Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Wow. A large portion of the US population wouldn't be here if our ancestors had your attitude. In fact, unless you're a Native American, you wouldn't be here either.
What makes you think they didn't have that attitude? There were various restrictions on immigration at least since 1880s to 1965. It would suit me just fine if a large portion of the US population from more recent arrivals wasn't here.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:51 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What makes you think they didn't have that attitude? There were various restrictions on immigration at least since 1880s to 1965. It would suit me just fine if a large portion of the US population from more recent arrivals wasn't here.
You know what I meant. You're being pedantic.

Today's anti-immigration rhetoric is being driven by nothing more than bigotry and blind hatred. I know it and you know it. Proclamations such as "immigrants are costing us billions" are nothing but sophomoric red herrings.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Wow. A large portion of the US population wouldn't be here if our ancestors had your attitude. In fact, unless you're a Native American, you wouldn't be here either.
Even if true that's completely irrelevant to crafting immigration policies that benefit current citizens.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:

Today's anti-immigration rhetoric is being driven by nothing more than bigotry and blind hatred. I know it and you know it. Proclamations such as "immigrants are costing us billions" are nothing but sophomoric red herrings.
... describes post #58.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:

They absolutely aren't red herrings. Mass immigration is costing Americans a lot, job opportunities and sometimes their livelihoods, helping erode the culture and everything in between. The sophomoric red herring is the claim opposition to immigration is driven by bigotry.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The fact people with 90 IQ have college degrees tells ya we don’t need “free college “
Pick one:

1) Subsidize a $15k/yr tuition education for 2-4 years at a public university or college so they can actually be employable

2) Spend at least that much on on going welfare programs so that they can survive

3) Spend $50k/yr incarcerating them for decades if they end up having to resort to crime to survive.

There are few opportunities for people without any higher degrees that haven't been automated away or handed under the table to illegals working for less than minimum wage.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:58 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Ok and? Many of those same people continue on to law school, medical school and other professional schools where most testing is anonymous. If they weren’t as intelligent as others, they would not be able to pass those examinations. A good friend of mine from a 3rd world country recently passed the Maryland Bar exam. Half of his exam answers were chosen as model answers. They’re bright...period.
Your friend is what is called an outlier. The "Talented tenth" of the third world population.

There are high IQ people in all groups. There are just less of them in those groups, so when the average IQ is a full SD or more below the American average, then you aren't going to find nearly as many high IQ individuals. That you happen to know one, is not proof dis-positive of this fact.

Quote:
I suspect that many non-refugee folks with university degrees also have sub-100 IQs. Witness the plethora of threads on this forum in which posters defend spending tens of thousands of dollars on useless degrees based on the preposterous notion that education for the sake of education is somehow a noble pursuit. There are some seriously clueless people out there who are, apparently, completely oblivious to their limited mental acuity.

Causation does not equal correlation. Perhaps you should consider the possibily that refugees can't find jobs due to bigotry.
Yes, because IQ is an average, so you don't have to "suspect" it, you should understand it to be true.

But that's not the point. The point is as a society, since we don't actually need more people just to have more people (we have plenty, will never run out of people!), we shouldn't be importing worse people than we've already got. We need to improve society, not pollute it. You can't improve a society by importing a bunch of dumb stupid people, and if you take only the intelligent wealthy ones, you're literally sucking these poor countries dry of the only talent they've got. How is that going to help them? No, they need to stay in their own nations, and improve them. These people must bloom where they're planted. That's their destiny. Not coming to America to make tech titans more wealthy. We don't need to do that. The Zuck will be okay without more billions, ok? He's gonna be fine. We don't need to make him richer.

Quote:
LOL that's idiotic. There are no such things as "Native Americans" since humans are not native to the Americas. Why don't you know this already?

Quote:
Sigh. We're not "overrun" and they don't cost us "billions". I encourage you to step out of your alt-right echo chamber and join the rest of us in the real world.

Regarding the use of the word "stupid": glass houses. 'Nuff said.
They do cost billions. In CA alone, its 23B a year...each and every year that goes up.

Quote:

No, its absolutely the truth, they cost us billions, and thousands of deaths, injuries, and crime victimizations per year. We don't need that, we don't want it, and we won't tolerate it any more. End of story.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Your friend is what is called an outlier. The "Talented tenth" of the third world population.

There are high IQ people in all groups. There are just less of them in those groups, so when the average IQ is a full SD or more below the American average, then you aren't going to find nearly as many high IQ individuals. That you happen to know one, is not proof dis-positive of this fact.

Yes, because IQ is an average, so you don't have to "suspect" it, you should understand it to be true.

But that's not the point. The point is as a society, since we don't actually need more people just to have more people (we have plenty, will never run out of people!), we shouldn't be importing worse people than we've already got. We need to improve society, not pollute it. You can't improve a society by importing a bunch of dumb stupid people, and if you take only the intelligent wealthy ones, you're literally sucking these poor countries dry of the only talent they've got. How is that going to help them? No, they need to stay in their own nations, and improve them. These people must bloom where they're planted. That's their destiny. Not coming to America to make tech titans more wealthy. We don't need to do that. The Zuck will be okay without more billions, ok? He's gonna be fine. We don't need to make him richer.

LOL that's idiotic. There are no such things as "Native Americans" since humans are not native to the Americas. Why don't you know this already?

They do cost billions. In CA alone, its 23B a year...each and every year that goes up.

No, its absolutely the truth, they cost us billions, and thousands of deaths, injuries, and crime victimizations per year. We don't need that, we don't want it, and we won't tolerate it any more. End of story.
Nope.

Research is your friend. I'll even help get you started: Google.

Hint: 50% of legal citizens don't pay income tax. They do, however, as do many illegal immigrants, pay sales tax, property tax, etc. Do the math and get back to us. Apology accepted in advance.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:26 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
https://voiceofeurope.com/2018/01/ev...iq-of-only-93/

Here's a thought: Instead of importing hundreds of thousands of low skill, low IQ, violent, rapy, misogynistic third worlders that will only turn wherever they go to into a ****hole start emphasizing Europe's native population to have more kids! European women need to start having children as they did in the old days.
Clearly, you need to read a whole lot more: it’s already been tried and new measures/laws are always popping up all the time.

Look it up.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That is a very effective argument to make... with people whose grasp of numbers is so weak they don't know what an "average" is, let alone the concept of outliers. Of course some 3rd world refugees are very bright, but do you really want someone at the average, with a 93 IQ, to be your lawyer... or doctor?
I want the individual who can actually perform the tasks of the job well. Many people test well but perform poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies