Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
They share the same European colonization as the US, Canada, and Australia and also mostly practice Christianity, so why are Latin American countries not considered as part of the modern Western nations?
Because people aren’t taught Western Civilization in High Schools and colleges anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Because people aren’t taught Western Civilization in High Schools and colleges anymore?
You’re nuts.

People are still taking Western Civilization classes in 2018.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,790,721 times
It is. It's the Banana Republic part of the West. They might have changed that since the store appropriated the name, though.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:20 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are times when I do wonder if "the west" is just a racial term. The Americas as a whole are influenced by Western European nations, such as the UK, France, Spain, Portugal. Brazil received more Italian immigration than the USA did. Argentina too. However, Brazil is hardly thought of when it comes to "the west". Argentina is most White, but even Argentina is not always thought of as "the west".

I think when many people think of "the west", the USA and Canada are what comes to people's minds first, then the UK and France come next.
No.

Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea are members of the West.

Russia is not. Nor is Belarus.

The West consists of those who embrace democracy and the free market.

Argentina and Brazil have gone through periods of Junta Love.

There it is.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:32 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
There are varying degrees of being western. The majority of the Americas are western. I personally do not believe communism is compatible with westernism.

The answer isn’t black and white, but if someone is Christian (also Jewish, agnostic, or atheist), believes in democracy and/or Republicanism, speaks a western language (English, Spanish, Portuguese, etc) then they are at least partly westernized. Those are some of the cores to western culture. Other important aspects are the right to determine ones life direction, or pursuit of your own happiness and private property.

Many countries are in the grey area, but I consider all of Latin America western. It’s right in their name, Latin. Mexico isn’t that much different then Anglo countries, but as far as both being western countries, we are on opposite ends.

Japan as a whole isn’t western, their government form is western, but their average citizen is not. I’d argue a minority of their citizens are western in thought and culture, but not enough to say their whole country is western. South Korea is on the tipping point, and I’d argue they may be western. The Philippines are western just like Australia and New Zealand.

Anyone who argue the western world is getting smaller is dillusional, it’s not, it’s the dominate culture in the world and it’s gaining more influence.

Chinese culture is quite strong in China, but there is a reason YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc are blocked. The government there worries about western influence, but it’s too late for China, it’s just a matter of time before they start the process of westernizing like Japan and S korea. They already have actually.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:59 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,626 times
The "West" has a few meanings.

It is, in my view, most commonly used as a term to describe a Cold War axis of ideology, one that existed in opposition to the "East". Hence, Japan, India, and Turkey are part of the "West".

You might use it to describe Europe (or much of Europe) plus the "New World". You might use it to describe advanced economies (is China Western?). And you might use it to describe NATO or NATO+.

The West is not a particularly useful term. Most who use it casually are trying to avoid nuanced analysis of a matter at hand.

Huntington, who was sure a "West" existed, struggled with whether Turkey, former Soviet bloc states, and Latin America were a part of it. He was only really certain that no part of Africa was.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Not "white only" but why would I advocate for any one not white, when everybody and his dog is already doing that? Like I said what's good for whites is good for the country and anyone else compatible. I don't see you advocating for anything but what benefits yourself as a black person, so keep throwing those stones.

I don't consider most of Latin America Western because despite some similarities I see too many various differences.
Well, you are the one obsessing about race and prodding me regarding living in White areas. You have never heard me say a derogatory thing about White people.

Something else. I'm not trying to advocate for Black people. I am only trying to make sure I get a fair shake in this life time. I understand that as a Black man, that Black people have historically been looked down on and dehumanized and treated like crap in the USA. A simple look to the history books will tell you this. Because of history, I want to make sure that America doesn't go back to the days of Jim Crow, racial restrictive covenants, and those bad old days. There are also places around the world I would love to go to. I want to make sure I can guarantee I will be treated fairly. If making sure fairness prevails is a problem, tough.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Well, you are the one obsessing about race and prodding me regarding living in White areas. You have never heard me say a derogatory thing about White people.

Something else. I'm not trying to advocate for Black people. I am only trying to make sure I get a fair shake in this life time. I understand that as a Black man, that Black people have historically been looked down on and dehumanized and treated like crap in the USA. A simple look to the history books will tell you this. Because of history, I want to make sure that America doesn't go back to the days of Jim Crow, racial restrictive covenants, and those bad old days. There are also places around the world I would love to go to. I want to make sure I can guarantee I will be treated fairly. If making sure fairness prevails is a problem, tough.
Yeah, yeah. Putting all the blame on whites and others as racist, oppressors for not wanting to be integrated in the past and none on blacks is derogatory enough. You don't even appear to want to be around fellow black people, but want to prance around the entire non-black world. Black people are not all fair to other people. You don't acknowledge that either.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:37 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah, yeah. Putting all the blame on whites and others as racist, oppressors for not wanting to be integrated in the past and none on blacks is derogatory enough. You don't even appear to want to be around fellow black people, but want to prance around the entire non-black world. Black people are not all fair to other people. You don't acknowledge that either.
Actually, I was talking about YOU and the things you say. I was also talking about MY concerns. Not once in our exchanges did I blame White people for everything or call certain groups of people racist. I said that racism is not limited to Whites. Anyone of any group can be a racist. Either there is a reading comprehension issue on your part, or you are deliberately telling lies because you don't like what I have to say.

And so what if I have a problem with people who despise integration? So what? I'm not sorry for that. I'm glad integration happened. Anyone who has a problem with that can go kick rocks.

And I never said I didn't want to be around other Black people. You are saying that. If all you want to do is put words in my mouth, go somewhere else.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:52 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Quote:
Actually, I was talking about YOU and the things you say. I was also talking about MY concerns. Not once in our exchanges did I blame White people for everything or call certain groups of people racist. I said that racism is not limited to Whites. Anyone of any group can be a racist. Either there is a reading comprehension issue on your part, or you are deliberately telling lies because you don't like what I have to say.

And so what if I have a problem with people who despise integration? So what? I'm not sorry for that. I'm glad integration happened. Anyone who has a problem with that can go kick rocks.

And I never said I didn't want to be around other Black people. You are saying that. If all you want to do is put words in my mouth, go somewhere else.
Sometimes you have to understand when you are talking to a brick wall and just move on. There’s a lot of them on here... why waste your time on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies