U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM

22,769 posts, read 29,322,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Agree but I blame immigration flooding our cities and suburbs. And foreigners buying up property.
LAND prices have skyrocketed all across the world -- Britain, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands -- you name it.

it's almost as if, when you start handing out mortgages more frequently, it drives up the price of the things ppl normally buy with those mortgages. It's almost as if politicians were intentionally inflating the housing markets for one-off economic gains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM

5,889 posts, read 2,892,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Fake conservatives on here wanting to deport legal immigrants because they can't afford a home. Stalin looking proud onto them.
Legal immigrants doesn't mean anything. Did the people approve them coming in?

Who would approve all these mainland China commies laundering their filthy lucre in American real estate?

The American people don't want that.

And then you have some nerve comparing us to Stalin. We're not the commies, dude.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:29 PM

9,517 posts, read 4,603,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The reasons are two-fold:

2.) Allow more land development. With the Enemies of Progress Association (EPA) blocking so much development and the government illegally nationalizing land, we have huge sections of our country undeveloped. We need to throw this "climate change" BS out the window and start developing land. That will bring the cost of housing down.
No. Use the land we have now more efficiently. Denser population centers, high rise apartments. We can build office buildings 100s of stories high we can do the same thing with apartment complexes.

I don't know if mankind is causing anything like climate change but I do know that there is almost 7 billion people on this planet. We don't have another place to go to. This is our home, don't chit in the place you live.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM

8,458 posts, read 4,332,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
No. Use the land we have now more efficiently. Denser population centers, high rise apartments. We can build office buildings 100s of stories high we can do the same thing with apartment complexes.

I don't know if mankind is causing anything like climate change but I do know that there is almost 7 billion people on this planet. We don't have another place to go to. This is our home, don't chit in the place you live.
No go right there. Many people hate living in big cities. Making them bigger won't make them any more appealing to those people.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 9,202,019 times
Property taxes are tge main reason for high housing and rent costs in my state.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 8,539,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Legal immigrants doesn't mean anything. Did the people approve them coming in?

Who would approve all these mainland China commies laundering their filthy lucre in American real estate?

The American people don't want that.

And then you have some nerve comparing us to Stalin. We're not the commies, dude.

You guys are not Americans either. American values is the exact opposite of what you're sprouting here. So maybe you should also make yourself disappear to whatever fascist country you came from?

And you are the only person I have ever encountered described Cupertino as "ruined". I know many many neighborhoods who'd love to be as "ruined" as Cupertino.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:21 PM

5,771 posts, read 2,830,489 times
Naw, we should clear out rural america and turn it back to wilderness.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:22 PM

22,769 posts, read 29,322,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Property taxes are tge main reason for high housing and rent costs in my state.
lol that doesn't make any sense

property taxes increase the carrying costs of a house, which leaves less money buyers have available to spend on mortgage principle, thus driving home costs down.

typically when you tax an investment its value falls, not rises. housing is no different. Jersey has high housing prices because the NYC area has a lot of wealthy households.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:42 PM

21,263 posts, read 15,217,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The reasons are two-fold:

1.) The jobs are being killed (and I believe deliberately by both Big Government and Big Business) in rural areas, forcing everyone into more cramped cities. As a result, the price of land, housing, etc, all go up due to all the competition. Finding a way to stay decently employed (without having to resort to selling meth, etc) in rural areas would alleviate that.

2.) Allow more land development. With the Enemies of Progress Association (EPA) blocking so much development and the government illegally nationalizing land, we have huge sections of our country undeveloped. We need to throw this "climate change" BS out the window and start developing land. That will bring the cost of housing down.
Actually it's an easy fix. It's a job for the last administration, though. Just mandate that everyone buy a house. Problem solved.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM

5,009 posts, read 5,029,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
typically when you tax an investment its value falls, not rises. housing is no different. Jersey has high housing prices because the NYC area has a lot of wealthy households.
It is also cheap compared to NYC proper.

I don't know why OP is worrying about foreigners buying up properties. Even in Manhattan, where properties are bought by Saudi sheiks, Russian oligarchs, and Chinese party members, they don't effect overall property values at all and represent something like ~1% of new construction sales.

There are also plenty of areas in the country where housing is cheap. You can buy a house for $15k in Youngstown. The problem is... people don't want to live there. Its supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies