Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I didn't want some Chinese crap that would break the week after it was installed.
Oh just stop it already.

Where is your cellphone made? Or is that just Chinese crap too?

Solar panels are semiconductors and practically all semiconductors are made overseas now. Every piece of electronics you own has chips from Asia, and I don't hear you complaining about that. The fact is, China and other Asian rim companies are years ahead in Solar manufacturing and it will take the US many years to catch up. LG panels for example have a 25 output guarantee. Yes, not only are they guaranteed to work for 25 years but the actually watt output of the panel is guaranteed. Does your US made panel have that? LG panels are over a buck a watt, and not cheap. But they're one of the best in the industry right now. And they're not alone. There are tons of decent Asian solar panel companies. US manufacturers comprise maybe 5% of the market right now, tops. With that tiny volume, I doubt they have the consistency and quality that the huge Asian firms have.

Not that I'm knocking buying American. But I'm not aware that they're there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
"The Solar Energy Industries Association predicted"

What is their record of previous predictions?

It goes to if we should believe them or not.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
America got by just fine with no federal income tax for nearly 150 years. Imagine that. All the while, we had great cities, infrastructure, hospitals, fire departments, police, a military, etc and so forth.

The goal for taxation should be that it be as small as possible. But communists are thieves, so for them its to make it 100%. No private property.

Oh''' so you are still lusting for the era when Slave Labor gave the basis of wealth creation to America through the acts of abuse and vile of every sort against others to feed the lusting of a few.
Maybe you should still be thanking every black person you see, for the labor that was tortuously extracted from their ancestry to have made that past you so joyously talk about... and while you are thanking.. Thank all the Immigrants from the various localities that were abused and used, under the guise of apprenticeships and indentured servants. Then get on a mission and seek out every American Indian, and ask them for forgiveness for all the death and torture they suffered.

Then realize in a NON SLAVE society, the cost of maintaining a nation must be met with taxation, and pay the tax and move along .... because slavery is not returning, and people are no longer coming here as indentured servants, and people are not going to stand for their kids to be turned into slave like beings under the guise of apprentices.

Why not even go ask ones own ancestors if in their state of serfdom, peasant and peon status, how much tax they paid.... heck they likely ran for not wanting to pay taxes, because they may well have thought they should have everything free.

If one wants smaller taxes, stop using the roadways, don't walk on the side walk, and see if you can plug up all the drainage systems and dispense with the sewer systems, and by all means just dismantle America... and what one would look like is... one would look like an ISIS member with an aim to destroy everything.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:11 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Oh just stop it already.

Where is your cellphone made? Or is that just Chinese crap too?

Solar panels are semiconductors and practically all semiconductors are made overseas now. Every piece of electronics you own has chips from Asia, and I don't hear you complaining about that. The fact is, China and other Asian rim companies are years ahead in Solar manufacturing and it will take the US many years to catch up. LG panels for example have a 25 output guarantee. Yes, not only are they guaranteed to work for 25 years but the actually watt output of the panel is guaranteed. Does your US made panel have that? LG panels are over a buck a watt, and not cheap. But they're one of the best in the industry right now. And they're not alone. There are tons of decent Asian solar panel companies. US manufacturers comprise maybe 5% of the market right now, tops. With that tiny volume, I doubt they have the consistency and quality that the huge Asian firms have.

Not that I'm knocking buying American. But I'm not aware that they're there yet.
It's Chinese crap that breaks....I've had to repair it several times. I'm happy Apple is bringing manufacturing back to the US so we'll get better quality.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
China is not a country run by divided politicians, they have a singular long term focus on making their country dominant. They are willing to take short term losses for long term benefits decades down the road. If we continue down this path of allowing China to engage in state backed monopolistic practices this country is doomed.

Furthermore anybody that expects US companies to have to operate under environmental laws here in the US and will turn a blind eye to issue in China so they can get cheap goods is nothing but a giant hypocrite.
Don't buy into the propaganda. Semiconductor plants even solar cell ones are clean places with little waste. Used to be involved in running one. You simply do not allow anything other than spotlessly clean.

They can perhaps get away with a little more on handling gases and noxious materials but again the basic requirements of the process will mostly keep it clean. There is not a whole lot of waste from the process and much will be recycled or vented to the atmosphere. But again you don't waste the expensive pure materials.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:14 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
It's Chinese crap that breaks....I've had to repair it several times. I'm happy Apple is bringing manufacturing back to the US so we'll get better quality.
So what manufacturer panel did you go with, and what's the warranty?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
So what manufacturer panel did you go with, and what's the warranty?
Don't recall the manufacturer name but they were a Washington state company....they were installed 4+ years ago and have been flawless and have exceeded the projected output.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
That is of course nonsense. You simply don't make bad semiconductor chips. It is a precise art and utterly unforgiving. Badly made semiconductors simply do not work.

All that I have heard of Apples problems appear to belong to Apple. Off hand the only thing involved you could screw up in manufacturing might be the battery.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is of course nonsense. You simply don't make bad semiconductor chips. It is a precise art and utterly unforgiving. Badly made semiconductors simply do not work.

All that I have heard of Apples problems appear to belong to Apple. Off hand the only thing involved you could screw up in manufacturing might be the battery.
Nonsense....the chips were damaged when my grandson dropped the phone.

I worked in China for an engineering consultancy, the Chinese haven't yet developed a quality culture for their products.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I don't believe that. Utilities may well be able to get close to $0.50 per watt for panels but normal buyers will be hard pressed to get $0.75 and for small quantity a dollar.

Installed system on roof will run around $3,25 per watt if you get a good deal.

Utilities can do it for less than half that.
Wasn't talking about paying the solar company weasels to put solar on your roof, I was talking about the cost of the panels themselves, which you can buy for well under 50 cents per watt, right now. You're saying a good deal is paying 6x as much as panels for installation, and I disagree with that. It might be a good deal in the realm of overpriced solar company installations. But that's a bit like saying "I got a great deal on my timeshare." No you didn't. Just trust me, you did not get a good deal on a timeshare, and in the same way you don't get a good deal on solar company jobs.

I don't need to hire someone to put solar panels up. Its not very challenging. I would hire an electrician to wire up the inverter/main panel connection since he has a license and knows how to pass inspections, and I don't. So that's relatively inexpensive, and once you cut out the high-priced middleman, you are good to go.

Many people aren't handy enough to even put solar panels on their roof, and for those people, I would suggest, fine...so don't. You have two options in that case.

1. Hire the solar company and get fleeced
2. Be your own contractor. Hire some locals (handyman guys, a moonlighting roofer, a moonlighting electrician, whatever), and just pay them their prevailing daily wage. You'll STILL save a ton of money over option 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies