Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times

Advertisements

If Kentucky wants to do this, that's great. Kentucky voted for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wonder who will pay for the burial of those who die for lack of health care?
No one. Stuff them in a gunny sack and throw them in a hole in the ground. They are beyond caring.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
I wonder who will pay for the burial of those who die for lack of health care?
Who did it prior to 2008?

Old 01-13-2018, 09:35 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
My stepson works full-time at Walmart (32 hours is full-time). He works nights for $10.50 hr. ($11 next month). He and another guy share an apt. , His roommate works at McDonalds. After rent $500 a month, utilities $300 a month and food, there is no way that they.can afford health insurance, but neither is eligible for Medicaid. Yes, Walmart offers health insurance, but most hourly people cannot afford it. They would love to be eligible for Medicaid and pay a premium. Very few single people are eligible.

This is why unions are still relevant in this age. If Walmart was unionized, the employees would have affordable health insurance.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, while they are labeled as "lazy bums" at the same time.

They are talking of making these as rules for government assisted housing too. So, if that happens (only talked about so far), then people will be thrown into the street because society views them as too worthless for even menial employment.
You do realize, explained in the very title of this thread, that there is an option to volunteer twenty hours a week in lieu of satisfying the work requirement, which is also satisfied by education (academic or job training)? The point is to encourage people to do something which will in the long term empower them to get themselves off the dole (by picking up skills at work [even flipping burgers at McDonalds helps socialize people to follow directions and show up on time], in training, or in a classroom) or do something directly useful for everyone else (volunteering).

I'm not the biggest fan of work requirements for medicaid in a post-ACA world because I think it may very well backfire by encouraging people to switch from less expensive medicaid to more expensive ACA polices in lieu of complying with the work/training/volunteering requirement and cost more than it saves, but we absolutely 110% should have this kind of policy for public housing.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:03 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You do realize, explained in the very title of this thread, that there is an option to volunteer twenty hours a week in lieu of satisfying the work requirement, which is also satisfied by education (academic or job training)? The point is to encourage people to do something which will in the long term empower them to get themselves off the dole (by picking up skills at work [even flipping burgers at McDonalds helps socialize people to follow directions and show up on time], in training, or in a classroom) or do something directly useful for everyone else (volunteering).

I'm not the biggest fan of work requirements for medicaid in a post-ACA world because I think it may very well backfire by encouraging people to switch from less expensive medicaid to more expensive ACA polices in lieu of complying with the work/training/volunteering requirement and cost more than it saves, but we absolutely 110% should have this kind of policy for public housing.
Yes, and I already explained how volunteer jobs are done here in KY. You have to pay for the background check with real money when you have no income in the first place with no guarantee of being chosen for the volunteer job. If you're not even offered a volunteer position then you're cut off as though you never tried at all.

But they wouldn't do the student thing with public housing anyway. When I was still in college while in public housing they were changing the rules to where college students weren't going to be eligible for subsidized housing anymore unless they met specific criteria. With subsidized housing they're wanting you to either have paid job or a volunteer job if you're a certain age and not on SSI/SSDI.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No one. Stuff them in a gunny sack and throw them in a hole in the ground. They are beyond caring.
Charming. Why wait for them to die? Let's just bury them now, since the poor have no right to live, anyway, right?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:31 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I cringe at calling people welfare cheats and over the course of my life, I've seen so many desperate people with debilitating physical and mental health conditions whose lifeline to life is Medicaid.

Nonetheless, I have also seen a few folks who take advantage of Medicaid.

One couple we know has four children on Medicaid because the husband/father decided to "take a break" from working. He got laid off a few years ago and said since he had worked all his life, he "deserved a break." He is perfectly capable of working, just has decided not to. They drive decent cars, live rent-free in a relative's house, Food Stamps, Medicaid, and money "borrowed" from a relative.

I would be fine with requiring this family to do something productive for 20 hours/week. Though I suspect if he was required to work for health insurance, he might actually get off his lazy butt and get a job with a paycheck and, hopefully, health insurance for his family.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

This is why unions are still relevant in this age. If Walmart was unionized, the employees would have affordable health insurance.
Nope, most prefer higher paychecks.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Nope, most prefer higher paychecks.
No, most prefer healthcare. So let's say you have a higher paycheck but your healthcare sucks. How much do you think you're going to pay if you are hospitalized or if you need cancer treatments. How much is that higher paycheck going to pay for this without insurance. But with a union you have the best of both worlds....great pay and great health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies