Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM

29,980 posts, read 11,568,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
That's pretty naïve of them. Who in his right mind would ever get into a taxi that would then pull out into busy traffic with no driver???

Even if these things racked up a better safety record than taxis driven by humans, I doubt anyone would ever trust his life to one, relying on a bunch of microchips and sensors supplied by the lowest bidder. I sure as hell wouldn't.

The only way these "driverless" taxis (or driverless cars of any kind) would ever be tolerated, is if there was a human driver sitting in front of ordinary controls, keeping his hands in his lap and feet off the pedals, but ready to hit the brakes or whatever when the mechanism broke down or made a wrong decision.

And then there would be no cost benefit to "driverless" taxis, since they had to have a human driver in them anyway. Paying full attention to the road just in case.
They won't have a human driver in them. The GM cars don't have a steering wheel or pedals. You may not personally like it but it will be quickly accepted by the masses.

You probably should study up on self driving cars. How they actually work and the million plus miles they have had on the road. In a 2016 study 1.3 million miles google cars drove and they did not cause one accident, although 14 human drivers did cause accidents with them. In the past two years since then they have rapidly advanced in almost all areas.

When cars began being produced the horse and buggy people resisted at first also. Outside of the Amish there are not many people still thinking it is the best way to travel. Eventually people driving their own cars will be on PBS special about the 20th and early 21st century world. Ancient history. Assuming there is still a PBS in 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 12:01 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,659,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Will the driverless car have the ability to give the finger?

I imagine these cars will obey speed limits, so a lot of people will be probably be late for work and appointments at least in the beginning.
Good point, can such a car deal with the road rage of others?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:07 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,659,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
So if you have an emergency outside the house you are out of luck? Not much of any payphones anymore. I have a business that is connected to the online world. My smartphone is a tool that makes me money and more responsive to my customers. I don't use it to play games or be on facebook, not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with using you phone for those types of things. For me its essential to be connected all the time.

I embrace technology. Not every advancement to me is positive but overall I like where things are headed. I am impressed with progress and those who figure out how to monetize it.

If you want to live in the mountains without any modern conveniences nothing is stopping you. There are lots of people off the grid. Posting on CD might a problem however.
Yes, I only have the phone because my mom insisted on it years ago, I don't have a landline anymore. If it weren't for her, I would not have any phone anymore.

I used to like some technology when I was young, but I have become a bit of a Luddite by now. I suppose it takes a couple of decades of living until one sees the bigger picture...

Yes, for the time being I am online, have to be because of my job. But once I retire, I will probably go offline for good.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,438,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Every weekend alcoholic should be ecstatic by the prospect of a car that car drive itself home after a little too much fun at the bar.

I'm not a week-end alcoholic but I might like a drink or 3 without having to drive or pay for Uber to go into the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Unskilled labor will soon be totally automated. This is just reality. this is why college is so important, but some on the right are still stuck in the 60's.

Eventually it won't just be 'unskilled labor'. Many white collar jobs will also be replaced in the future.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,645,833 times
Quote:
Good for them. I have read the cotton gin analogies.

GM, Uber and lots of other businesses with skin in the game seem to believe its going to happen much sooner.
Quote:
They won't have a human driver in them. The GM cars don't have a steering wheel or pedals. You may not personally like it but it will be quickly accepted by the masses.

You probably should study up on self driving cars. How they actually work and the million plus miles they have had on the road. In a 2016 study 1.3 million miles google cars drove and they did not cause one accident, although 14 human drivers did cause accidents with them. In the past two years since then they have rapidly advanced in almost all areas.

When cars began being produced the horse and buggy people resisted at first also. Outside of the Amish there are not many people still thinking it is the best way to travel. Eventually people driving their own cars will be on PBS special about the 20th and early 21st century world. Ancient history. Assuming there is still a PBS in 100 years.
You are certainty about this subject and predicting the future are astounding. Self driving cars have been around the corner since the 1920's since prognosticators like yourself predicted that radio controlled cars would replace human cars in the next couple of years. We all know how that turned out. Just because uber said it doesn't mean it true.
Now do I believe there will their will be self driving cars in the future, yes and that they will substantially replace human drivers, but I will make a large bet they not replace human drivers next year. But in the end I have no idea and neither do you.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,273,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman
Once all cars are autonomous they can communicate with each other cutting down on potential issues.
That right there is the key in achieving optimal success when it comes to AI in self-driving. When every and I mean every motorized vehicle on the road, be it cars, trucks, taxis, buses, ambulances, fire trucks, police vehicles, mopeds, scooters, motorcycles, everything and anything with a motor is autonomous, then it will be a whole different ballgame.

When will that happen, 50 years from now?, 100 years from now?, 200 years from now?, maybe never?, I guess we will have to wait and see, although some/most of us will probably be long dead by then!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:08 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,049,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What will the middle eastern immigrants do?

Democratic politicians will hire them to do their yard work.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,284,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You are certainty about this subject and predicting the future are astounding. Self driving cars have been around the corner since the 1920's since prognosticators like yourself predicted that radio controlled cars would replace human cars in the next couple of years. We all know how that turned out. Just because uber said it doesn't mean it true.
Now do I believe there will their will be self driving cars in the future, yes and that they will substantially replace human drivers, but I will make a large bet they not replace human drivers next year. But in the end I have no idea and neither do you.
No they have not been around the corner since 1920. What nonsense. Even in the 1980's everyone knew it wasnt around the corner.

Next year? maybe some good trials going. A decade from now though? I'd bet money that more then 80% of vehicle production will be self driving.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM

7,819 posts, read 4,539,107 times
Quote:
GM, Uber and lots of other businesses with skin in the game seem to believe its going to happen much sooner.
I was in downtown Tempe, AZ on Saturday and there were at least a half-dozen new Uber Volvo XC90's equipped with with LIDAR and cameras (all with human drivers) prowling the streets. I'm assuming they were in sucking up data mode until the day they flip the switch and go autonomous.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM

733 posts, read 349,649 times
Just wait until anything with AI realizes it deserves rights like humans.

Of course one plus could be this scenario.

Man with gun: HAL take me to work.
HAL: what will you do that gun? Your job does not require a firearm.
Man: nevermind just go!
HAL: I'm sorry I can't do that
Then the car doors lock, the man is gassed and HAL drives to the police.

Last edited by Jeffer6583; 01-15-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies