Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
As a Trump voter, I must say that I agree with this part of the article

she probably doesn't really understand the full implications of what she's done

She is 11 years old, and I think media should let this go. Maybe counseling is the solution. I think there is something else going on in this person's life. Maybe she has low self esteem, using fantasy instead of truth to feel important. (sometimes, older kids do such a thing)

Finding out the real reasons why she had to make up story like this will help her.
True, but perhaps the media should consider letting other stuff go as well like the initial reporting that drew national and international attention and public condemnation.

And this is what is really sad: Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
We all forget that Trump supporters want to lock everyone up..........everyone except Donald Trump himself, that is.

Just Hillary.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
True, but perhaps the media should consider letting other stuff go as well like the initial reporting that drew national and international attention and public condemnation.

And this is what is really sad: Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

To identify the truth that these are fakes emboldens "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."? That's the Islamist and their Apologists attitude for you. Hide the truth

Old 01-15-2018, 01:29 PM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Too bad this didn't happen at an American University. The president would STILL be apologizing citing that it COULD have been a real incident.

Girl is 11, can't treat her too harshly but if an adult put them up to it that's different.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:

I saw that, too, but I think what the writer means is that such hoaxes do not do anything except foster discrimination. They do not help improve relationships.

She was sad that the girl perpetrated the hoax, not that she would have been happier if the event had not been a hoax.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I saw that, too, but I think what the writer means is that such hoaxes do not do anything except foster discrimination. They do not help improve relationships.

She was sad that the girl perpetrated the hoax, not that she would have been happier if the event had not been a hoax.
Perhaps that is what she should have said then.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM

31,016 posts, read 22,056,089 times
Quote:
Sounds like she was sad that an opportunity was lost to find her boogey man.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I'm not as forgiving as others. Kids who do this kind of stuff are dangerous. They make up lies about their parents, their teachers, peers, etc.

I'm not for criminal charges. But I really don't share Elgawaby's attitude that we all need to support her. I don't want her outed, but no, this kind of purposeful vilification of others for attention is what got us into the Salem witch trial horror. And if I were her mom, I'd have her read about that case and write an essay about the harm that can come from making up ugly lies.

And then a second one about the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
It is what I understood her to be saying.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Predictably:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...21098341445634
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies