Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 12:25 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It really doesn't seem that difficult, does it?

What was in the proposal that Lindsay Graham and ? (can't remember the Dems name) brought to Trump? I know it was bipartisan so must have had something for everyone. Seems that Trump was inclined to like it until Stephen Miller (hardliner on immigration) and General Kelly got a look at it.
Reports are that the Graham-Durbin bill that was presented provided 10% funding for the wall, increased chain migration and the end of the diversity lottery. However, a brand new lottery program was presented that would take the place of the diversity one. They shouldn't have wasted their time coming up with that one.....did they honestly think Trump would accept that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
On another thread, Mad Jasper spoke of the need for compromise on the immigration issue, which according to him...well...read below.

I'm personally for DACA, and I detest the wall proposal. Even so, if politics is about compromise, perhaps immigration reform should be based on what I understand Canada's to be. Or accept DACA in return for tripling the size of the Border Patrol and its budget, plus likewise for ICE.

I know I'll **** off liberals by saying this, but if this is what it takes to get DACA through, I could be for such a deal.
Explain why you want DACA so much?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
No amnesty for any of them, except ones who served in the military. If DACA is approved it wont be the 800,000 number Senators are lying about. It'll be in the millions, and their parents will be allowed to stay and probably others like grandparents, etc. And then there's the fraud potential. We can't even keep them from working in the country, how will our government prevent people from claiming DACA when they shouldn't qualify? No matter what anyone says I don't believe they'll be able to.

Will never understand how our politicians could put our citizens in this position. People from south of the border hate our government, they hate our citizens - especially whites; and they flood communities bringing high crime, gangs, a great deal of discrimination against our citizens living in those communities, and many refuse to learn English.

I told Trumpeteers during the primaries not to trust Lyin' Don, he was saying what he had to to get elected. Wonder how betrayed they feel now that he's made it clear he plans on granting amnesty (without calling it that). Not what they voted for. What the heck is the wall for if tens of millions of Mexicans and others are already here??? So its ok if we are invaded by millions who get to stay, as long as millions more don't come? Unacceptable.
I agree with much of what you're saying except the bolded. If we hold firm on no amnesty for DACA, we'll have no wall and an open border and the millions of illegals will still be here pumping out anchor babies. Also we'll have no end to chain immigration and visa lottery. I agree our illegal immigration and giving amnesty is a problem but we have just as bad problems with legal immigration and having an open border.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The only reason some illegals are in our military is because Obama waved his magic wand via DACA and allowed it. Prior to that illegals were not allowed in our military. Therefore, those in the military just so they could stay in our country should be considered for deportation also.

I'll wait and see what Trump actually does about DACA. At this point we just don't know for sure. So every single Mexican and those south of them are already within our borders? Huh? The wall is to prevent more from coming and would include criminals and terrorists. Those here already need to be deported including the DACAs and their families.
No where in my comments did I say all Mexicans and those south of Mexico are already here. I did say tens of millions are here, and they are. Much of the damage has already been done, that was my point. Tough putting the genie back in the bottle but we do need to send them back. Not just those who came across the southern border, but also those who have over stayed visas.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:35 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree with much of what you're saying except the bolded. If we hold firm on no amnesty for DACA, we'll have no wall and an open border and the millions of illegals will still be here pumping out anchor babies. Also we'll have no end to chain immigration and visa lottery. I agree our illegal immigration and giving amnesty is a problem but we have just as bad problems with legal immigration and having an open border.
You are correct, its quite a conundrum. Republicans need to do whatever they need to take a hardline stance on this issue. Even using the nuclear option if they can do so. Seems to be the only way good legislation gets passed these days. Democrats pretty much got what they wanted when Obama was president. Republicans rolled over like dogs wanting to get their tummies scratched.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Reports are that the Graham-Durbin bill that was presented provided 10% funding for the wall, increased chain migration and the end of the diversity lottery. However, a brand new lottery program was presented that would take the place of the diversity one. They shouldn't have wasted their time coming up with that one.....did they honestly think Trump would accept that?
Chain migration encourages people to come here to have their kids and rewards the illegals that put their kids in the DACA predicament in the first place.

I’ll never support chain migration.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,764 times
End birthright. No government financial support. Not eligible to vote. Voter id

Old 01-21-2018, 02:06 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Here’s a compromise: we allow them to go home without further penalties.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:14 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No DACA ever. No amnesty. No compromise on that issue. All illegals must leave.

THIS

If there is a compromise, then every American should also have 1 time compromise on anything they want.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,192,961 times
Allow a 5 year path to citizenship for $20 billion in border security and limits on chain migration. It's the only way to prevent from doing this again in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies