Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Dr. King admitted he was not perfect, and that he was human and thus subject to human foibles. Yes, he was not completely loyal to Coretta, but any straying he did was consensual and with consenting adults. He did not prey on underage teens nor did he commit rape. He managed to do a lot of good for not only his people but also his nation and the entire planet. His message was for all people.

Moore used his position as a public servant to sexually prey on an underage girl in his courtroom, violating not only the laws of his state (even if they were rarely enforced at the time) but also the Model Rules of Professional Conduct, and should have at the very least been disbarred. and was twice removed from the bench for failing to uphold his sworn duty to follow the law. Dr. King more than fulfilled his duties. Moore made a complete mockery of his commitment to fulfill his duties.
MLK is a national hero but he was clearly a sexist by our standards, relegating women who offered strategic advice in his SCLC and giving poor advice to women...telling women if their husband beats them they need to look at their personality as the cause of the beatings, that If their husband cheats they need to copy the other woman to turn on their man, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Interesting. Do you agree with the entirety of the article ?

Im asking this because the article makes a specific complaint about white students and legacy admissions. Something I and others have pointed out before(that some have labeled white privilege), that many of the conservatives here have ignored.
I oppose admissions making an issue out of race or parents. I understand that universities want big donations for accepting legacy kids who can't otherwise cut it, but that doesn't make it right.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:27 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
MLK is a national hero but he was clearly a sexist by our standards
100 percent of everyone alive at that time would have been "a sexist by our standards".

Old 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
I agree it should all be public.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:46 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Dr. King admitted he was not perfect, and that he was human and thus subject to human foibles. Yes, he was not completely loyal to Coretta, but any straying he did was consensual and with consenting adults. He did not prey on underage teens nor did he commit rape. He managed to do a lot of good for not only his people but also his nation and the entire planet. His message was for all people.

Moore used his position as a public servant to sexually prey on an underage girl in his courtroom, violating not only the laws of his state (even if they were rarely enforced at the time) but also the Model Rules of Professional Conduct, and should have at the very least been disbarred. and was twice removed from the bench for failing to uphold his sworn duty to follow the law. Dr. King more than fulfilled his duties. Moore made a complete mockery of his commitment to fulfill his duties.

Moore is a class A a-hole .

But J Edgar Hoover supposedly had tapes of MLK doing underage girls. Im not sure all of his dalliances were with consenting adults of legal age.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
So before Ray Moore can be criticized in any way we have to go back in history and revisit the sexual improprieties of every public figure in American history including Dr. King. Your deflection doesn't work and I find it interesting that that out of all the highly publicized sex scandals of the past you have to target a black man.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
So before Ray Moore can be criticized in any way we have to go back in history and revisit the sexual improprieties of every public figure in American history including Dr. King. Your deflection doesn't work and I find it interesting that that out of all the highly publicized sex scandals of the past you have to target a black man.

I don't think the OP is defending Moore in any way , or criticizing the criticism of Moore. He has a legitimate point, at any rate.

In an era in which we are horrified and pillory people for the slightest hint of sexual coercion and harassment, and pedophilia , MLK gets a pass from the left. In a period in which we knock down statues of Robert E Lee for simply fighting for the wrong side, we continue to celebrate a holiday for a guy who apparently did everything we abhor from politicians today, including sex with underage girls. We even are at the point in which some question remembering and honoring George Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln, but MLK continues to get a pass on his behavior . And the legit question is , why?

They used to call Reagan the Teflon President. It seems MLK is the Teflon Icon. I will say I admire MLK's efforts and his successes on behalf of minorities, but one has to wonder why all of his baggage gets swept under the carpet in a time in which we are soul searching all the way back to George Washington.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Moore is a class A a-hole .

But J Edgar Hoover supposedly had tapes of MLK doing underage girls. Im not sure all of his dalliances were with consenting adults of legal age.
Hoover had a fanatical hatred of King, and probably ordered his death. If you look at King's FBI file it is hard not to come to the conclusion that King's death was a hit and that Hoover either ordered it or was complicit in it. Hoover would have spread any outrageous stories about King in order to discredit King. What you refer to is the 1960s equivalent of the Steele Memorandum.

Dr. King was a victim of the Deep State.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero99 View Post
So are the religious hypocrites only bad if they are white religious right people whose political views dont match our own?

If leftist reverends are adulterers and have children out of wedlock like Jesse Jackson and King , they arent hypocrites because because they are Black Reverends with leftist views?

good post and this is why social media and 24/7 can be so damaging. We rarely talked about or heard much about politicians and others held in high esteem until about 20 or so years ago. I will add, at this stage there really isn't much reason to even discuss the whys and hows? He has been gone for way too long to bring this up. Again, I certainly see what you are saying and agree with you. I wonder if most of us have any idea how many people in power have hidden lives in their closet? I think we all know there are many.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
So MLK being married and having consensual affairs makes it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
because they were consensual perhaps? Because he wasnt leading the country? etc etc.

You're trying to create a false comparison

Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Oh for God's sake, why not as you put it, target him. We celebrated his BD yesterday so is life is fresh in most of our minds. Remember this is being brought up because of the hypocrisy of the left. I do agree as I posted a minute ago, what was really has little to do with what is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies