Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've been saying for 15 years, that there are 2 different types of conservatism. There is the mainstream media conservatism full of symbolism, traditionalism, patriotism, strongly authoritarian, and very much in favor of big state, big government politics. But then there is another, less talked about conservatism. A conservationism steeped in nuanced philosophy, objectivism, classical liberalism, pro individualism, fiscally responsible, etc. The latter is losing, and has been for a long time.

One would argue that there hasn't been a real conservative in office since the late 40s. Trump is certainly not one. Nixon most definitely wasn't one. Regan, while strong on rhetoric certainly wasn't one. And now we have Trump, the latest conservative leader, whose entire platform is based around cult of personality, narcissism, and shock jockeying that would school Howard Stern. Very little Trump has done is compatible with conservatism. And to me, I find that Trump exist to discredit conservatism as a legit philosophy.

Trump has effectively gotten conservatives to buy into what I call the "calibration fallacy". The idea that certainly thing like big government are not immoral. But more of the idea that big govenment isn't being used the right way. Trump, despite his optics in "elminating regulations" (none of which has impact). His entire platform was about growing government. Growing government, and increasing spending. A government that is already rather large. He wants to grow it more. His space doesn't care, because it's not about the government being too big. It's about the government serving the right people. It's the same philosophy held by the left for over century.

A true conservatie sees a problem with big government. Period. It doesn't matter it serves. Because the more government there is, the less respect there is for individual rights. Hence the act of growing the government is immoral. Because government is only effective when it's forceful and coercive. But this matters little to the modern day conservative moment. Symbolism defines conservatism. Being patriotic, worshiping the flag, worshiping the state, complete reverence for military no matter the implications of their military action, and speaking about religious and cultural superiority at every turn. Individual rights and civil liberties comes second to conformity and dogma. Free markets and economics comes second to "protecting your own".

That is why I feel for conservatism to ever regain it's footing. It needs an intellectual revolution. There needs to be a move to get back to free markets. A move to restore a focus on individualism. Because conservatism is not state worship, or boasting that your culture is superior despite you not practing said superior culture.
This breed has been forced out. First evangelical right wingers, then tea parties, now nationalist Trumpettes.

If William F Buckley were still alive they would brand him 'a liberal'.

Quite literally some of my old school Conservatives now feel forced to view the Democratic Party as 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM

183 posts, read 103,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Intellectual life is in decline everywhere because the internet has lowered the barrier to entry for publication and public debate. This means that less informed opinions are being expressed, but it also means that ordinary people can "see how the sausage is made" and realize that intellectuals are not necessarily towering intellects. In short, intellectual life has been democratized by the internet. The sages on the stages can't get away with their pretensions anymore.
very good post. sages on the stages lol

I used to think guys like george will were brilliant when I was a teenager and now I cant understand how he gets paid to be on tv. These guys are wrong so many times, even if someone were are a liberal why would you want to be lied to and misinformed so many times by these idiots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ46I3kMOr0

Old 01-15-2018, 06:26 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I would say there are 3 "flavors" of conservatism in the US.

1. Christian conservatives, who tend to favor government involvement in moral issues.
2. Libertarian conservatives, who tend to favor as little government involvement in any issue as possible.
3. Nationalist conservatives, who tend to favor government involvement in economic issues.

As with most things there is some overlap, and any individual conservative you encounter is going to mix and match some views from more than one of the 3 "flavors," but I think broadly speaking, most conservatives you encounter will tend to emphasize one of the three.
I think those 3 types are just the more vocal or visible groups. There are a fair number of intellectual conservatives. Huntsman, Flake even would consider Kusunich and Ryan in that light. Personally most of the business people I know and bankers are intellectual Conservatives.

Problem is the party is so full of attack dogs that they literally turn them loose on ANY disention from the more vocal and visceral parts of the party.

Ever have a discussion with a local Trump supporter on any issue like world economic matters? Lights on- no ones home. Now bring up welfare babies- whoo boy that'll make them foam.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:33 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
My take is that the intellectuals love to sit around and ponder, discuss and lecture but Trump is more of a doer...you can theorize all you want but nothing gets done unless you roll up your sleeves and start working.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
While I respect your opinion and respect intellectual conservatives, I think your approach would lead to electoral disaster for any party that followed this course. There's a reason nationalist tough guy populism won the election, and is because it is the OPPOSITE of nuance. If you think "nuance" is going to win elections with a populace that is best characterized by cultural trends like: bro country, hip hop, MMA, and the Kardashians. ....you're nuts. This is why the GOP has gone with guns/god/nationalism the last 40 years or so as it's rhetorical face, when the reality was that it was always Wall St., oil companies, and military contractors that were the true constituency.
...for both parties!

Nobody wants to face the reality that political theater is the tool of both parties. They (Wall St., oil companies, and military contractors) care not who is in power because they will profit from either side. DC has become filled with elites who no longer care about representing us. THAT is why Trump won and even I, who did not vote for him, can see that truth quite clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
My take is that the intellectuals love to sit around and ponder, discuss and lecture but Trump is more of a doer...you can theorize all you want but nothing gets done unless you roll up your sleeves and start working.
What they refuse to admit and what MSM is doing its best to rewrite is the success of the first year Trump has actually had. The country pulled itself out of the economic ditch in spite of GWB and Obama. Now, it's Trump who is getting as much done as he can as fast as he can, in spite of Congress and media.

The last thing they can allow is the country to be a success. The definition of insidious.

Isn't that a shame?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
While I agree with you to a large extent, and admit that Trump is not only no intellectual conservative but is somewhat hostile to them, I'm willing to guess that a lot of Trump's appointees to the federal bench do qualify as intellectual conservatives. We know for a fact that at least some are, and given the role of the Federalist Society in picking judges in the Trump administration, it's safe to say that the overall percentage is high.

Unfortunately the role of intellectuals across the political spectrum is in decline, a side effect of the decline of American education.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Unfortunately the role of intellectuals across the political spectrum is in decline, a side effect of the decline of American education.
Why do you need a middleman to think for you?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Why do you need a middleman to think for you?
I'm not an expert on everything and so it's necessary to study the issues that I don't know as much about, and also study those I do so as to get more insight.

I think there is a direct link between anti-intellectualism and the refusal to apologize which is a negative characteristic of Trump's personality, which some Trump supporters feel should be emulated.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm not an expert on everything and so it's necessary to study the issues that I don't know as much about, and also study those I do so as to get more insight.

I think there is a direct link between anti-intellectualism and the refusal to apologize which is a negative characteristic of Trump's personality, which some Trump supporters feel should be emulated.
Experts can also be blowing smoke. Ultimately it's up to you to figure things out for yourself, or figure out who to trust. Deference to experts can be a learned helplessness, or an appeal to authority.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I've been saying for 15 years, that there are 2 different types of conservatism. There is the mainstream media conservatism full of symbolism, traditionalism, patriotism, strongly authoritarian, and very much in favor of big state, big government politics. But then there is another, less talked about conservatism. A conservationism steeped in nuanced philosophy, objectivism, classical liberalism, pro individualism, fiscally responsible, etc. The latter is losing, and has been for a long time.
The intelligent conservatives mostly died off during the Reagan administration.

Quote:
Very little Trump has done is compatible with conservatism.
Trump has redefined conservativism. It is now a reactionary movement that exists to oppose liberalism.

Quote:
it's not about the government being too big. It's about the government serving the right people. It's the same philosophy held by the left for over century.
Agreed. Trump wants a big government that takes money from economically productive cities on the coasts, and redistributes it to old, white rural people in middle America, as well as the sort of global capitalist elites Trump wishes he was part of.

Quote:
That is why I feel for conservatism to ever regain it's footing. It needs an intellectual revolution. There needs to be a move to get back to free markets. A move to restore a focus on individualism. Because conservatism is not state worship, or boasting that your culture is superior despite you not practing said superior culture.
Trump is a nationalist, and that's incompatible with libertarianism or any type of small government ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies