Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM

30,308 posts, read 51,908,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
Even POTUS thinks it's ridiculous.
*grammar

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Seems Orange County is more affordable than I was told. A few tarps and a bicycle and you to can live in one of the best climates in the country.

Seriously, you gotta be kidding me. How about when amazon builds new headquarters, instead of cities offering them huge breaks, they require them to also build huge housing for homeless and require them to hire them. Some will be happy to stay on and work, some won't.

Don't need a college degree to put socks in a box.
Yeah, but you do need the desire to work and be productive - also need to be mentally stable, at least enough to show up at a certain time every day (and not cause problems socially). Sadly, there are very few chronically homeless people who would meet this criteria. And I specify CHRONICALLY homeless, as there is a big difference between people living under a bridge for years, and someone who's couch-surfing or sleeping in their car because of a temporary setback.

Coming from San Francisco and working in public services, I unfortunately know a LOT about the homeless population... and approximately 80% of them have untreated mental illnesses and/or substance abuse issues, which cause them to be unemployable (and lacking even the desire to change their situation). I have literally seen people fighting against those trying to help, because they are scared to make that change and/or get treatment. It's sad, but we can only do so much. Within the capacity of my work, all I can do is offer the resources and hope they avail themselves of them.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,533,451 times
all i saw were drug users who thought they were entitled to free living

Old 01-19-2018, 02:56 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,323,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
all i saw were drug users who thought they were entitled to free living
Yeah that's it ... they saw this great opportunity and seized it! Carpe diem! The lucky few!

Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Coming from San Francisco and working in public services, I unfortunately know a LOT about the homeless population... and approximately 80% of them have untreated mental illnesses and/or substance abuse issues, which cause them to be unemployable (and lacking even the desire to change their situation).
I wonder why it is so much lower here. Apparently, in Los Angeles, 30% of the city’s residents have a serious mental illness and 18% have a substance abuse disorder.

What if L.A.'s homeless population were a city? - LA Times

Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,617 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you do need the desire to work and be productive - also need to be mentally stable, at least enough to show up at a certain time every day (and not cause problems socially). Sadly, there are very few chronically homeless people who would meet this criteria. And I specify CHRONICALLY homeless, as there is a big difference between people living under a bridge for years, and someone who's couch-surfing or sleeping in their car because of a temporary setback.

Coming from San Francisco and working in public services, I unfortunately know a LOT about the homeless population... and approximately 80% of them have untreated mental illnesses and/or substance abuse issues, which cause them to be unemployable (and lacking even the desire to change their situation). I have literally seen people fighting against those trying to help, because they are scared to make that change and/or get treatment. It's sad, but we can only do so much. Within the capacity of my work, all I can do is offer the resources and hope they avail themselves of them.

As someone who knows a LOT about the homeless population, have you ever had a positive course of action or idea to help. Maybe something worth trying or discussing for the benefit of the homeless AND the general population.

I see this from so many; they seem to throw their hands up and claim to be doing their part while pushing paper and sipping their starbuck coffee.

Like I said, some will love the opportunity and keep their job, some won't.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
As someone who knows a LOT about the homeless population, have you ever had a positive course of action or idea to help. Maybe something worth trying or discussing for the benefit of the homeless AND the general population.

I see this from so many; they seem to throw their hands up and claim to be doing their part while pushing paper and sipping their starbuck coffee.

Like I said, some will love the opportunity and keep their job, some won't.
As I said, I actually WORK in public services... so yes, I do what I can to help. In my line of work (public librarian), our help comes in the form of providing them with valuable resources. I've directed them to shelters, food banks, clothing banks, social services, mental health resources, etc. I have occasionally been in charge of compiling these resource lists, and being in direct contact with local organizations. Additionally, for those who want to make positive long-term changes, we assist with things like filling out job or school applications. At my old library, we even had special "job hunting" computers set aside, which were solely to be used for job-related work (and had no time limits, unlike our general use computers).

So I don't just push paper and sip Starbucks, especially since I can't really afford fancy coffee these days. LOL. But I also don't have the power to make any significant changes, nor am I in any position to help them financially, since I struggle myself. And as a single woman, I can't safely be out "in the field" to physically assist. But having lived in San Francisco for years, I was able to "befriend" some of the homeless folks in my neighborhood, and gave them what I could when I could - e.g. a warm coat or blanket, food, sympathetic ear, even the occasional joint or beer.

What are YOU doing to help the situation, since you're asking?

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-19-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I wonder why it is so much lower here. Apparently, in Los Angeles, 30% of the city’s residents have a serious mental illness and 18% have a substance abuse disorder.

What if L.A.'s homeless population were a city? - LA Times
I may have overstated slightly (can't remember where I saw the 80% number), but you have to realize that San Francisco is an outlier, having probably THE worst homeless situation in the U.S. Also, I was speaking of chronically homeless, while those statistics probably include short-term/temporarily homeless & families. As I mentioned earlier, there is a big difference between someone who just fell on hard times & is without housing until things get better - vs. someone who has been homeless for YEARS, and has little desire and/or ability to change their situation. The latter group is where you see a higher percentage of substance abuse and mental illness, which is generally WHY they cannot get out of that life.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-19-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 07:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 737,617 times
Quote:
As I said, I actually WORK in public services... so yes, I do what I can to help. In my line of work (public librarian), our help comes in the form of providing them with valuable resources. I've directed them to shelters, food banks, clothing banks, social services, mental health resources, etc. I have occasionally been in charge of compiling these resource lists, and being in direct contact with local organizations. Additionally, for those who want to make positive long-term changes, we assist with things like filling out job or school applications. At my old library, we even had special "job hunting" computers set aside, which were solely to be used for job-related work (and had no time limits, unlike our general use computers).

So I don't just push paper and sip Starbucks, especially since I can't really afford fancy coffee these days. LOL. But I also don't have the power to make any significant changes, nor am I in any position to help them financially, since I struggle myself. And as a single woman, I can't safely be out "in the field" to physically assist. But having lived in San Francisco for years, I was able to "befriend" some of the homeless folks in my neighborhood, and gave them what I could when I could - e.g. a warm coat or blanket, food, sympathetic ear, even the occasional joint or beer.

What are YOU doing to help the situation, since you're asking?
Seriously ? ? Your last post states they have substance abuse issues, and as a public service worker, YOU HAND OUT JOINTS AND BEER.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Seriously ? ? Your last post states they have substance abuse issues, and as a public service worker, YOU HAND OUT JOINTS AND BEER.
I don't "hand them out," lol. It was mostly a joke, but I have bought a few beers (NOT as part of my job) for the guys I knew in the neighborhood... and if you think a single joint or beer worsens their problem, you have a lot to learn about substance abuse.

Hey, I'm not a counselor, I'm just a public librarian. And if they want help I'm happy to show them where/how to find it. But in the meantime, I figure you may as well be relaxed & warm if you're going to sleep on the street.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-19-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies