Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should society strive to help those with substance/mental problems?
Yes 34 70.83%
No 11 22.92%
Not Sure / Undecided 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
What a horribly misinformed post.
Like wet houses for alcoholics, do they have places where addicts that don't want to stop shooting up can go?

What if we legalized drugs across the board and threw a few bucks into these places? Would Big Pharma, drug smuggling, gang violence etc. become a thing of the past?

I also understand you are a proponent of legalization of weed. Would this steer some from worse drugs for some, spare a few folks that like to go clubbing with molly, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
For those that are born into it, bad family , sex trafficker etc. I totally agree with this.
For the person that decides that alcohol , and weed just isn't fun anymore, and makes the choice to hit that needle....I'm sorry. There is enough knowledge out there that these drugs are highly addictive probably not the best thing for you, not to mention illegal. For these people, it's on them.
Would you say the same thing to people who are obese? There is enough knowledge out there that obesity causes a myriad of health problems to know eating yourself into obesity is not the best thing for you. Sorry, fat people, but it's on you.

Drug addiction is a medical condition. If you are truly interested in cutting down the number of addicts you will admit this.

If, on the other hand, you only care about punishing them for their addiction, you will not.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:20 AM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Would you say the same thing to people who are obese? There is enough knowledge out there that obesity causes a myriad of health problems to know eating yourself into obesity is not the best thing for you. Sorry, fat people, but it's on you.

Drug addiction is a medical condition. If you are truly interested in cutting down the number of addicts you will admit this.

If, on the other hand, you only care about punishing them for their addiction, you will not.

Actually I would. Except for the cases of and actually medical issue resulting in obesity.

I am fat, and it is on me pure and simple.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:22 AM

29,490 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post

Okay. I buy into this. I'm sure there are a lot of addicts that really do want help to get out and this would be it. There are those though, that truly enjoy it and for them there is no help.

What we are currently doing is not working , so why not give it a try.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Okay. I buy into this. I'm sure there are a lot of addicts that really do want help to get out and this would be it. There are those though, that truly enjoy it and for them there is no help.

Exactly right. Kudos to you for reasoning this out.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Drug/overdose issues? No, not societies responsibility. Druggies made their choices on their own, they can live (or die) with them. We have far more important and deserving people to take care of.

Mental illness? Yes, help should be offered. The problem is at what expense, both to taxpayers and to the freedom of choice of the MI.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Drug/overdose issues? No, not societies responsibility. Druggies made their choices on their own, they can live (or die) with them. We have far more important and deserving people to take care of.

Mental illness? Yes, help should be offered. The problem is at what expense, both to taxpayers and to the freedom of choice of the MI.
If expense is all you care about, then we are spending a lot more on incarceration and law enforcement than we would on treatment.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:51 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
If expense is all you care about, then we are spending a lot more on incarceration and law enforcement than we would on treatment.
Which is why I have supported legalization of all that crap. Let abusers make their own choices, it's not worth the price to pay to protect them from themselves. At the same time, it IS THEIR CHOICE. The taxpayers shouldn't pay "treatment" costs to tear them away for their own choices. Any more than the taxpayer should pay for gym memberships and personal trainers for fat people or e-cigs for smokers. You have freewill-use it.

The only possible exception I could see would be children that were part of a family that abused hard drugs. They deserve some help.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I agree with this. I don't want emergency services diverted away from victims of car accidents or strokes just so that people who CHOOSE to use drugs can be reckless with their own lives.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:

Quote:
Exactly right. Kudos to you for reasoning this out.
Seconded. People that can reason things out using logic instead of politics are rare in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies