Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times

Advertisements

My last thread about Twitter turned out to be a false alarm, though it was an alert from a friend of mine, who also appeared to have been mistaken.

However, I got this in an email from Twitter and heard that several other people got a similar one. Given the recent video of the Twitter employees saying that Twitter is actively censoring conservatives, that memo we found out about that came from Media Matters asking Twitter, Facebook, etc, to crack down on Trump supporters, and the long accusations of bias on Twitter, this email is pretty damning as I don't recall coming across any Russian accounts:

Dear #ShutdownTheDemocrats,

As part of our recent work to understand Russian-linked activities on Twitter during the 2016 U.S. presidential election, we identified and suspended a number of accounts that were potentially connected to a propaganda effort by a Russian government-linked organization known as the Internet Research Agency.

Consistent with our commitment to transparency, we are emailing you because we have reason to believe that you either followed one of these accounts or retweeted or liked content from these accounts during the election period. This is purely for your own information purposes, and is not related to a security concern for your account.

We are sharing this information so that you can learn more about these accounts and the nature of the Russian propaganda effort. You can see examples of content from these suspended accounts on our blog if you're interested.

People look to Twitter for useful, timely, and appropriate information. We are taking active steps to stop malicious accounts and Tweets from spreading, and we are determined to keep ahead of the tactics of bad actors. For example, in recent months we have developed new techniques to identify accounts manipulating our platform, have improved our process for challenging suspicious accounts, and have introduced new measures designed to identify and take action on coordinated malicious activity. In 2018, we are building on these improvements. Our blog also contains more information about these efforts.

People come to Twitter to see what's happening in the world. We are committed to making it the best place to do that and to being transparent with the people who use and trust our platform.

Twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
There have been several Twitter accounts proven to have been Russian bot accounts. That came out awhile ago.

As part of trying to clean that up, find those accounts, and delete them, I think that Twitter, Facebook, and others are informing users that you may have "fell for" one of these bots/sock puppets/fake accounts and thought they were real people or were genuine posts rather than the propaganda efforts pushed by certain countries.

I guess I'd want to know if I was hoping on some bandwagon or spewing misinformation.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:18 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
It's not our fault that Trump supporters listen to Russian propagandists. Democrats/Progressives/thinking people cannot be blamed for being smarter than Trump supporters.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
There have been several Twitter accounts proven to have been Russian bot accounts. That came out awhile ago.

As part of trying to clean that up, find those accounts, and delete them, I think that Twitter, Facebook, and others are informing users that you may have "fell for" one of these bots/sock puppets/fake accounts and thought they were real people or were genuine posts rather than the propaganda efforts pushed by certain countries.

I guess I'd want to know if I was hoping on some bandwagon or spewing misinformation.
I wonder if twitter is ONLY looking for Russia accounts? Because only Russia would supposedly try to influence an election..right? Not China, Iraq, Mexico, Brazil, et al would ever think of trying to do it...right? Is Twitter going to flag accounts of LaRaza members who encouraged illegal aliens how to vote and where to go to cast an illegal ballot? Yeah..didnt think so

Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
The biggest asset and assistance Putin and Russia has had is liberal MSM. Twitters contribution is minuscule in comparison.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:25 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I wonder if twitter is ONLY looking for Russia accounts? Because only Russia would supposedly try to influence an election..right? Not China, Iraq, Mexico, Brazil, et al would ever think of trying to do it...right? Is Twitter going to flag accounts of LaRaza members who encouraged illegal aliens how to vote and where to go to cast an illegal ballot? Yeah..didnt think so
I have no idea what they are going to do. They are doing this in response to congressional investigations and are providing their data to Congress. I suppose if Congress asks for them to find other countries, they will.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:27 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,623,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's not our fault that Trump supporters listen to Russian propagandists. Democrats/Progressives/thinking people cannot be blamed for being smarter than Trump supporters.
It is however YOUR FAULT that your not smart enough to ignore the whole "Dem eebil Russkies" hacked the election crap. Go ahead..wear it like a badge on your sleeve. And you can wear that shirt that says"I'm with stupid" with an arrow pointing upward...

Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
People look to Twitter for useful, timely, and appropriate information.
Sure we do Twitter. Just like we turn to CNN...the most trusted name in news.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:29 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
My last thread about Twitter turned out to be a false alarm, though it was an alert from a friend of mine, who also appeared to have been mistaken.

However, I got this in an email from Twitter and heard that several other people got a similar one. Given the recent video of the Twitter employees saying that Twitter is actively censoring conservatives, that memo we found out about that came from Media Matters asking Twitter, Facebook, etc, to crack down on Trump supporters, and the long accusations of bias on Twitter, this email is pretty damning as I don't recall coming across any Russian accounts:

Dear #ShutdownTheDemocrats,

As part of our recent work to understand Russian-linked activities on Twitter during the 2016 U.S. presidential election, we identified and suspended a number of accounts that were potentially connected to a propaganda effort by a Russian government-linked organization known as the Internet Research Agency.

Consistent with our commitment to transparency, we are emailing you because we have reason to believe that you either followed one of these accounts or retweeted or liked content from these accounts during the election period. This is purely for your own information purposes, and is not related to a security concern for your account.

We are sharing this information so that you can learn more about these accounts and the nature of the Russian propaganda effort. You can see examples of content from these suspended accounts on our blog if you're interested.

People look to Twitter for useful, timely, and appropriate information. We are taking active steps to stop malicious accounts and Tweets from spreading, and we are determined to keep ahead of the tactics of bad actors. For example, in recent months we have developed new techniques to identify accounts manipulating our platform, have improved our process for challenging suspicious accounts, and have introduced new measures designed to identify and take action on coordinated malicious activity. In 2018, we are building on these improvements. Our blog also contains more information about these efforts.

People come to Twitter to see what's happening in the world. We are committed to making it the best place to do that and to being transparent with the people who use and trust our platform.

Twitter

Sounds like twitter has taken it upon themselves, to think for you.
Obviously you are not smart enough, to think for yourselves.

I'm so glad I have never registered or created a Twitter, Facebook, My Space, or Google account.
The only thing I do is text, e-mail, talk on the phone and feed the trolls here.

Because everyone is too stupid to think for yourselves, Twitter must think for you. OK, I got it.
KGB for 1000, Alex.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm a Trump supporter. I don't listen to Russian propagandists. But, I also don't listen to Democrat propagandists who deny that the "dossier" on Trump was bought and paid for by the Hillary campaign, which colluded with Russian propagandists to create it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies