Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Maybe because immigration laws were never enforced before.
The LEGAL immigration laws were never enforced? The laws regarding people getting work permits that you claim Trump wants to cut down while asking for MORE work permits for his own businesses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 06:45 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It IS a waste of time and money. Only Confederate flag-waving troglodytes want that thing installed.
This, as many know is a waste of not only the time you took to post it, but also a time for normal Americans to read it.

`

Old 01-20-2018, 06:53 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Walls properly used can be a perfectly reasonable thing. A suitable wall along the border in San Diego makes reasonable sense.

Political walls built for the purpose of showing disdain for our neighbors to the south make no sense. The attemp to make a large and domineering wall would appear to be of the political wall type. In fact the most successful wall would be a much more subdued multiple wall with significant spacing and roads between them. And if proposed in suitable locations they would likely not be controversial.

it is a show wall that is dumb.
I've read such tripe before to where some might agree before realizing the additional "if neighbors" from the south is relevant.

You cannot honestly (in all good consciousness) believe that the best and brightest are illegally coming across our southern border, can you?

`

Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Considering how short people south of the border are, it would be even harder for them. I just wish there were videos posted of these tests. I will email the White House to suggest it. If you agree, do it, too. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

US Commandos Unable To Scale Border Wall | The Daily Caller
oh massive fail for the showman President. Those videos need to be all over the air waves. A little write up in The Daily Caller just isn't going to cut it.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:00 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This, as many know is a waste of not only the time you took to post it, but also a time for normal Americans to read it.

`
I assume by "normal Americans" you mean anyone who can actually compose a sentence in "normal" English, i.e. not you.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It IS a waste of time and money. Only Confederate flag-waving troglodytes want that thing installed.

But putting out $100 billion a year for illegal aliens isn't a waste of time and money?

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=5323928

Old 01-20-2018, 07:15 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is difficult to believe that these "commandos" were actually Seals or Delta guys. I kept occasional company with a couple of them in my younger days. Not at the same time, of course.

There is no way anyone I met during those years would given up on getting over a 30 ft. wall.

Mocked? I should say. They'd have been ridiculed mercilessly.

Maybe standards have fallen over the years.
The story suggests that the testers worked alone in trying the scale the prototype walls. In operations, I would think they work as a team.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:20 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
I cannot think of any endeavor that would be as big a waste of money as the border wall. Except for just literally firing up a pyre of cash, on what could this country throw away so much money with so little return?

If they ever remake Brewster’s Millions, Monty Brewster could just spend all his money on a border wall and the movie would be over in 5 minutes.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:24 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Good post. Facts are facts and a fantasy wall that costs billions and only stops a small percentage of the problem is a waste of money. I think we can all agree that we need border security as well as taking away incentives for illegals to come. I think the money can be better spent else where. Maybe a satellite surveillance system monitoring activity 24/7 with additional boarder patrol in sensitive areas? It creates jobs as well. How do you track people who come and over stay visa's and disappear? Maybe create more jobs to monitor the visa's and who leaves the country and who doesn't. I think jobs are a better way to spend those billions vs a wall. Then there's the bottom line. Anyone who hires an illegal is fined and possibly jailed. It won't be a popular bill to the donor class. That's why the incentive remains for cheap labor. As long as cheap labor is popular, the politicians will look the other way and try to appease the low information crowd with build that wall.
EVERYTHING you have suggested here has been tried. Most of them are on the books. Obama's border sensors were left in boxes and never installed. Satellites can be turned off and they don't keep anybody away. You are either misinformed or just parroting Washington.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:33 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I cannot think of any endeavor that would be as big a waste of money as the border wall. Except for just literally firing up a pyre of cash, on what could this country throw away so much money with so little return?

If they ever remake Brewster’s Millions, Monty Brewster could just spend all his money on a border wall and the movie would be over in 5 minutes.

Waste of money and the good walls don't work? Little return? I refer you to the links in my post #248.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies