Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 AM

79,906 posts, read 43,928,273 times

Advertisements

I fully support the continued research into alternative energy sources. Things like this are easy to see through. Batteries have to be recharged. We are nowhere close to solar conversion of this kind yet. We are doing better all the time and there is nothing wrong with someone pushing us away from old technologies but to recharge batteries takes N.G. electric generation.

N.G. combined with batteries is cleaner than many of the old ways and in that, it is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM

30,567 posts, read 21,744,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This. Batteries have very toxic chemicals that can contaminate the land and water.
They actually dont even bring that up, as if just saying the word "battery" replacing "Natural gas" fixes everything Natural gas burns very clean compared to oil and gasoline, so its a bit odd that they would attack Natural gas.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 AM

39,806 posts, read 26,327,258 times
Cut the pipelines, stop the sale of natural gas and power from other states to CA. Let them survive their own foolishness without taking down the rest of the grid.

The whole problem is coming about due to the instability of renewable power. When solar production drops, other, standby sources have to be brought online to meet the demand. However, these backups are not owned or operated by the heavily subsidised alternative energy industry. Owners of conventional plants are on the hook.

The problem...those magic batteries they are counting on...don't exist.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,347,608 times
Interesting. I can see why this may work in California, they have the sunlight and resources to possibly make this change.

Meanwhile I don’t see this happening in my area. Natural gas is used to heat homes and seeing as its currently 13 below 0, we need that heat. Electric/baseboard heat is simply not as reliable as natural gas. However last time I checked my state as a whole was one of the top in the nation for utilizing wind power. I know my own power company gets about 30% if it’s power from wind and is continuously expanding.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 AM

37,813 posts, read 21,902,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
I found this quite interesting--California is leading the charge to kick fossil fuel power generation:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gas-in-america

"California, the state that helped birth the global boom in battery-toting electric vehicles, is trying to spark a similar transformation for utilities. And that spells trouble for power plants all across the U.S. that run on natural gas.
The California Public Utilities Commission approved an order Thursday that will require PG&E Corp., the state’s biggest utility, to change the way it supplies power when demand peaks. Instead of relying on electricity from three gas-fired plants run by Calpine Corp., PG&E will have to use batteries or other non-fossil fuel resources to keep the lights on in the most-populated U.S. state."
What type of batteries? They never got into that in the article.

We only have a finite amount of exotic minerals on the planet, and materials like lithium are not practical to recyclable.

Let's say we were able to use lithium battery storage for the electric grid, it would significantly drive up costs for electricity. The USA has the wealth and power to do anything we set our minds to, but should our throw-away culture be plundering the planets resources yet again?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM

27,537 posts, read 15,971,009 times
Quote:
You are an example why the Left is so ignorant. Trump is not touting the benefits of coal or dismissing other alternatives. He is just saying that there is still a need for traditional energies like coal, oil, etc. and that until we have a more reliable energy source, they will still be needed.

He is practical and is not blinded by Leftwing ideology and he is right.
Besides that, the topic wasn’t about coal. They just can’t help going off on a tangent about thier obsession Trump.

14,366 posts, read 9,745,710 times
Quote:
I found this quite interesting--California is leading the charge to kick fossil fuel power generation:

"California, the state that helped birth the global boom in battery-toting electric vehicles, is trying to spark a similar transformation for utilities. And that spells trouble for power plants all across the U.S. that run on natural gas.
The California Public Utilities Commission approved an order Thursday that will require PG&E Corp., the state’s biggest utility, to change the way it supplies power when demand peaks. Instead of relying on electricity from three gas-fired plants run by Calpine Corp., PG&E will have to use batteries or other non-fossil fuel resources to keep the lights on in the most-populated U.S. state."

In other words, CA will once again make itself even more expensive to live here. For a state that supposedly cares so much about the poor, they sure seem to hammer them and middle class relentlessly.

Thank you Moonbeam! So glad he will be out next year... though the lineup of progressive political wackamoles is deep in this state, so little change will happen.

34,620 posts, read 21,467,835 times
Quote:

How do they plan to charge these batteries?

Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,430,927 times
Quote:
You are an example why the Left is so ignorant. Trump is not touting the benefits of coal or dismissing other alternatives. He is just saying that there is still a need for traditional energies like coal, oil, etc. and that until we have a more reliable energy source, they will still be needed.

He is practical and is not blinded by Leftwing ideology and he is right.
No, your boy is ignorant, he not only called climate change a “Chinese hoax” but he promised he would bring back jobs in the coal industry. Like most things he says, neither are true. I know what the future holds, and my portfolio is lined up with it. If you think that’s ignorant, that’s fine by me.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:23 AM

763 posts, read 375,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How do they plan to charge these batteries?
How many batteries will there be? Seems like you would need a massive amount of batteries to power the power grid at peak demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies