Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:50 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If there is nothing there why are 2 people under house arrest and 2 others have taken guilty pleas?
The "nothing there" argument is just silly.

Senators and Representatives walk out of those hearings looking like they've seen a ghost.

WH staff are refusing to answer questions.

Stories change constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,250 times
The Republicans who control the House, Senate and the President, believes they are in their right to put forward ideas that the other side automatically agrees with?

Republican: I want "A".
Democrat: Sorry, I dont belive in "A", but could give you "a" if you give us "b".
Republican: No, I don´t want "a+b". I want "A".
Democrat: Oh.. that is to bad, because "b" is very important to us.
Republican: We control the House, the Senate and the Presidency. WE DEMAND "A".
Democrat: But you don´t have the votes... "a+b"?
Republican: YOU SHUT DOWN THE GOVERMENT... YOU DID NOT GIVE US EVERYTHING WE DEMANDED.
Democrat: ...

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Link / source how much Schumer offered? In what I saw, he didn't specify. Not saying you're necessarily wrong, just hard to know what is true when the info about the negotiations comes from the negotiators themselves.

You started the thread!

Where is your source?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
And before anyone asks, here's my link. Yes, I'm sure many will find it convenient to dismiss it.

Trump and Schumer came close to a deal. Then it fell apart - CNNPolitics

"The border offer went beyond what was included in the bipartisan plan conceived by Sens. Dick Durbin and Lindsay Graham which Trump rejected last week in vulgar terms."

Durbin and Grahmnesty?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
I realize that anything I say from the media is immediately going to be dismissed as "Fake News," but there are some details emerging of Schumer's talks with Trump. They met in person and had what appeared to be a promising talk. Schumer says he put the border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA. They left on an optimistic note, with Schumer asking Trump to sell it to his folks. Some hours later, John Kelly called Schumer back and said no deal, it was still too liberal.

If this did in fact transpire in this manner... shouldn't both sides have taken it?

Feels like some hardliners basically blocked what would have been a reasonable compromise.

It all boils down to the way Trump plays the game. First, he agrees to a deal, shakes your hand, but when the paperwork comes down to sign, he suddenly changes his mind. That is how he did his real estate business. He would promise someone to do something, but later he would refuse to pay them that amount or not go through with the project.

If you read "The art of the deal" (I have read a good portion of it) he does that to get the person off balance and to negotiate a better deal. He felt that same strategy would work once he got into politics, but is finding out it's a whole nuther ball game.

What it does is, it creates an environment where no one can take his word for anything, not even his own side. A man's word is all he has in this world, and , as we have all seen, Donald Trump twists and turns the truth daily.........one thing one day, and the next day "I didn't say that !" He is dishonest to his core, and Leopards do not change their spots.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Age old bait and switch tactic. Tip O'Neill did something similar in negotiations with President Reagan. I recall Senator Feinstein saying - paraphrasing here - We'll commit to border security improvements, but after you make DACA permanent, during the 'recent' televised DACA negotiations.

It is always I want mine first, you will have to trust me for my part. I promise. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.47e92233bd18

But CNN also asked a question that gets to the heart of the deal Schumer may have been trying to make.

What’s more, what Schumer offered was apparently not the full cost of covering the entire border along the wall. In a news conference on Saturday, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney disparaged Schumer for claiming to have agreed to funding the wall — he actually agreed to only the $1.6 billion the administration asked for in 2017.

As I said:
Only mystery is, why did Schumer offer such a tiny fraction of what was needed? It was an obvious "up yours, we're not going to let the wall be built" statement.

Clearly Schumer didn't intend to make ANY acceptable offer. Just so he could then go before the cameras and claim "Well, I made an offer, it was President Trump who rejected it, not me" ....when in fact, it was Schumer rejecting anything reasonable. His intention was solely to shut down the government, in hopes that he could somehow shift blame for what he'd done, to Republicans.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
I realize that anything I say from the media is immediately going to be dismissed as "Fake News," but there are some details emerging of Schumer's talks with Trump. They met in person and had what appeared to be a promising talk. Schumer says he put the border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA. They left on an optimistic note, with Schumer asking Trump to sell it to his folks. Some hours later, John Kelly called Schumer back and said no deal, it was still too liberal.

If this did in fact transpire in this manner... shouldn't both sides have taken it?

Feels like some hardliners basically blocked what would have been a reasonable compromise.
Chain migration and diversity visa ending

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
I truly think the Dems are doing this because they are panicked at the reverse in polls showing Americans are waking up to the Dems lies about the TAX/JOB bill. The Dems don't want the public to pay attention to how good the economy is and are hoping Monday the stock market will start crashing and/or people will be totally distracted for weeks with all the fake "Trump" budget chaos they can spin, spin, spin.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
The Republicans who control the House, Senate and the President, believes they are in their right to put forward ideas that the other side automatically agrees with?

Republican: I want "A".
Democrat: Sorry, I dont belive in "A", but could give you "a" if you give us "b".
Republican: No, I don´t want "a+b". I want "A".
Democrat: Oh.. that is to bad, because "b" is very important to us.
Republican: We control the House, the Senate and the Presidency. WE DEMAND "A".
Democrat: But you don´t have the votes... "a+b"?
Republican: YOU SHUT DOWN THE GOVERMENT... YOU DID NOT GIVE US EVERYTHING WE DEMANDED.
Democrat: ...
THIS! ^

The GOP is trying to gaslight the American people.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Schumer put border wall funding on the table in exchange for DACA..why did Trump end up rejecting it?
Because he thinks a shutdown means same as vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies