Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:56 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I might remind you about a Senate blocking a Supreme Court nominee, but instead I think I would prefer to point out that some of Trump's nominees need to be blocked. When the American Bar Association, which is non-partisan, deems nominees to be unqualified, and the President goes so far as to re-nominate such candidates, then it's up to the Senate to use its powers. The Senate reviews candidates just for this reason.
I watched an interview of one of the Trump's nominees. The guy had never been part of a trial, didn't know the answers to most of the legal questions, had never even taken a deposition. To be fair, he had helped with a couple depositions at some point in the past.

Aside from his limited knowledge and lack of experience, he did not appear to have much confidence either.

I've been in a fair amount of courtrooms over the years, the judge needs to know the law and know that she/he is in control of matters.

This guy needed far more experience and training under his belt before he could do that.

He seemed typical of the no-nothings that Trump has nominated for various posts.

Back to the topic at hand.

I've also watched Tony Knowles in action. If he says the advisory panel is a waste of time, it's a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 01:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I watched an interview of one of the Trump's nominees. The guy had never been part of a trial, didn't know the answers to most of the legal questions, had never even taken a deposition. To be fair, he had helped with a couple depositions at some point in the past.

Aside from his limited knowledge and lack of experience, he did not appear to have much confidence either.

I've been in a fair amount of courtrooms over the years, the judge needs to know the law and know that she/he is in control of matters.

This guy needed far more experience and training under his belt before he could do that.

He seemed typical of the no-nothings that Trump has nominated for various posts.

I've also watched Tony Knowles in action. If he says the advisory panel is a waste of time, it's a waste of time.
I don't think he's saying the Advisory Panel is a waste of time. I think he's saying that given Zinke's complete disregard of the Advisory Panel, that the panel members, who are knowledgeable and committed to the mission of the National Park Service, are being wasted by Zinke. They are a valuable resource. And they aren't being utilized.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
I might remind you about a Senate blocking a Supreme Court nominee, but instead I think I would prefer to point out that some of Trump's nominees need to be blocked. When the American Bar Association, which is non-partisan, deems nominees to be unqualified, and the President goes so far as to re-nominate such candidates, then it's up to the Senate to use its powers. The Senate reviews candidates just for this reason.
"]I might remind you about a Senate blocking a Supreme Court nominee,"

Revisionist history.

They did NOT BLOCK a Supreme Court nominee,

They gave their ADVISE as the Constitution states doing EXACTLY what the dems vowed to do If W. Bush submitted a nomination to the S.C. in his final year in office.

" When the American Bar Association, which is non-partisan,"

Another myth perpetrated by the left..

"Each cycle, contributions from this group favor Democrats by a significant margin. In the 2014 election cycle, the industry contributed over $120 million to federal political candidates and interests, 70 percent of which went to Democrats. [Read more Background]"

https://www.opensecrets.org/industri...us.php?ind=K01

Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If you're curious about the backgrounds of the board members who have resigned, you can read about them on the NPS's website here:

https://www.nps.gov/resources/advisoryboardmembers.htm

Also, according to the NPS website:

The National Park System Advisory Board are citizen advisors chartered by Congress to help the National Park Service care for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage.

The Board was first authorized in 1935 under the Historic Sites, Buildings, and Antiquities Act.

Other news reports have noted that the terms of those who resigned were set to expire in May 2018.
And of course most are nothing more then academia's with very little real world experience which is what Obama filled hs admin and most of his political appointees were.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
I don't think he's saying the Advisory Panel is a waste of time. I think he's saying that given Zinke's complete disregard of the Advisory Panel, that the panel members, who are knowledgeable and committed to the mission of the National Park Service, are being wasted by Zinke. They are a valuable resource. And they aren't being utilized.
You're right. He's not saying the Advisory Panel is a waste of time. Only that since Zinke won't even meet with them, it's pointless right now.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Don’t need an advisory board.

Drain the swamp.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
The answer is found in a quote buried deep in the article:

The board is required to meet twice a year but has not convened since Trump took office last January, Knowles said Tuesday. Members, most of whom have worked together for seven years, were surprised to not be consulted on Interior’s recent decisions to increase visitor fees and reverse a ban on plastic water bottles in the park system. The decision to reverse climate change directives and other policies drove the decision to resign, he said. “We were frozen out,” said Knowles, who emphasized that the group recognized Zinke would select new members this year but wanted “the momentum to continue” from what the board accomplished in 2016 during the park system’s centennial year."

So..it is another battle in the Climate Change war.

BTW..this board did exercise power..apparently the US cannot designate any new parks or monuments without the board's say-so. Not like that has been an issue with this administration. They seem more interested in turning the parks into sports shooting preserves.

"In at least two instances, Zinke has disbanded existing advisory bodies — the Wildlife and Hunting Heritage Conservation Council and the Advisory Committee on Climate Change and Natural Resource Science. He replaced the first one with the Hunting and Shooting Sports Conservation Council, which just started soliciting nominations Jan. 9. It will place a heavier emphasis on sport shooting while promoting hunters’ and fishermen’s access to public lands."
As usual the libs think we need a 12 person panel to decide " to increase visitor fees and reverse a ban on plastic water bottles in the park system."

They can't seem to do ANYTHING without a big panel.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

"I watched an interview of one of the Trump's nominees. The guy had never been part of a trial,...."

You were educated on this back when it happened and YOU tries to make big deal of it and FAILED.

90% of lawyers have NEVER been part of trial.

90% of lawyers are NOT trial lawyers.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
"They are a valuable resource."

To what, decide " to increase visitor fees and reverse a ban on plastic water bottles in the park system."?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
The National Park Service is one of the most FAR LEFT agencies in existence. They believe the parks are THEIRS, not OURS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies