Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:58 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,938,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I don't agree with shutdowns at all. But apparently, the way we are governing these days leaves whatever party feeling like it's the only leverage they have.

The immigration issue is very nuanced and my views on it are evolving; however, in the case of DACA, I feel that it has become a humanitarian issue. I don't agree with how they got here, how long it's been allowed to continue, and so on. But I think it is cruel and inhumane to ship people back to a country they've never known and expect them to survive. They didn't ask to be brought here, and yes, their parents did this to them, but it does pull at my humanity heartstrings to think that in a blink of any eye they can be taken from the only home they've known, be transported to wherever, and dropped at the door. I strongly feel it is inhumane.

The Democrats may feel that their constituency feels the same way. I don't know. Don't know what the numbers are. I guess we'll find out over the next few months if it was the right or wrong thing to do.
Around 90% of Americans agree with you.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...pients-to-stay

This isn't a partisan issue. This should have been resolved so that our government could have moved on to other matters of business. In fact, there was a bipartisan deal that would have done just that - that Mr. Trump torpedoed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 09:59 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,900,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Trump can't sign anything that the House and Senate don't send him.

Senate can't pass a budget with a simple majority.

Dems want DACA as clean bill and they're willing to throw a temper tantrum to get it.

Sorry.... but it ain't gonna work.......you can stomp your feet and cry and wail like a bunch of spoiled brats whose Mommy said no in the candy store all you want.

Not gonna get that candy.
Just ask your Trump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7g0AFM7J1c

Old 01-20-2018, 10:00 AM

8,165 posts, read 8,567,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm ok with it if you are referring to dreamers - brought here before the age of 10 by the parents through no fault of their own.
Certainly no more a criminal that someone who sits in the getaway car during a robbery, right?

18,982 posts, read 9,121,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Around 90% of Americans agree with you.

This isn't a partisan issue. This should have been resolved so that our government could have moved on to other matters if business. In fact, there was a bipartisan deal that would have done just that - that Mr. Trump torpedoed.
Exactly. This wouldn't be an issue if the president had kept his word.

He orchestrated this shutdown by backing out of the deal he demanded.

End of story.

34,299 posts, read 15,727,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It is called, "The Art of the Deal."
The deal now is no negotiation on immigration until the gov. and military is funded.

Healthy President Trump has demonstrated once again what a healthy brain can do. The deciesed mind of Dem zombies will eventually be bashed by members of their own party.
Its already beginning to happen.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
race baiting thread. Not sure why these types of trolling threads are allowed to stand. Some of us "libs" (again, how is titling a thread with an attacking term for other posters ok??) are fine with making sure people who live, work, go to school, pay taxes, serve in our military etc etc are able to live their lives outside of the darkness esp. those who were brought here as children with no say in the matter.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,661,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Libs and Dems how did it feel that your political party puts criminal illegals before
you and your family as a law abiding citizens?

DACA dreamers comes before you.
Not you abiding by the law and being an USA citizen.
The problem with "DACA" is that the root cause is rarely addressed. This root cause has never
been shown on CNN (as an example) to the best of my knowledge.

Root Cause of Illegal Aliens Entering America:
The Spanish "Casta" - a system of racism based on degree of Spanish blood quantum.
Peninsulares>Criollos>Castizos>Mestizos>Full-Blooded Indigenous or African

For example, General Santa Ana, the Mexican Army leader who attacked the Alamo in Texas,
was a "Criollos". Many of his officers were "Castizos" and the "grunts" were usually "Mestizos".

The Spanish "Casta" has persisted into modern times with many peasant communities faced
with socioeconomic barriers and extreme poverty. The movie "El Norte" shows an indigenous
brother and sister trying to escape the Spanish "casta"' by moving to America - a symbolic
dream of "freedom and democracy" and affluence.

This root cause is never addressed. It would be a very effective way for Republicans to defend
themselves. Usually, if a white Republican is against illegal immigration, then that white Republican
is often labeled as racist. The raw racism of the root cause back at the illegal alien's original country
(e.g. Mexico, Central America) is rarely addressed.

Mexico had a slave trade on Native Americans into the early 1900s. The Spanish "casta" is a true
root cause for the poverty of peasants which they are trying to escape by moving to America.

The Democratic senators are totally oblivious to the root cause noted above. To be fair,
I agree that children are innocent and the dreamers were brought as children against their
will. Perhaps there can be some compromise to legally allow them to get membership. But for now,
the cold reality is that they are illegaly here.

By the way, I am Native American. I am aware of the "casta" because I was born and raised in
the southwest with many Mexican Americans as neighbors and classmates. That "casta" is definitely
a root cause. Will the Democrats ever address that? Probably not.
The Spanish Colonial Casta System

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efCK1A8k2Ds

I am not against Mexican children who are Dreamers. One of the greatest films about teens was
"Stand and Deliver" where Mexican American teens passed the AP exam in calculus in East LA.
Here in AZ, I have seen many excellent Mexican American scholar-athletes (e.g. Cain Velasquez).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_Velasquez

But that Spanish "Casta" is real, and its socioeconomic implications leading to asymmetric
distribution of wealth have persisted to this day.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,321,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Certainly no more a criminal that someone who sits in the getaway car during a robbery, right?
Really? You are not capable of distinguishing between a young child, perhaps even a baby or toddler and an adult who chooses to knowingly participate in a crime, even passively? I suppose you think that a toddler in their carseat while the adults in the car commit a crime should also be charged?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM

10,512 posts, read 5,198,272 times
Ending DACA would hurt the economy. Many DACA people are valued employees at businesses, and those businesses would be hurt if they lost them.

"The data illustrate that DACA recipients continue to make positive and significant contributions to the economy, including earning higher wages, which translates into higher tax revenue and economic growth that benefits all Americans. In addition, DACA recipients are buying cars, purchasing their first homes, and even creating new businesses. The survey’s results also show that at least 72 percent of the top 25 Fortune 500 companies employ DACA recipients."

These are not "criminal illegals." These are people who came here as children -- a choice they did not make -- but have assimilated into our society. The majority of them have good jobs, pay taxes; a significant fraction of them are in college earning a degree.

Conservatives stereotype DACA people as unemployed migrants who illegal swam across the Rio Grande at night. It's a false characterization. Trump says he wants merit-based immigration; fine, the DACA people are the "keepers" so let's keep them.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:07 AM

10,643 posts, read 4,146,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I don't agree with shutdowns at all. But apparently, the way we are governing these days leaves whatever party feeling like it's the only leverage they have.

The immigration issue is very nuanced and my views on it are evolving; however, in the case of DACA, I feel that it has become a humanitarian issue. I don't agree with how they got here, how long it's been allowed to continue, and so on. But I think it is cruel and inhumane to ship people back to a country they've never known and expect them to survive. They didn't ask to be brought here, and yes, their parents did this to them, but it does pull at my humanity heartstrings to think that in a blink of any eye they can be taken from the only home they've known, be transported to wherever, and dropped at the door. I strongly feel it is inhumane.

The Democrats may feel that their constituency feels the same way. I don't know. Don't know what the numbers are. I guess we'll find out over the next few months if it was the right or wrong thing to do.
Well, they can't just be let go either. They either have to start filing papers to become a legal citizen NOW, or go back to their home country. I also think we need to go after local governments and the IRS for not being more stringent. Where did they get the social security numbers to get into schools and file for their taxes? The homes they lived in, who were the owners? Did they just take the money and not bother to ask how their renters got the money? What about the employers who employed the parents obviously under the table? Basically, we have millions and millions of people being audited by the IRS for a miscalculation, we got legal kids being ripped from their homes because a kid drew something disturbing in school, we got businesses being audited, sued and shutdown for anything, from not passing code inspections, to not meeting diversity quotas, so in the end, this is a major problem for the United States. Basically, we have government officials that cherry pick what people to go after (Ted Bundy, Blue Ridge, Garden of Eden) and who they totally ignore, like all of these Daca families, the couple who bound and tortured their 13 children, and Hollywood that has a history of abusing women and children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies