Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 06:10 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is the definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

It is incredibly hard to agree on one concrete definition of western culture. It is generally
Nah, don't go there - try this one instead; it gives much better explanation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

"The geopolitical divisions in Europe that created a concept of East and West originated in the Roman Empire.[25] The Eastern Mediterranean was home to the highly urbanized cultures that had Greek as their common language (owing to the older empire of Alexander the Great and of the Hellenistic successors), whereas the West was much more rural in its character and more readily adopted Latin as its common language. After the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Western and Central Europe were substantially cut off from the East where Byzantine Greek culture and Eastern Christianity became founding influences in the Arab/Muslim world and among the Eastern and Southern Slavic peoples. Roman Catholic Western and Central Europe, as such, maintained a distinct identity particularly as it began to redevelop during the Renaissance. Even following the Protestant Reformation, Protestant Europe continued to see itself as more tied to Roman Catholic Europe than other parts of the perceived civilized world.

Use of the term West as a specific cultural and geopolitical term developed over the course of the Age of Exploration as Europe spread its culture to other parts of the world. In the past two centuries the term Western world has sometimes been used synonymously with Christian world because of the numerical dominance of Roman Catholicism and Protestantism compared to other Christian traditions, ancient Roman ideas, and heresies. As secularism rose in Europe and elsewhere during the 19th and 20th centuries, the term West came to take on less religious connotations and more political connotations, especially during the Cold War."

PS. The subject of this thread was about Latin America being "part of the West" ( or not) - so there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And what is everything else? Language, religion, family values in Mexico are all Western Culture. I don't know what else you want.
They have different values, ethics and world view. Real Westerners aren't so nepotistic. It's more similar to the third world and pre-Columbian culture. If you want to call it Western culture, it certainly isn't the best of it and should stay separate.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:15 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
They have different values, ethics and world view. Real Westerners aren't so nepotistic. It's more similar to the third world and pre-Columbian culture. If you want to call it Western culture, it certainly isn't the best of it and should stay separate.
Then go ahead and make up your own definition that suites you. Your words "Real Westerners" says everything anyone needs to know.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is your opinion. When I think of a racist, I don't think strictly of the west or strictly Europeans. I understand there is plenty of racism in non-Western places. There are parts of Eastern Europe and North Africa where I would be treated poorly (and in some cases, be facing the imminent threat of violence) just for being Black. I've been subjected to racial taunting from some Hispanic co-workers I worked with many years ago. I've gotten it from some South Asians.
No you just think of black, what is and isn't good for me as a black person, what's in it for me as a black person. Which is one thing, but you deny everyone else of the world who are not black the same prerogative.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Then go ahead and make up your own definition that suites you. Your words "Real Westerners" says everything anyone needs to know.
Well what about you and your definition that seems to be anyone Catholic and speaking a Western language is Western or European no matter their ancestry, appearance, behavior or world view. Some Latin Americans could be classified as Westerners but certainly not as a general rule.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:36 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Well what about you and your definition that seems to be anyone Catholic and speaking a Western language is Western or European no matter their ancestry, appearance, behavior or world view. Some Latin Americans could be classified as Westerners but certainly not as a general rule.
My definition wasn't made up. It came from the dictionary and I quoted it for you. Your issue is that you want Western culture to be very narrowly defined so it only pertains to the United States and European countries of Anglo Saxon ancestry and it just isn't so. All the arguing isn't going to change that. That's what YOU see it as because that's what YOU want it to be.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
My definition wasn't made up. It came from the dictionary and I quoted it for you. Your issue is that you want Western culture to be very narrowly defined so it only pertains to the United States and European countries of Anglo Saxon ancestry and it just isn't so. All the arguing isn't going to change that. That's what YOU see it as because that's what YOU want it to be.
Your dictionary definition you chose is not definitive, but anyway you're just claiming your definition is in accordance with it when it's not, but whatever.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
Your dictionary definition you chose is not definitive, but anyway you're just claiming your definition is in accordance with it when it's not, but whatever.
Have you ever been to Europe?

Old 01-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Have you ever been to Europe?
About 20 years ago, but I don't see why anyone would need to go there to tell the difference here between Latin Americans and Americans. There's plenty of Latin Americans and Europeans here to contrast. Do you think Europe say Britain, Germany or even Spain is more like Mexico than it is the US? I don't really think so.

I think I fit right in England, New Zealand or Australia and would stick out like a sore thumb in Mexico.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Bwahahhahahaaaa

Hwat?! No, Chile and Mexico are not considered developed countries.

...but then again, "developed" is just another arbitrary term with no concrete definition.
Yes Chile is developed, Mexico no. Chile has a low homicide rate, Mexico is sky high, Chile is low corruption, Mexico again is sky high corrupt. Also, Chilean wine is outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies