Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.47e92233bd18

But CNN also asked a question that gets to the heart of the deal Schumer may have been trying to make.

What’s more, what Schumer offered was apparently not the full cost of covering the entire border along the wall. In a news conference on Saturday, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney disparaged Schumer for claiming to have agreed to funding the wall — he actually agreed to only the $1.6 billion the administration asked for in 2017.

As I said:
Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was President Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was Schumer rejecting anything reasonable. His intention was solely to shut down the government, in hopes that he could somehow shift blame for what he'd done, to Republicans.
I see articles on it.. Mulvaney says it was only $1.6B and Schumer is lying; Schumer counters that Mulvaney was lying and he let Trump specify the number in the meeting and agreed to put it on the table. Both are capable of lying, so who knows who is right... Maybe somewhere in the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Because we dont want our country turning into this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/w...eden-q83g055k9

Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?

This is easy to explain.

It's obvious that tRump orchestrated this shutdown.

He wants to be seen as the "savior" when it's finally resolved.

After all, he sees himself as a "star" much more than as prez. And it'll feed his fragile ego tremendously if and when he's seen as the one resolving this shutdown that he himself is responsible for.

Consider the following:

tRump statements on "signing whatever agreement congress comes up with."

tRump statements on "no deal."

McConnell complaints that "congress isn't clear on what tRump wants."

He was purposely obscure in order to cause confusion and maximize probability of shutting down the govt.

The buck stops where?

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemoc...3595974066781/

Old 01-21-2018, 09:49 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Because DACA is stupid
Because the border wall is stupid.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think you are misinformed. From what I heard, Schumer came with more demands. Basically, the President told him to 'take a hike, this is your problem. I'm staying out of it' It isn't the President's job to insert himself into budget negotiations. That is the job of Congress alone. The House did their job. Now it's up to the Senate.
But Trump is the deal maker. This is what he does. It's what he lives for. It's why he said we should elect him. He's said this many times before and after being elected. Perhaps a Google search would help you.

Well, he was elected. Where is he?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:59 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Well, I think the only thing this thread has turned out to show is that it's "he said / she said," and no one can prove the other side is lying...and people are gonna believe whichever side is convenient for their own bias.

I really can't say with any confidence at this point that I know what happened in that meeting and who is / isn't telling the truth.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:43 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump was appealing to his base and creating a distraction from the Russian/Trump investigation.

It worked.

As we can see from the plethora of posts on this forum, his base is riled up and no one's talking about the Russian/Trump investigation.

and Schumer and the Democrats aren't appealing to their base of RESIST and deny anything to Trump on the wall and illegal immigration? if Democrats were sincere they would join Trump to stop sanctuary cities that defy federal immigration laws but they don't....they double down and triple down on sanctuary cities.

what does this has to do with the Russian investigation? ............Trump is supposed to ignore his agenda on the border and illegal immigration because there is a Russian investigation that so far has been a joke? LMAO!

so anything that Trump does is a distraction from an investigation that hasn't reported anything new in months and has serious issues ? LOL

Old 01-21-2018, 10:51 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The wall is smoke and mirrors.

People woke up to the fact that that big cheap house was the result of illegals. That cheap chicken was the result of illegals in the processing plants. They started measuring their cost in taxes to pay for the welfare benefits going to anchor children and their parents That's when the chamber types and their hand picked politicians started in on we cannot do a thing about illegals until we get a wall.

IDKW, they couldn't have beefed up the Border Patrol and started deporting 20 years ago. Had as much time and effort gone into e verify as has been spent pissing in the wind about a wall, this turmoil would not be needed.

The Chamber, the Restaurant Association, the food processors and the rest have now put their politicians in a bind because the base wants the illegals deported. The business owning Republicans and the bleeding heart liberals looking to save mankind are the perfect storm.
I keep hearing from Democrats that e verify is never utilized because Republicans want to protect business and keep cheap labor. I agree with that. Now when the Trump Administration sends border agents to businesses that employ illegals, the Democrats claim it’s racist and California even wants to make it illegal for businesses to comply with ICE. That’s why we know it’s all bs and all the Dems want is open borders.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:34 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
This president said publicly this government needs a shut down.
And his statement is proving true.

In the past, Democrats would ignore what Republicans wanted, craft their own bill that gave Dems everything and Republicans nothing, and ignore Republicans efforts to find a middle ground. Just as Charles Schumer (D-NY) did yesterday with this tiny "offer" for funding only a tiny fraction of the fence. And then Democrats would wait, refusing all counteroffers, and eventually the Republicans would cave. And the government wouldn't get shut down.

Democrats have gotten used to their "wait for the Repubs to cave, they always do" tactic. The only thing that would get them out of that destructive rut, is for the government to shut down AND THE DEMOCRATS TO GET (JUSTLY) BLAMED FOR IT.

And that, for the first time, is what's happening now. President Trump has been on a long campaign to point out the truth about the huge media bias and get normal Americans to realize that what they hear in the news isn't necessarily the whole story, and often not true at all. As a result, the Dems have lost their most valuable ally: A press that will boost them all the way and destroy Republicans.

For the first time, the American people will (justly) blame the Democrats for the shutdown, as they realize it's the Dems making silly "offers" that favor only themselves and give the Republicans nothing. While the Republicans have been offering reasonable compromises and deals that give each side part of what they want. I only hope that Republicans stick to their guns, keep reasonable deals on the table, and wait for the Dems to meet them halfway, for a change.

It will go badly for the Democrats if they don't.

Yes, this government needs a shutdown. One that correctly blames the Democrats for the impasse, and punishes them by their losing seats when normal voters realize they are causing the problems. And the government is getting one.

Trump was right.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:36 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Because the border wall is stupid.

No, it's not stupid. It's proven to be very effective. It just needs to be completed. Do I have to post those links once again proving it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies