Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

If a person/couple can't afford to properly care for pets or children, they shouldn't have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Nope. If you cannot afford to feed a pet, you don't need a pet.

It pains me to see people who I know are really broke and who have always been broke, with several dogs and spending money that could feed their families on dog food.

Come on... get some goldfish or something if you must, but a dog costs a lot to feed.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Pets are expensive. If you cannot afford to feed and care for a pet you don't need to have one. Pets are a want, not a need. It sounds so horrible but it's true.

Many people want the best food they can get for their pets which that can easily run $55 for a 25lb bag. I do not think that taxpayers should have to foot the bill to feed people's pets too.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:14 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Only an animal lover would understand, they become our children.
And that's taking it way too far. I have a cat, and she is considered my companion, not my child.

In a legal sense, pets are property, just like your car and your house. And like cars, houses, and other property that requires care and upkeep, if you can't afford the associated costs, you don't get one.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If they don't allow the stamps to buy kibble, people will just use them to buy what they can. such as meat & canned tuna to feed the animals. I know if I was in such a desperate situation, I would feed the pets & try to also feed myself, but they would not go hungry. I love them.
Kibble is garbage food anyway. A balanced meat-based diet is better for cats and dogs, both of which are carnivores, with cats being obligate carnivores.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The real cost of responsible pet ownership is vet and healthcare of the animal, not just the food. If people are allowed to buy people food totally without any nutritional value like potato chips, popsicles, cookies and soda, they might as well be buying pet food.
The pet food they would be buying wouldn't have any nutritional value either. Meow Mix, for example, lists its #1 ingredient as yellow corn - for an obligate carnivores that derives absolutely NO nutritional value from plant-based ingredients or plant-based protein sources.

So after they've lined up for cheap pet food using food stamps, how do they expect to pay the vet when that crap food causes health issues?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'd be willing to compromise. No more potato chips and candy in exchange for bags of dry dog/cat food.
Dry food is no different than chips and candy. And is about as healthy.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
People who can't afford to have pets or kids shouldn't expect others to pay for their lifestyle choices.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
in my opinion it is a sick society that would put animal welfare before humans...........
My pets are more important to me than a stranger.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
There's so many pets who need homes. I don't see why it's a bad thing to assist low income people to be able to home the pets.
There's already tons being spent on shelters, so use the money to give them homes.
And what's next, though? Vet bills are expensive, and Care Credit only goes so far, and you have to make every single payment if you go that route. Most vets don't extend credit either, because they've been taken advantage of too many times. Mine doesn't, I have to pay in full at the time of the appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies