Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your attitude toward sex robots? (This a multiple-choice anonymous poll)
I hope that sex with robots is seen, overall, as a sort of shameful perversion. 9 8.74%
I hope sex with robots is seen, overall, a just another form of sexual diversity; ideally there should be no bad stigma. 45 43.69%
Ideally, I would love to see legislation making sex robots illegal. 2 1.94%
I don't think sex robots will have an significant impact on society. 29 28.16%
I think that sex robots will soon generate a flurry of debates and will have major social impact. 15 14.56%
I have no interest in the technology, or in any debates generated by it. 20 19.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:19 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,033 times

Advertisements

I'd give it a shot. I've been doing the robot for years.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
I find these dolls exceedingly creepy.

However, it is not my business to tell others what to do with their bodies as long as they are not hurting anyone else. I think these dolls should be regulated for safety purposes and age appropriate sales. Otherwise, none of my business.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:28 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I have no doubt that they way some people would use them is alarming, but the fact that they exist? Not so much, at least to me. Then again, I never have claimed to speak for all feminists.
Does it matter though?

They are not sentient.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:39 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,734,181 times
No more sexual harassment problems well unless the robot has artificial intelligence. We could program the robot but they always turn against us in the end.
Wonder if it will be legal?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:06 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Does it matter though?

They are not sentient.
Some of them can be programmed to resist the advances of their users, and I can see why that would disturb some people. I mean, we worry about video games desensitizing people to violence, wouldn't a "rape robot" kind of do the same thing, in the hands of the wrong person? I'm not really sure, but I can understand the concern.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:18 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Some of them can be programmed to resist the advances of their users, and I can see why that would disturb some people. I mean, we worry about video games desensitizing people to violence, wouldn't a "rape robot" kind of do the same thing, in the hands of the wrong person? I'm not really sure, but I can understand the concern.
I agree with Aristotle who argued that we learn to live morally by exercising moral behavior. This is why parents and other adults have to model good behavior for children, and why they have to insist that children behave properly (i.e., with compassion, fairness, etc.). Basically, according to Aristotle, we have learn by doing. Personally, I suspect there is nothing therapeutic, or morally uplifting about spending hours navigating a first-person-shooter through a VR world killing hundreds of other human-like characters. I don't think I would ever allow my kids to play that kind of game. I can't realistically stop everyone from playing such games, but I can make an effort to point out the potential problems.

Along the same lines, I would never advocate the use of humanoid robots for the purpose of rape or vicious destruction. Yeah, robots are not sentient, but the humanoid form make the exercise potentially harmful to society if it serve to reinforce attitudes and behaviors that would be harmful if applied to humans or animals. If someone needs to vent some aggression, they should vent it on objects that are clearly inanimate, such as punching bags or pillows. Again, I can't realistically stop people from raping sexbots, but I can point out potential problems and suggest alternatives.

On a different note: I think there could be some potential therapeutic and/or moral training value in practicing good ethical behavior toward robots. If moral behavior is like a "muscle" that can be strengthened through repetitive use, then "exercising" your morality on a robot could be good for society.

And on a completely different side-note: Sexbots might also serve a "training" function for sex skills. Some people could benefit from "Oral Sex 101," for example.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:27 PM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
For people who have arthritis ?
O-care would probably pick up the tab

Old 01-26-2018, 03:50 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I am not for it, Galenwoof. It is just to creepy. Blow up sex dolls are creepy, but this is real creepy.
What mind set of a person would have sex with a robot?
I agree, it kills humanity.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:52 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
I agree, it kills humanity.[/quote]

Old 01-26-2018, 05:56 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I agree, it kills humanity.
I'd be interested to hear, more specifically, what you foresee happening, due to sexbots. Is the thread from sexbots tangible enough, and serious enough, to warrant making them illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies