Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
A lien is not a judgement. It's a claim.
That is correct. You do not even need a Lawyer to file a lien. You do not need the courts to file a lien.

The lien is placed on property and you no longer have clean title to the property till the lien is removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
What I don't understand is why hospitals charge up to four times as much for the same procedure in ER for an uninsured patient as opposed to one covered by medicare. Sounds like they are milking the system.

Uninsured in U.S. charged four times what Medicare pays for ER visit -Reuters

Who pays when someone without insurance shows up in the ER? - USA Today

Old 01-21-2018, 06:34 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Tax Payers do. Dont think otherwise. The non tax payers are the ones who generally use ER to get a cold taken care of.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:52 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How so?
As long as you are making a payment to the Medical people, they cannot come after you.

So, it is cheaper to pay the hospital $75 a month, to pay off a bill, than to pay $900 a month for insurance that does not kick in, until I spend my deductible.
First of all, that's a myth. It's bull****. False. There is nothing to stop them from turning your account over to a collection agency to sue you, and they frequently do. If you're going to discuss this issue, take the time to learn what you're talking about.

Second, they won't even treat you for a longterm illness if you're not paying your bills. So your whole idea is nothing but an ignorant fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some people have had to self-insure and pay the penalty because they can't afford the *affordable* insurance through the healthcare exchange. Why call them ignorant?
His brilliant scheme to run up big medical bills and make token payments every month so that he can keep getting free medical care and avoid collections and bankruptcy is ignorant - because it doesn't work that way. And even if it did, it flies completely in the face of the conservative mantra of personal responsibility and paying your own way, because even millionaires can not pay for some diseases out of their own pocket without public assistance - and from his posts, I can guarantee he's no millionaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Exactly.

Hospitals that can't arrange sufficient reimbursement end up closing their doors.

Rural hospitals are particularly vulnerable as many rural residents either don't have insurance or have Medicaid with its low reimbursement rates.

When the hospital closes, the medical practices in the area generally close as well.

Those needing emergency medical care, or really any medical care at all, have to drive to more metropolitan areas where those with insurance subsidize their care.
And most of them have it coming, because that's the demographic that wants to repeal the ACA. So **** 'em. They can drive halfway across the continent every time their kid gets a sore throat, as far as I'm concerned. No sympathy at all for people who are stupid enough to consistently vote against their own self-interests.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 01-21-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
People who pays taxes, of course.

There was this case here in AZ that an illegal immigrant caught at the border got a 400k kidney transplant at taxpayer's expense and the people of Phoenix were furious. Its just not happening in my state but a lot of places across America where illegal immigrants that have not contributed a penny getting these high priced healthcare procedures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
The same people who pay for Obamacare subsidies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Almost $9 billion in student loan interest subsidized Obamacare. These young people are paying high interest rates as a result of it.

I hate to break it to y'all, but this issue has nothing to do with taxes, or Obamacare, or student loan interest, or illegal immigrants.

This is solely about EMTALA, passed in the 1980's.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Hospitals themselves cannot place a lien on anything. That requires first having gone to court and being awarded a judgment.
That is done quickly and easily with a signature.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Most states have a special pot of funds to reimburse hospitals for uncompensated care.
http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/170329968

Medicare also provides funds to reimburse hospitals for uncompensated care.

https://www.hfma.org/Content.aspx?id=55157

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/160809988

This being said much often depends upon what type of hospital we're speaking about.

Some charity/indigent/hospitals of last resort, often will simply write off a good portion of uncompensated care. Since many consider it their "mission" to provide healthcare to any and all regardless of ability to pay, such places often do not go full frontal into collections or trying other means to recoup costs.

Many hospitals or healthcare providers give amounts of "uncompensated" care as part of their business model. https://vnhs.org/blog-post/uncompens...our-community/

OTOH some other hospitals will send unpaid bills to debt collector and or sell off the "bad debt" outright in order to get paid. Indeed some places are rather aggressive which lead to all sorts of wailing and moaning to lawmakers locally and in Congress about people being *forced* into bankruptcy or whatever because of being hounded for unpaid healthcare bills.
So basically, our tax dollars pay for uninsured....

Quote:
They get a bill with payment options.

The question was who FOOTS (pays) the bill, not "who defaults on it".

Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
About 10 years ago, I was in the hospital for three days and my "pharmacy charge" on my hospital bill was nearly $700 for about a dozen blood pressure pills. Even though BCBS paid all of my bill, minus $200, it still means they shelled out a nice pile of money for those dozen pills. I get 90 for $2.88 at Walmart. There's still plenty of "bill padding" going on, despite your insurance company paying a fraction of the retail bill some poor, uninsured soul would get stuck with!
Here is the dirty little secret: Medical providers contract with insurance companies. They bolster a bill which they give the insurance company a contracted (reduced rate) behind the scenes. Your co-payment is pretty much the payment. Insurance companies win. Hospitals win. You lose.

HEALTH INSURANCE
Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us

Old 01-21-2018, 09:20 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Who foots the bill when an uninsured person goes to the local hospital emergency room ?
As always. You pay for indigent care - have for over 40 years

Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
How so?
As long as you are making a payment to the Medical people, they cannot come after you.

So, it is cheaper to pay the hospital $75 a month, to pay off a bill, than to pay $900 a month for insurance that does not kick in, until I spend my deductible.
So basically you are suggesting people pay $75 so they can leach off more responsible people, because that makes them smart? MAGA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies