Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:55 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,318,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

Wanting a better life starts at home where these "takers" originate. Let them fix their own Country and quit taking the easy path.
Well, some of these countries are in the situation they're in because of US foreign policies that have adversely affected them.

Like death squads in El Salvador?
Supporting the Duvaliers in Haiti?

Your comment is made in bad faith given the context of these situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 12:59 PM

62,736 posts, read 28,944,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Bottom line - America grows/breeds enough poor and indigent people that we are in no need of importing more, regardless of national origin.

If Haiti wants to send us scientists, engineers, surgeons, etc...great, put them in the green card queue and welcome to America. We actually need more of those kind of people. What we do not need is any more welfare recipients. We are already have way too many of them as it stands.

Let Haiti solve Haiti's problems. They have sovereign borders, are members of the UN, etc. Why is Haiti somehow America's problem?

I couldn't agree more. There is nothing bigoted about not wanting more poor, unskilled and uneducated in our country. We already have enough of our own.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,094,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Part of the problem is that their government comes down hard on those looking to take back their country. How is one supposed to fight back when your too cold to sleep because you might die?
Or not having food enough to stand up? Blame OUR government for giving handouts tell them you want to put a stop to it. The fact that our government doesn't listen to us is part of the problem.
No. The problem is... that once here, refugees and illegal immigrants only focus on trying to stay in America, not go back to improve their broken country.

I think that the refugee system is very cruel. Think of the saying "a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity"... we should never take in foreigners in times of crisis. We should only send aid and keep them there. It's cruel to let them sample a taste of life in a First World Country, then send them back. And it's not fair to their children either. BTW I don't want refugees to ever stay in America forever.

I also don't like that immigrants send US money back to their home countries. The money they earn should stay in this country.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,632,436 times
Since Trump is the great fixer in chief, when is he gonna fix our own country for our own citizens (the south, puerto rico, etc.).

You know - one thing I have learned in life is that it is easy to shoot off your mouth - much harder to accomplish actual improvements. Trump left Atlantic City as a desert.....broke....and yet all the things he said made it sound like the streets were lined with Gold.

In other words, he is one of the biggest BSers ever to walk the earth.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,632,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

I also don't like that immigrants send US money back to their home countries. The money they earn should stay in this country.
So if I decided to send 1/4 of my income to my Italian relatives, you would have a problem with that?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:07 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,081,603 times
OP...that is right.

I don't care about being PC. I'm not running for office. I don't need to sugar coat lies.

They got you all bamboozled. How many of you are running for political office? If not why are you trying to be pseudo politicians?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:13 PM

33,865 posts, read 16,913,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong? Google pictures of Haiti and you will immediately see slums, the likes of which probably have no equal in the modern world. What is your first reaction when you think of Haiti or Port Au Prince? You might not think "****hole" but I'm sure you won't think of a well developed, modern country either. I'm QUITE sure you won't be planning a trip or a vacation there any time soon, even if it were offered to you all expenses paid!

So they were discussing immigration and Trump asked why they keep taking endless immigrants from the poorest countries with the least to contribute versus other countries. He said it rather inelegantly but he's not really wrong to ask why we keep endlessly taking in the poorest of the poor instead of the best and brightest.

Like it or not, many Americans feel the same way and it's not racism. Trump ran on this issue and it resonated with lots of people and not just Trump supporters or the "deplorables!
The country has limited resources and has the right enforce it's borders as well as choose who comes here and how much they contribute to society. Even Canada has a much stricter immigration system than we do, where it is based on points and merits and what they will contribute versus ours which is based mainly on family sponsorship.
BINGO. Canada has a merit based system, which we should emulate.

the RAISE Act would be a great start.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, some of these countries are in the situation they're in because of US foreign policies that have adversely affected them.

Haiti was an abomination centuries before, and running right up to Duvalier.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 586,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

That's just the tip of the iceberg. Pick a Latin American country and I'll show you foreign interference responsible for deferred progress and untold deaths.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

Let Haiti solve Haiti's problems. They have sovereign borders, are members of the UN, etc. Why is Haiti somehow America's problem?
I agree, and Haiti is not America's problem to fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies