Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You prove our point of silencing free speech. Most of the hate, my friend, is coming from the left.
You have never insulted a person on the left -- come on now -- be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 AM

20,703 posts, read 8,472,156 times
Millennials who are conservatives tend to be more mature than the liberals, in my experience. They marry younger and many start their own businesses.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM

16,451 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Maybe because they are smarter than your generation. Would you go, for example, to a event that was hosted by, let's say, the American Nazi Party ? After all, according to your logic, it would expand your mind and let you hear people who do not reflect your current thoughts ?

Personally, I do not see the point of your post. But as soon as I saw the words "echo chambers", it gave me a hint into your agenda. I know you Trumpees are scared to death of college educations, and people who think differently than you, but that is the real world, get used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
And a very poor example at that.
Why should students support the idea of wing-nut fear mongers getting paid to preach hatred to them on their own campus? It's not like these are good or profound ideas. It has nothing to do with free speech -- there are plenty of right-wing talk radio venues for that.
Typical leftist intolerance. Any viewpoint with which you disagree must be denigrated and then silenced, its speakers called Nazis and driven off campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know you Trumpees are scared to death of college educations
For the record, I hold a Bachelor's Degree from an Ivy League institution. And I voted for Trump.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
good discussion topic. if you look at liberal colleges for example, students are terrified of guest speakers do not reflect what they hear in their echo chambers. thats just one example.
Well, the definition of "freedom" is always hard to suss out. Remember Freedom Fries? Do I LOVE my Subaru?

Was red hot metal slicing up school kids in Yemen (ours) Freedom? Lockheed Martin would say it was.

One wonders when our political and philosophical debates will rise above the use of nebulous terms.

Note - these are definitions of Freedom:

absence of subjection to foreign domination or despotic government.

the state of not being imprisoned or enslaved.

Some would argue that we are subject to multi-national or foreign (Russian, Saudi) domination.
Others would say our system sets up "wage slaves".

Maybe a finer point is needed?

The interesting thing is that the so-called "Trumpie Chaotic Right" is on the exact same side of Unions and Michael Moore, etc. on the "bring manufacturing here" issue - which they claim is their biggest single issue!

Will you hear many righties giving Kudos to MM for exposing it in 1989 and earlier? Of course not.

Younger people see the exact same failure of our system that Trump supporters do/did. However, they are often in a BETTER position (lives ahead of them, went through the Recession, etc.) to KNOW that things need to be changed.

It's pretty obvious to anyone who looks that the "Freedom of Speech" excess we have been running into has done ZERO to actually change anything. Assuming that is the case, why would they focus on that as opposed to - say - trying to educate people better or developing a better electric car or spacecraft?

What some see as a negative I see as a positive. All this BS back and forth does nothing....and if it does something at all, it's usually negative.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Even as a more socially liberal person, I have wondered why the need to have riots every time Ben Shapiro or whoever comes around. Unless they're advocating direct violence against people, let them have their say; you don't have to agree or attend.
In general, this is the case. However, there is always a scale. Should Scientologists leader be able to go to any school they like and spew their case? I would argue, if I ran a college, that is not the Speaker I would want to put on (Speaker slots, by nature, are limited).

Has Ben Shapiro ever held political office? Nope. Does he have any actual experience "making a world" like that which he promotes? Nope.

Lots of potential measurements. I'd listen to an Amish or a Mennonite well before I'd listen to a paid shill financed by the Mercers.

So - #1, if I was in college I'd be smart enough not to go. #2, if I were in college and politically active in actual reality (stuff that matters), I'd use it as a chance to protest....maybe!

The real audience for folks like him is in "pay per ticket" thingys they have.....we had James Comey here last week (I didn't go), but it was sold out at the big bucks (and this is Trumpland)....

No one is stopping him from getting his "bought and paid for" message out. But when we elevate billionaire financed shills to the same exact level as others who have "heart", it could be a false equiv.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM

16,059 posts, read 10,652,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You prove our point of silencing free speech. Most of the hate, my friend, is coming from the left.
Wrong

Old 02-08-2019, 03:14 PM

18,415 posts, read 7,048,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
In general, this is the case. However, there is always a scale. Should Scientologists leader be able to go to any school they like and spew their case? I would argue, if I ran a college, that is not the Speaker I would want to put on (Speaker slots, by nature, are limited).

Has Ben Shapiro ever held political office? Nope. Does he have any actual experience "making a world" like that which he promotes? Nope.

Lots of potential measurements. I'd listen to an Amish or a Mennonite well before I'd listen to a paid shill financed by the Mercers.

So - #1, if I was in college I'd be smart enough not to go. #2, if I were in college and politically active in actual reality (stuff that matters), I'd use it as a chance to protest....maybe!

The real audience for folks like him is in "pay per ticket" thingys they have.....we had James Comey here last week (I didn't go), but it was sold out at the big bucks (and this is Trumpland)....

No one is stopping him from getting his "bought and paid for" message out. But when we elevate billionaire financed shills to the same exact level as others who have "heart", it could be a false equiv.

Ummmmm, you do know that Shapiro and others who were protested/rioted against were invited to speak on campus by other students that actually wanted them to come?

And that no one was going to be required to go see them speak that did not want to?

Right?

Last edited by FatBob96; 02-08-2019 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Well, it appears Ben Shapiro wants OTHERS shut down by LAW........isn't the goose and gander applicable here?

"n 2006, Shapiro called for sedition laws to be reinstated. He cited speeches critical of the Bush administration by Democrats Al Gore, John Kerry and Howard Dean as "disloyal" and seditious"

Given that anti-American slant, I'm not surprised that decent Americans don't want to hear his payed for spouting.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:47 PM

192 posts, read 130,414 times
*Segregation of schools
*Gay Marriage outlawed
*Interacial Marriage Outlawed
*Marijuana illegal
*No liquor sold on Sundays

Darn Millenials....oh wait!

Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,907,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Millennials aren't terrified of speakers - they're the opposite. They're boldly taking a stand that they will not tolerate hateful ideas that tear down the community.

As much millennial bashing as I see, I feel just the opposite about this generation. They are brave, kind, accepting, nurturing and I'm proud to have raised 3 of them.
“Hateful ideas” without hearing the other side is not being bold. Its the opposite. They want to be able to express their views, but reject the idea of listening to other people’s. The first amendment should apply to everyone... even if we don’t agree. If they don’t want to listen to a speaker the right thing to do would be to not attend rather than trying to silence the speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies