Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you pay more for goods that are made by United States citizens, in the United States?
Yes 99 72.26%
No 27 19.71%
Undecided 11 8.03%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:14 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I would not mind it.

In most cases the quality of US made goods is so much better than foreign made products that price isn't really an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
In my experience, Made In America is synonymous with overpriced low quality junk. I am not going to pay more for low quality crap just because it is made in the US. I bought an American car once, worst purchase decision of my life and with a few notable exceptions like dress shoes I have avoided American made products ever since.
So your into that high quality Chinese stuff

Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
No, I wouldn't pay more for American made unless it is better quality than the less expensive item. Why would anyone pay $20 or more for a tee shirt that is the same quality as the $5 one?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In most cases the quality of US made goods is so much better than foreign made products that price isn't really an issue.
Especially true for plumbing products that you typically buy at home depot. Home depot starting carrying US made Angle valves at about twice the cost of the Chinese valves. The Chinese valves typically dont even last 5 years. They're also not shipped 1/2 way around the world on ships powered by non replenishable fuel oil.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,235,798 times
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in well over ten years, so yes, I already pay more. I look at country of origin and try to find items made in America. If that's not possible, I at least try to avoid items made in China. Wal-Mart lost me as a customer after Sam Walton died. That is when the Made in America displays at the front door disappeared and the prices started dropping as W-M became a Chinese factory outlet store.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Bingo, the rise of Wal Mart and Chinese manufacturing tell you all you need to know about how this would work in real life. The bottom line is that other countries simply make better stuff at lower prices.
LG is one of them. Good quality, low price.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:23 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
I pay more for U.S. made goods all the time. Have for years.

Duluth Pack makes outrageous canvas totes, purses, book bags, backpacks, briefcases, portfolios. It's my standard graduation gift.

Their duffles last a lifetime, and you cannot beat their fleece hoodies or sweat pants.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I haven't shopped at Wal-Mart in well over ten years, so yes, I already pay more. I look at country of origin and try to find items made in America. If that's not possible, I at least try to avoid items made in China. Wal-Mart lost me as a customer after Sam Walton died. That is when the Made in America displays at the front door disappeared and the prices started dropping as W-M became a Chinese factory outlet store.
I bought gym shorts from there and they didn't even last 2 washes. :/ their quality sucks.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
There are no US made toaster ovens anywhere so it really doesn't matter where you shop these days.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I don't know about "most cases" we make a lot of cheap junk here too but yeah it varies a lot depending on the product. I certainly wouldn't pay more for a Chevy Cavalier over a Honda Civic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies