Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM

833 posts, read 518,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Jimmy Carter was quite unconventional. He was a little known Georgia governor who came out of nowhere to win the nomination and then the election. A year before the election, nobody could have guessed he would win the presidency.
He was unconventional in that he beat a sitting vice president. That's it. Nothing else. And that charade ended quickly. Democrats couldn't even get Hillary Clinton - the "most qualified candidate ever" - over the finish line. Who the hell do you think will beat him as an incumbent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM

46,222 posts, read 26,988,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Do you really think this new center will have jobs requiring the use of a soldering iron?
In some instance, sure....why not? Everything, of course not... Unless your saying everything is automated...but then there goes the jobs...yes?

Old 01-17-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Apple hires top tier talent. Google does. Intel does. So forth... Most Silicon Valley companies hires top tier talent.

This won't be something you read about. This is something you know by experience. This is how the engineering profession is for electronic/software design. I've had my fair share of experience with interviews/HR chats in trying to land a job at one of those companies. I know what they're looking for.

I've interviewed for engineering positions at Intel, Western Digital, and Google before. All the other candidates possess a much higher level of education than me (it might be the same degree, but they're true experts in their area of research) and are much smarter than me. They can crunch math and software codes in their head on the fly. While I need to sit down with a piece of paper and pen to do it.
Top tier talent does not always require a masters or higher....that's all I'm saying.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,806,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Top tier talent does not always require a masters or higher....that's all I'm saying.
Not always sure, but most of the time it does require a master's or higher. Plus having a MS/PhD degree gives the company some assurance that you've met some level of educational standard at the university you went to instead of believing what you say.

It's like what are your chances of winning the lottery? Someone will win, but out of the millions that play, 1 will. So you might as well not play at that point cause your chances are so terrible.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
In some instance, sure....why not? Everything, of course not... Unless your saying everything is automated...but then there goes the jobs...yes?
Weichert, he just doesn't realize soldering was electronics design for a different era.

Today it's all automated. Design and tests are done via computers, software. Software is the one that does the testing now and circuits are automated to be wired a certain way.

Today is not that way anymore, soldering may be a valuable skill 2-3 decades ago, not today. There's still jobs that requires you to know soldering, no doubt about it. Don't expect a high salary though.

Wonder where all that AI stuff comes into play. hmmmmm

Last edited by man4857; 01-17-2018 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Do you really think this new center will have jobs requiring the use of a soldering iron?
I think if people know the real deal with how far technology as gotten. It'll scare everyone as to how automated everything is nowadays.

There's so many levels of software to automate everything, it's insane. There's software to run entire system tests all on it's own, software to write code, software to correct code, software to check circuit errors, etc... All you'd need is a computer with the right software packages and you're set as an engineer, you won't even need to know how a circuit physically looks like anymore. Why do extra work when you can have a computer do it?

The only thing computers cannot do so far that's hard to replicate is the design element. Design comes from people's creativity. That's very hard for a computer to mimic.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I think if people know the real deal with how far technology as gotten. It'll scare everyone as to how automated everything is nowadays.

There's so many levels of software to automate everything, it's insane. There's software to run entire system tests all on it's own, software to write code, software to correct code, software to check circuit errors, etc... All you'd need is a computer with the right software packages and you're set as an engineer, you won't even need to know how a circuit physically looks like anymore. Why do extra work when you can have a computer do it?

The only thing computers cannot do so far that's hard to replicate is the design element. Design comes from people's creativity. That's very hard for a computer to mimic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bck6a89ek6s

Shoot to the 4:09 mark and on....is that not solder?

Yes, I understand that it's almost always done (99.99999999999999999999999999%) by computer....

BTW, I'm not an Engineer....However, I've been in Aviation since 1987....I do have a MBA, only because I could not transfer my GI bill to my son....I technically missed is by 1 second.....I retired from the military July 31st at midnight, I could transfer my GI bill August 1st....

Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM

20,421 posts, read 12,341,203 times
this is why Democrats called the tax plan Armageddon.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM

7,476 posts, read 6,224,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
BUT BUT BUT .....

Trump is a racist that hates Africa... That is the medias attempt at distracting from good news.

I'm sure that this move by Apple was already planned out when Obama was President..
Probably in his first week

Old 01-17-2018, 03:18 PM

7,181 posts, read 4,747,145 times
Quote:
Do you really think that all 20,000 jobs will need MS/PhD's?
No, I’m sure they’ll need security, “clean room” custodian personnel, customer technical support and electronic techs/calibrators, etc.

They’ll still need plenty of post grad people if Apple plans meaningful investments. I read the article and it sounds like a lot of it is just expansion/improvements on what they already have.

The article says Apple is also buying stock back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies