Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Not trying to be rude, but for the sake of conversation, care to explain how?

A lot of the DACA kids are school teachers, college students, and US military members. It's not like they're the type of illegals who work low wage jobs under the table and don't pay taxes. Many of the DACA kids actually contribute to society.

I've made it very clear that for me, border security is a top issue. So if Trump and Rs can get the full $18B for border security they want, I am totally fine with 800,000 people who have been here most of their lives anyway being given paths to citizenship or permanent amnesty. NOT their families, though. Just the DACA kids themselves.

I'm trying to be unbiased and objective here, and that seems like a very fair compromise for both sides.
He may be referring to granting DACA people amnesty, leaving the status quo in place, and repeating what we did under Reagan, so it repeats it's self all over again in a few decades.

We need to amend existing laws, write new laws in addition, secure our borders, and do what it takes so we never repeat this crap ever again.

I'm not in favor of granting these "dreamers" citizenship, or permanent status. They are the uninvited guests, if we allow them to remain as temporary guests for a few years, to get their affairs in order, they will need to prove to us that they are worthy to remain in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:28 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
DACAs should be given resident alien status as a bargaining chip and that's about it. There is already a pathway to citizenship, they just don't like it.
Maybe something like this, although I don't agree with giving them anything but a bus ride to the border:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...l__136028.html

Per the article:

First, the Goodlatte amnesty provision is extremely narrow. It would only allow illegal immigrants who currently have “deferred action on the basis of being brought to the U.S. as minors [to] get a 3-year renewable legal status allowing them to work and travel overseas.” In other words, there would be no permanent status or path to citizenship."

This, of course, would not allow them to vote, so selling it to the Dems would not likely be possible.

Interesting is the Secure America's Future Act of 2018: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/4760/text This is very intersting.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:29 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Conservative here.

Let the DACA kids stay ... as permanent residents. No citizenship.

I'd be on board with that.
I think that would deny due process of law.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:31 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
DACA is doable if anyone is interested. the truth is no one is interested.

DACA fix
DACA qualifiers given legal status but not citizenship. Reserve the right to deport felons
End amend Chain Migration to only include parents and children. If someone comes here, and brings their parents, the kids of the older parents are not included.

End lottery system period.

fund the wall.

This isn't rocket science

Nope on DACA!

Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I think that would deny due process of law.
Agreed. Current law allows a person who is a permanent US resident to apply for US citizenship. We should not attempt to create a new class of permanent residents.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Not permanent status.

Give them a five year temporary status. During that time they can apply for permanent status, so we can do background checks on them, and deport the undesirables. If they are too lazy to apply for permanent status... deport them.
Why should we even grant them temporary status? That's 800,000 jobs that should go to Americans and rewards their parents for bringing them here illegally.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Maybe something like this, although I don't agree with giving them anything but a bus ride to the border:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...l__136028.html

Per the article:

First, the Goodlatte amnesty provision is extremely narrow. It would only allow illegal immigrants who currently have “deferred action on the basis of being brought to the U.S. as minors [to] get a 3-year renewable legal status allowing them to work and travel overseas.” In other words, there would be no permanent status or path to citizenship."

This, of course, would not allow them to vote, so selling it to the Dems would not likely be possible.

Interesting is the Secure America's Future Act of 2018: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/4760/text This is very intersting.
The dems have done all their polling, and they think the "dreamers" would vote heavily for democrats, so they want to grant them all citizenship - now!

The dems just want to grant "dreamers" citizenship, and create millions of new Democrat voters. They don't want a process to weed out the criminals and undesirables, they just want votes, and political power.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:39 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
The thing is that from everything I have read, DACA and other illegal aliens are being allowed to remain in the country when if they were a legal immigrant, they would have been deported. Legal immigrants have a long list of actions that can get them deported. So, it isn't just the citizens that are considered lesser than illegal aliens, but also those that came to the country legally. What is wrong with this picture?

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...e-removed.html

We all know the Democrats are just looking for fresh blood when it comes to elections/votes with this DACA crap.

I watch the ICE website, and they have a continuing line of people that entered the country illegally and have committed an offense that is getting them deported to their home country, and there are no protests about that.

DACA is illegal. Send them home with extended family members. Keep the families together as they keep demanding, but in their own country.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
At some point, empathy becomes part of the situation.

Obviously I am aware that quite a few people here do not empathize with the DACA kids, and that is perfectly fine. But for me, if they've been living here in the US for over 90% of their lives, are contributing to society, and are paying taxes, I am fine with them staying here.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Not trying to be rude, but for the sake of conversation, care to explain how?

A lot of the DACA kids are school teachers, college students, and US military members. It's not like they're the type of illegals who work low wage jobs under the table and don't pay taxes. Many of the DACA kids actually contribute to society.

I've made it very clear that for me, border security is a top issue. So if Trump and Rs can get the full $18B for border security they want, I am totally fine with 800,000 people who have been here most of their lives anyway being given paths to citizenship or permanent amnesty. NOT their families, though. Just the DACA kids themselves.

I'm trying to be unbiased and objective here, and that seems like a very fair compromise for both sides.

Easy, put two and two together. For every job they are holding every college seat they have taken those are opportunities lost to Americans not to mention the added demand on our social and natural resources. If Americans got those jobs instead they in turn would be paying taxes and contributing to our society. It sets a precedence that all you have to do is sneak your kids over the border and they will get a pass on our immigration laws. They are also demanding that their parents get to stay also by screaming "separation of families". We will be battling that next in congress then.

These DACAs are also of the child bearing age which will increase our populations growth and unnaturally change the demographics of our country. Most if they gain citizenship down the road will mostly be voting Democrat and so will their offspring. You know darn well that's the main reason that they are supporting DACA and amnesty for all illegal aliens. The Republicans would be fools to cave into this DACA nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies