Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you supportAmnesty solely for 900 military DACAs?
I am Democrat, and yes I would 3 7.50%
I am Democrat, and No I would not 4 10.00%
I am a Republican, and yes I would 22 55.00%
I ama Republican, and No I would not 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

My understanding is enlisting in the military can give citizenship regardless. I do not know the mechanics, but when attending family member's boot camp graduation, they announced the citizenship of some. Maybe others know more, I didn't give it a thought at the time, but this seems like it wouldn't matter. A non-citizen could potentially gain citizenship by enlisting and successfully completing initial training. It doesn't appear to require an congressional approval for that anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:05 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The founders of our country are probably rolling over in the graves because of some of you. What made this country great was a diversity of cultures. And yes, immigrants made this country great. Stop being snobs thinking you are the greatest thing you give to our country because you don't.

First, all immigration should materially benefit existing Americans in the here and now.

Second, any argument you might make in favor of DACA amnesty places people in line for green cards, citizenship, etc. ahead of those that followed the rules.

Third, diversity my ***.

What diversity means today is an immigrant owns a business, cheats on his/her taxes, employs relatives off the books and they all collect all sorts of government benefits based on false low/no income.

This is extremely common where I live and I suspect it is very common all over the country.

In East Dearborn, everyone has a bridge card and a brand new Range Rover/Mercedes/Escalade.

There is only one way that happens.

You have to show up at the FIA and SS offices with a cane, a neck brace and an interpreter.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:08 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
I would support anyone that serves in the military, risking their lives for OUR freedom.

The other 800k who are whining and riding their coattails can take a flying leap back to where they came from!

Those who serve with distinction deserve citizenship. Those who demand citizenship without giving anything back (those who yelled Pelosi down) deserve NOTHING!

So far it appears we conservatives, Libertarians, and Republicans, are the majority with the compassion for the right people. Not bad for a bunch of "deplorables", eh?

I guess the left have checked theirs at the door.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:14 AM

23,562 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i wouldnt say that. the DACA people should get a path to citizenship, but it should be done if they serve this country in some manner. military service, peace corps, etc. can all earn DACAs citizenship. but it MUST be earned, not given like the democrats would want.
I don't agree with all of the other things, peace corps, etc. It should just be for those who have had honorary military service for at least one year, along with the other requirements in the military fact sheet link below. Anyone who had been written up for dishonorably behavior, had been dishonorably discharged, who have recently signed up/in boot camp, who do not meet the requirements, etc., should not qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My understanding is enlisting in the military can give citizenship regardless. I do not know the mechanics, but when attending family member's boot camp graduation, they announced the citizenship of some. Maybe others know more, I didn't give it a thought at the time, but this seems like it wouldn't matter. A non-citizen could potentially gain citizenship by enlisting and successfully completing initial training. It doesn't appear to require an congressional approval for that anyway.
Here is a link to "Naturalization Through Military Service: Fact Sheet"....

https://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-shee...ice-fact-sheet

edit to add..
Since obama failed to vet DACA's, it should also be a requirement that they are to be vetted. If they fail the vetting, even though they had served, they do not get in.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
I am a Republican, and yes I would

I honestly think it is better for the illegals to join the military, not the mentally ill.

What a sad situation we are in!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I would support anyone that serves in the military, risking their lives for OUR freedom.

The other 800k who are whining and riding their coattails can take a flying leap back to where they came from!

Those who serve with distinction deserve citizenship. Those who demand citizenship without giving anything back (those who yelled Pelosi down) deserve NOTHING!

So far it appears we conservatives, Libertarians, and Republicans, are the majority with the compassion for the right people. Not bad for a bunch of "deplorables", eh?

I guess the left have checked theirs at the door.
If they're really about service and saving lives, why aren't they joining their OWN country's military and helping their own people gain their freedom?

Old 01-19-2018, 01:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The founders of our country are probably rolling over in the graves because of some of you. What made this country great was a diversity of cultures. And yes, immigrants made this country great. Stop being snobs thinking you are the greatest thing you give to our country because you don't.
grow up. i have no problem with LEGAL immigration, in fact i welcome it. but what made this country great was a MELDING of cultures, not a diversity. we are a country of laws, obey our laws and we welcome you, disobey our laws, and you must accept the consequences of your actions.

enter this country illegally, and you should be deported when caught. if you started a family, then perhaps we can deal, but it shouldnt be easy, since you are jumping the line of those wanting to come here legally by following the rules. fines, community service, military service, etc. should be part of the path to citizenship for illegals.

in the end we need to differentiate between legal immigrants, and illegal immigrants. we also need immigrants to come here and continue to make this country as great as possible, to meld into this society across the board, to bring their cultures here and meld them with ones already here, THAT is how we will improve this country.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Again, a poorly designed poll.

I'd support doing something for these DACA people, military or not, as part of a comprehensive immigration solution. But not by itself. Once Democrats have got the DACA they will never help solve illegal immigration because they want it to continue. So the only way to get reform is to hold ending DACA over their head.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:29 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nope, I call them Mexican Mercenaries.
They get their commission.
Wow, that is a bit much. I feel that those who have chosen to swear the oath and sacrifice their lives if need be to defend our great nation should be granted amnesty. They've done more for their country than I ever have. I'm just a 40-something office weenie. The military dreamers are willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to be a part of this country, that is quite commendable.

Full disclosure, I voted "republican, yes."

Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the ones that served in our military honorably should get US citizenship they earned it.
Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies