Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:29 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,165,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
After this tariff, how many jobs will be lost in the US?
Industry source estimates 23,000. Major error on Trump's part, no wonder so many of his businesses failed. Let's think about it. What creates more jobs?

a. Making solar panels
b. Installing solar panels

The obvious answer is b. It takes more human effort per panel to put them on roofs than it does to run a factory. Even if the tariff is successful in getting a new solar panel factory built here, a modern automated and robotic factory is not going to need 23,000 employees. My guess is no more than 1,000. Economically the choice is obvious, we are better off letting China sell us cheap panels and keep the installers employed. Trump made a terrible choice, trading away 23,000 jobs to get 1,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:54 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
From The Guardian:

Quote:
The Solar Energy Industries Association said 23,000 jobs would be lost in 2018, pointing out that most solar manufacturing in the US revolves around making parts for cheaper imported panels, rather than the cells and panels themselves.

The installation of panels accounts for around 130,000 further jobs.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...s-solar-panels

Old 01-23-2018, 11:11 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Listen to Gary Cohn explain how this works at the press briefing 1/23/18. He and McMaster were taking questions from the presstitutes and this was one topic. Common sense and fair trade rule the day.

Briefing

Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Oh''' so you are still lusting for the era when Slave Labor gave the basis of wealth creation to America through the acts of abuse and vile of every sort against others to feed the lusting of a few.
Maybe you should still be thanking every black person you see, for the labor that was tortuously extracted from their ancestry to have made that past you so joyously talk about... and while you are thanking.. Thank all the Immigrants from the various localities that were abused and used, under the guise of apprenticeships and indentured servants. Then get on a mission and seek out every American Indian, and ask them for forgiveness for all the death and torture they suffered.

Then realize in a NON SLAVE society, the cost of maintaining a nation must be met with taxation, and pay the tax and move along .... because slavery is not returning, and people are no longer coming here as indentured servants, and people are not going to stand for their kids to be turned into slave like beings under the guise of apprentices.

Why not even go ask ones own ancestors if in their state of serfdom, peasant and peon status, how much tax they paid.... heck they likely ran for not wanting to pay taxes, because they may well have thought they should have everything free.

If one wants smaller taxes, stop using the roadways, don't walk on the side walk, and see if you can plug up all the drainage systems and dispense with the sewer systems, and by all means just dismantle America... and what one would look like is... one would look like an ISIS member with an aim to destroy everything.
"Oh''' so you are still lusting for the era when Slave Labor gave the basis of wealth creation to America through the acts of abuse and vile of every sort against others to feed the lusting of a few."

Weren't a LOT of Chinese in "slave Labor" used in building the railway systems out west?

Old 01-24-2018, 06:21 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Don't buy into the propaganda. Semiconductor plants even solar cell ones are clean places with little waste.
That may very well be true, it's not something I have researched or have knowledge of but there is much more involved with this than just the manufacturing plant. Whether it's the mineral extraction causing local damage or the huge amount of mercury coming from their coal plants causing global issues that are powering those manufacturing facilities it's a concern for everyone.

The poster I was replying to has no concerns about this in China and I'm guessing their views are completely different about US industries. Supporting the Chinese in destroying the environment just so they can get a cheaper product is being a hypocrite.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I worked in China for an engineering consultancy, the Chinese haven't yet developed a quality culture for their products.
There is a tool liquidation place near me, it's all crap but I'll buy cheap tools for some things. They had a pair of medium sized wire cutters for $2, they looked fine with some nice rubber grips etc. I bought them figuring I can use them for stuff like cutting small nails where the tool was going to be abused so I didn't have to use my expensive wire cutters for it.

They wouldn't cut a phone line.... LOL... I looked and they had never sharpened the cutting edge.

That said i would not fall into the trap of thinking the Chinese cannot make quality products.They sell cheap junk to the US because that is what the majority of US consumers buy.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry dropping a phone does not damage the chips.
Solder points.... I have a LG TV that all of sudden stopped working after about 5 years. Baked the motherboard for about 10 minutes on 375 degrees and abracadabra it started working.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Buy American. Jobs get "shifted" all the time. Solar panel installers will find new sources. That's normal.

We should look out for ourselves and produce as much as we can here for security reasons.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:58 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
Dumping should be punished whether it's dumping steel, aluminium, or solar panels.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Industry source estimates 23,000. Major error on Trump's part, no wonder so many of his businesses failed. Let's think about it. What creates more jobs?

a. Making solar panels
b. Installing solar panels

The obvious answer is b. It takes more human effort per panel to put them on roofs than it does to run a factory. Even if the tariff is successful in getting a new solar panel factory built here, a modern automated and robotic factory is not going to need 23,000 employees. My guess is no more than 1,000. Economically the choice is obvious, we are better off letting China sell us cheap panels and keep the installers employed. Trump made a terrible choice, trading away 23,000 jobs to get 1,000.
Well the right wants to do away with solar. So this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies