Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Sounds like capitalism to me. Supply and demand issues. As well as location, location, location.

Homelessness is also a problem because of many factors. Most not listed in this thread.

I am guessing that living in Cal. is nicer then in the other states listed.
It is indeed location, supply and demand.

I would bet good money that a survey of the homeless and the poor would reveal quite a few who moved to California from other places.

Those who have been there all along, would likely have purchased their homes when costs were more affordable.

Should California to be blamed because prices have gone up and the newcomers can't afford to live there?

Those who are unhappy with the situation in coastal California, could always move to the interior where costs are lower. Or move back to where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,176,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I don't know precisely why you're posting videos of downtown Ocean Springs, MS on a political forum, but that video isn't exactly making me want to move there.

But, I'm glad I know what you're into now, lovescrowds.
It looks like a colorized video from 1952. Notice the lack of paved streets. I think that is the perfect time in history for some here and Mississippi is stuck there.

As for comparing CA and MS, huh??? There is no comparison. It is very expensive in a desirable state and not so expensive in a state that thinks it is 1952 still and is not desirable. Sorry. Plus, you all realize your daddy Trump would call it a s-hole, yes?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,070,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Guess which state has the highest poverty rate in the country? Not Mississippi, New Mexico, or West Virginia, but California, where nearly one out of five residents is poor. That’s according to the Census Bureau’s Supplemental Poverty Measure, which factors in the cost of housing, food, utilities and clothing, and which includes non cash government assistance as a form of income.

Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America? - LA Times

TRUE: California has the nation

https://pjmedia.com/trending/whats-matter-california/

And I think this year or next they will become a taker state in Fed Fund.
Currently they get back $.99 for every $1.00 they send to DC.

Sure is a shame what happened to California.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,144,050 times
California Is Doing Fine, Thank You Very Much

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...you-very-much/

Trump can't have his soaring stock market and his 3% GDP growth without California. That's just a simple fact.

California leads the nation in economic output.
California is also leads the nation in manufacturing.
The U.S. cannot succeed without California's contributions from many sectors. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is indeed location, supply and demand.

I would bet good money that a survey of the homeless and the poor would reveal quite a few who moved to California from other places.

Those who have been there all along, would likely have purchased their homes when costs were more affordable.

Should California to be blamed because prices have gone up and the newcomers can't afford to live there?

Those who are unhappy with the situation in coastal California, could always move to the interior where costs are lower. Or move back to where they came from.
California has very generous welfare benefits and includes illegals (using state funds).
And it's been a defacto sanctuary state for years.

There is no rent control like NYC has so rents have skyrocketed. The average rent in LA is over $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom.
And raising min wage to $15/hr still won't make that affordable.

And I have very little sympathy for "newcomers" that move there without doing any research into COL and affordability. You'd have to be a hermit to not know that CA is a very expensive place to live.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,774,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Yet another thread running down California.

Did you bother to read any of the linked articles? Any mention of how the cost-of-living figured into this?

Next we will be treated to posts about that RW paradise, North Dakota.

Did YOU read any of those articles? Have you been following the downward trend in this state? Answer: No.

California has spent almost a trillion dollars in no-strings-attached welfare benefits over the last 25 years--as one reporter said, even the Clinton era welfare-work reforms passed CA by.

In addition, CA's gargantuan and ever-growing bureaucracy feeds on itself, ensuring more grants, more money, more power--and more time to devote to nonsense like seceding from the rest of the country, and banning the combustion engine. All while burdening a lessening pool of taxpayers, without a care.

California's sad state has gotten only worse with the encouraging of illegal immigration--yes, that's what no-questions-asked handouts tend to do.

CA has its own progressive past, present, and future to blame for its current problems--which, ironically, include one of the biggest examples of the economic disparity and income inequality they carp about.

This is the cost of illegal immigration.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
California is great for the subsidized poor and the top 10% or so. The vast middle ground in between is basically squeezed out.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
California Is Doing Fine, Thank You Very Much

California Is Doing Fine, Thank You Very Much – Mother Jones

Trump can't have his soaring stock market and his 3% GDP growth without California. That's just a simple fact.

California leads the nation in economic output.
California is also leads the nation in manufacturing.
The U.S. cannot succeed without California's contributions from many sectors. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Who's kicking CA out of the union ? NO ONE.

All the poster is saying is that CA is now leading the nation in poverty.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Speaking as one with a Mississippi address:

Some of the comments about Mississippi are pretty funny. Fortunately, I have extensive experience in both places.
In this case I have to stick up for California. I know there are lots of poor people in California, but I also know that a great many of them - if they try - will find their way out. And that's not true for parts of Mississippi.

Poor people in some parts of Mississippi are doomed to be poor forever unless they leave. And they can't leave because they are too poor. In California - most places in California - there is opportunity. When I was in my 20's and struggling in California I was able to find a commission sales job and I turned it into something. I could not duplicate my career if I started in Mississippi.

City poverty is one thing; rural poverty is another altogether.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Speaking as one with a Mississippi address:

Some of the comments about Mississippi are pretty funny. Fortunately, I have extensive experience in both places.
In this case I have to stick up for California. I know there are lots of poor people in California, but I also know that a great many of them - if they try - will find their way out. And that's not true for parts of Mississippi.

Poor people in some parts of Mississippi are doomed to be poor forever unless they leave. And they can't leave because they are too poor. In California - most places in California - there is opportunity. When I was in my 20's and struggling in California I was able to find a commission sales job and I turned it into something. I could not duplicate my career if I started in Mississippi.

City poverty is one thing; rural poverty is another altogether.
Absolutely true. If you're in a city, you are at least physically close to the jobs and resources that could improve your circumstances. I live in Appalachia. If you are poor here without good sense, you probably can't leave. Many people simply won't leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies