Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
When you look at the list of states that contribute rather than draw from Federal coffers, "greed" is not the word that comes to my mind...
Every State takes more than they give. We wouldn't have trillion dollar deficits otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Mediocre compared to other states with lower taxes... Arizona, Utah, and Idaho come to mind. Roads, bridges, airports, and state government efficiency are all better in these states, despite less tax revenue compared to CA.

And I'm not the only person who feels this way....

2017’s States with the Best & Worst Taxpayer ROI

California Government: Inefficient Bureaucracy
I've been to every state you list, and I don't ever recall thinking or noticing how much better the roads are, and I have never traveled on any roads in California and been kept from getting where I want to go as a result of poor road conditions (unless of course caused by a landslide or something like that). Nevertheless, my son is a civil engineer in California and no doubt the poor rating California compared to many states can't be denied and makes good job security for him into the foreseeable future, if funds continue to go toward infrastructure as it already does.

In all fairness, however, we would really need to evaluate how much money is there to be had and/or spent on California infrastructure compared to other states hardly comparing in size or population. Right? Something like comparing the cost to maintain a high rise skyscraper versus a two bedroom home.

Lots more people too, yes of course, with a very large diverse population that includes immigrants and lots of people at the lower end of the economic ladder, while also many of the wealthiest people and companies in the world.

California has many BIG TICKET issues, concerns and burdens that lots of other states just don't have, certainly not to the same extent. Lots of "good, bad and ugly" unique to California that people from other states have a hard time understanding. Accordingly, what budget considerations and demands California must deal with varies significantly compared to states like Utah and Nevada (where we have relatives we visit often).

You're not the only person who compares "apples to oranges" like this when it comes to tax issues, but we're still far from making the sort of analysis that tells the real story about tax spending ROI California gets in these respects compared to other states and/or the country.

Take our public university system as one more example, compared to most other states. How do you/we measure ROI in terms of that public spending that competes with other public spending?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Quote:
California has many BIG TICKET issues, concerns and burdens that lots of other states just don't have
Such as?

I really don't know why you are trying to defend California's position when even some diehard liberals concede defeat on the issue. California's inefficient use of tax dollars and bloated bureaucracy is legendary... it's not even a political debate. The numbers speak for themselves when you look at tax dollar ROI rankings... California ranks 47 out of the 50 states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/state-taxp...i-report/3283/

Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Problem is only if/when taxes are not bringing a return with respect to how those revenues are spent, and this further analysis is at the heart of all tax collection and/or spending debate. Since you include no specifics along those lines, the right or wrong of any particular tax in California (or anywhere else for that matter) can't really be established.
and there in lies the problem with california. they spend far too much money on garbage programs. i realize there are things california has to spend money on, but they are also wasting a lot of money on programs that would be better off going away, like every other government in this country. and instead of eliminating the waste, california just increases taxes on everyone in the state, and then wonders why businesses and people are leaving.

california also tends to increase regulations, which makes it harder for businesses in california to operate. perhaps one day the people will get enough of the crap, and make teh government listen to them, and actually make things better again in california.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
The California Democrats are becoming so absurd, their actions read like an 'Onion' piece.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
The only reason California's onerous regulations/laws benefit me as a small business owner in the loss prevention field is that my job revolves around helping other businesses be compliant with said standards.

If California didn't have such a heavy-handed approach in this realm I would actually do real work all day long instead of basically getting paid to negotiate red tape for people who don't have the time/knowledge to do it themselves.

Almost sounds like I'm pro-government if you read that again. Almost.

I'd have no problem doing nuts and bolts loss prevention work like I did years ago...especially after 9-11 when business was at an all-time high.

Everyone has to adapt to their "silent business partner" (aka the government) as time goes by. Some businesses more than others...especially when this business partner can put you out of business or cage you on a whim.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Such as?

I really don't know why you are trying to defend California's position when even some diehard liberals concede defeat on the issue. California's inefficient use of tax dollars and bloated bureaucracy is legendary... it's not even a political debate. The numbers speak for themselves when you look at tax dollar ROI rankings... California ranks 47 out of the 50 states.

https://wallethub.com/edu/state-taxp...i-report/3283/
Thanks for the additional information that at least goes beyond the bumper-sticker opinions without much else to consider. Really...

I'm not trying to "defend California's position" although I have to admit to a bias toward the state I have always considered my first choice where to live (and where I have always lived outside of 4 years in Hawaii). I also have to admit I have raised a family here, enjoyed a good career and owned my own business here. I am certainly fortunate to have enjoyed much of what California has to offer without experiencing much in the way of negatives that less fortunate people need to contend with, most certainly including the many poor who also call California home.

I have also paid more in taxes than most people make for a living, and I am no different than anyone who would prefer to pay less in taxes as a general rule. I'm also no different than anyone who wants our tax dollars to be spent efficiently...

All that said, and I've also said this before, we would have to evaluate each tax and spend line item before being able to judge what should stay and what should go. ROI is an important starting point to consider where there is room for improvement, and again I'm no different than anyone who feels there is always room for improvement, but we are not all likely to agree what is important and what is not, where money is well spent and where not, to accomplish what goals and who should pay what tax rates to support those goals.

California may have a lower ROI than other states, not as good as Rhode Island for example, but there are other ways ROI can be measured for people living in any state that adds to the overall ROI picture that ultimately defines a person's quality of life -- overall ROI. If a state like California, for example, commits more money toward helping the needy, will that help or hurt tax payer ROI? This too depends on how you measure ROI.

I've considered these issues related to government spending every way possible, and when I have opportunity to vote in favor of what I think is this tax increase or not, I judge accordingly. No way do I support spending that isn't justified, but again, we'd have to get specific before I/we can judge what tax or spend line item is appropriate or not.

No, California is not necessarily best in any one category, but consider all categories and see a ranking of #23 in this list for example, and maybe all that California offers its citizens isn't as bad as lots of more conservative folks like to forever insist.

"Some states shine in health care. Some soar in education. Some excel in both – or in much more. The Best States ranking of U.S. states draws on thousands of data points to measure how well states are performing for their citizens. In addition to health care and education, the metrics take into account a state’s economy, the opportunity it offers people, its roads, bridges, internet and other infrastructure, its public safety and the integrity and health of state government."

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Still, lots of room for improvement here. Don't get me wrong. No argument there! But #23 out of 50 isn't all that bad either...

Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Leave it to California to tax a tax cut.
It just boggles the mind doesn't it? Is there something in the water?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It just boggles the mind doesn't it? Is there something in the water?
Just recently, unfortunately yes...

"Eight beaches were reopened Monday after nearly 5 million gallons of sewage spilled into Monterey Bay over the weekend. But Monterey County officials were posting warning advisories about looming rain that could trigger new pollution issues."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...470439723.html

Hey, but regulations and monitoring that helps protect the environment costs money and that's not always so easy to measure in terms of ROI when sheet constantly happens anyway. Looky there! More spending we can cut! Around the Bay, however, most people place a certain value on such protections/spending that others can't really understand. They'd rather let Trump have his way and muck things up even better with more off-shore drilling to help improve that ROI to acceptable levels!

Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Just recently, unfortunately yes...

"Eight beaches were reopened Monday after nearly 5 million gallons of sewage spilled into Monterey Bay over the weekend. But Monterey County officials were posting warning advisories about looming rain that could trigger new pollution issues."

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...470439723.html

Hey, but regulations and monitoring that helps protect the environment costs money and that's not always so easy to measure in terms of ROI when sheet constantly happens anyway. Looky there! More spending we can cut! Around the Bay, however, most people place a certain value on such protections/spending that others can't really understand. They'd rather let Trump have his way and muck things up even better with more off-shore drilling to help improve that ROI to acceptable levels!
Nobody, especially not Trump is advocating for removing regulations that actually do something positive for the environment. We are removing needless regulation that are unreasonably restrictive, and hurt the economy, and job creation.

But the left always argues in the extreme say Republicans want dirty air, and dirty water. That is a pure lie. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies