manner with regard to immigration policy from Less-Developed Countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies