Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Do You Side With NFL: Players kneeling is free speech; Veterans requesting players to stand is
NFL Denial Based On The Grounds The Ad Is Political 7 6.80%
Veterans Right For The Ad 81 78.64%
other 12 11.65%
not sure 3 2.91%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 03:44 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'm one of the veterans. I don't feel particularly 'insulted' by folk kneeling/otherwise not standing for the flag. On the list of veteran concerns I have (y'know, like mental health care, homelessness, stuff like that), somebody not standing for the flag is way down on the list of Things I Give A Flip About.

But anybody who says they should be *made* to stand will get my ire up, and likely have me kneeling just to show I can if I want to.

Thanks for such an honest and sobering post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
I'm one of the veterans. I don't feel particularly 'insulted' by folk kneeling/otherwise not standing for the flag. On the list of veteran concerns I have (y'know, like mental health care, homelessness, stuff like that), somebody not standing for the flag is way down on the list of Things I Give A Flip About.

But anybody who says they should be *made* to stand will get my ire up, and likely have me kneeling just to show I can if I want to.
Spouse is retired military. Over the holidays, son-in-law made a crack about NFL players dishonoring veterans by kneeling. He turned to my husband, expecting him to agree with him.

My usually quiet husband said that whether football players kneeled, stood, or laid flat on the ground was no concern of his, but that he had put his life on the line for years and lost some good buddies so they had that right. Bullying people into standing may happen in Russia but it shouldn't be happening here. Then he asked when was son-in-law enlisting since he was such patriot.

There was a gulp followed by a silence.

I asked if anyone wanted more mashed potatoes and we didn't return to the subject.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:57 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Speaking of dishonoring veterans.

Being rude to Gold Star families and belittling POWs comes under that heading.

Exercising the rights that soldiers fought and died for is honoring their memory.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
There was literally a #veteransforKaepernick. This is a dumb question, because it was never about being against vets.

Veterans take a knee in support of national anthem protests - ABC News

Old 01-23-2018, 03:59 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Spouse is retired military. Over the holidays, son-in-law made a crack about NFL players dishonoring veterans by kneeling. He turned to my husband, expecting him to agree with him.

My usually quiet husband said that whether football players kneeled, stood, or laid flat on the ground was no concern of his, but that he had put his life on the line for years and lost some good buddies so they had that right. Bullying people into standing may happen in Russia but it shouldn't be happening here. Then he asked when was son-in-law enlisting since he was such patriot.

There was a gulp followed by a silence.

I asked if anyone wanted more mashed potatoes and we didn't return to the subject.

I love this so hard. (Can I come over? )

Old 01-23-2018, 04:05 PM

93 posts, read 95,961 times
Quote:

This is the way my veteran husband feels too. This issue is a distraction to get the ‘patriots’ (the ones who love to spout their support but don’t actually do anything for vets) all riled up.

Want to support vets? Demand counseling for PTSD. Support organizations that help them. Volunteer at a homeless shelter or VA. Don’t denigrate their service (cough, cough, trump).

Old 01-23-2018, 04:06 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The veterans.

Protesting by kneeling during the anthem was a poor way of saying that you aren't against the troops
The anthem has nothing to do with the troops, and kneeling during the anthem likewise has nothing to do with the troops.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Where were the conservatives standing up to protect our flag and veterans when Tea Party idiots were flying flags upside down because a black man became President?
I don't remember the Flag being flown upside down (I took a vacation from all Media Politics for 6 of the 8 years of Obama's term), but if the Tea Party did this, they were wrong in doing so.

But why play the race card? Tea Party people (& any economic conservative) would be (& are) Anti Obama for SIX different reasons. ( & his race had nothing to do with it).

The Dude breathtakingly took the National debt from 9 Trillion to 19 Trillion in just 8 years. (While the Media fawned & wore out knee pads in his presence). I'll hate his guts until I die. My son will hate his guts until HE dies (& he's only 18 y/o).

But flying the Flag upside down is wrong, they shouldn't have done that.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:18 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Vietnam Vet View Post

NFL: Players kneeling is free speech; Veterans requesting players to stand is political

Campos-Duffy: NFL Will 'Pay a Price' for Rejecting Veterans Group's #PleaseStand Ad | Fox News Insider
Still trying to keep this issues going with only one game left to be played. In case you haven't noticed, life have moved on and nobody anywhere is talking about this anymore , except on here. The Super Bowl will be played in the coming weeks, and hundreds of millions of people around the globe will be watching. And you will have people watching, who don't know anything about the game, but they want to see the commercials. And there will be Super Bowl parties all across the country in every state. Then the season is over until next fall, what will you be talking about until then. And for the record, I'm a veteran also, I served a year in the lraq war back in 2003, serving on the front line.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 PM

63 posts, read 48,886 times
Some people have posted that the veterans group is trying to make the players stand. From the start this veterans group have been "requesting." No where does it say that these veterans were demanding the players stand. Why people are trying to change the news is a big problem of today. The veterans were REQUESTING...

This is free speech from the veterans. Just like the players have their free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies