Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,867,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Visitors to the US has been on a downward trend since the recession and if you're insinuating that Trump is bad for economy I'm not sure that's a hill you want to die on.
Actually, if you look at the graphic on the link I posted above, the number of tourists to the U.S trended down in 2008, but then started increase in 2009, and continued upwards until 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 12:48 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
It's mostly Trump since the smart people from overseas can sense that he doesn't like people who are not lilly white. That tends to cut down on the universe of potential visitors...they will go somewhere else like Dubai where the Muslims treat them like human beings.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:51 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes--it all balances out in the end. For every job Trump creates, he destroys one.

It's not just Trump--they don't like our gun violence either.

"...In response to a Facebook post by The New York Times, European readers overwhelmingly cited the Trump administration and its policies as reasons for avoiding or canceling trips to the United States.

Others cited violence and safety. Marika Treichel, who lives in Denmark, wrote, “I have always dreamed of visiting the US. But the rise of gun violence and political chaos has made me want to cancel all future travels to the U.S. until I can feel safe as a tourist...”

http://time.com/money/4949570/trump-...ne-us-economy/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/t...48D6EF&gwt=pay

Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
One need only visit SE Asia to see why.

Many new vibrant cities and open countries with fantastic old temples and natural wonders entice tourists away.

Further, America itself with expensive visa policies that require many to pay a $160 just to apply to come to US as a tourist is a deterrent. It took me two trips to Manila and days of forms to get a visa for my Filipino boyfriend. My total investment to take him to USA was over $1000 and that was before the actual travel costs.

If I wanted to take him to Singapore the ASEAN agreement between countries permitted a 30 day visit with no visa fee whatsoever.

There is the threat of the US health care industry to worry about. Medical travel insurance for visit the USA is double the cost of other countries.

Finally, we here people like Trump claim that American cities are nothing but a crime wave filled full of addicts.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's mostly Trump since the smart people from overseas can sense that he doesn't like people who are not lilly white. That tends to cut down on the universe of potential visitors...they will go somewhere else like Dubai where the Muslims treat them like human beings.

Interesting, have you talked with many foreigners about this ? I admit, I haven't, only a small number. England, Grand Cayman, and Iraq. All are huge fans of Trump. And I'm sure you will say they are morons, but several are successful business owners.

As far as your Dubai thing, yes beautiful country but you better be good with a dress code , better not have any over the counter prescriptions and if so need a doctors note , don't even think of dancing in public (that is reserved for allowed places), and if you are gay, you might just want to avoid Dubai since it is a criminal offense. But by all means go there.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
International tourist aren't the type to get scared over politics when visiting a foreign country... just typical media scare tactics.... U.S tourism rates (domestic and international) are mostly very high but stagnate... no significant upward or downward trend and its hilarious to think that a whopping 4 percent decline in travel in the beginning of winter is such a surprise and of course "ITS BECAUSE OF TRUMP!"

Old 01-24-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting, have you talked with many foreigners about this ? I admit, I haven't, only a small number. England, Grand Cayman, and Iraq. All are huge fans of Trump. And I'm sure you will say they are morons, but several are successful business owners.

As far as your Dubai thing, yes beautiful country but you better be good with a dress code , better not have any over the counter prescriptions and if so need a doctors note , don't even think of dancing in public (that is reserved for allowed places), and if you are gay, you might just want to avoid Dubai since it is a criminal offense. But by all means go there.
No international visitor to the U.S that i know care about politics in the first place, these are the type of people who venture all over the world and go to very far off places so they arent exactly scared about someone like Trump.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:31 PM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No international visitor to the U.S that i know care about politics in the first place, these are the type of people who venture all over the world and go to very far off places so they arent exactly scared about someone like Trump.

Well the person from England and the people from Iraq are expats. The guy in Grand Cayman was just someone we met, who started the conversation about politics.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:33 PM

13,657 posts, read 9,720,920 times
Nah, the premise of this entire thread is misplaced. We all know the real truth: it's Obama's fault!

Old 01-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
One need only visit SE Asia to see why.

Many new vibrant cities and open countries with fantastic old temples and natural wonders entice tourists away.

Further, America itself with expensive visa policies that require many to pay a $160 just to apply to come to US as a tourist is a deterrent. It took me two trips to Manila and days of forms to get a visa for my Filipino boyfriend. My total investment to take him to USA was over $1000 and that was before the actual travel costs.

If I wanted to take him to Singapore the ASEAN agreement between countries permitted a 30 day visit with no visa fee whatsoever.

There is the threat of the US health care industry to worry about. Medical travel insurance for visit the USA is double the cost of other countries.

Finally, we here people like Trump claim that American cities are nothing but a crime wave filled full of addicts.
If someone is scared of Trump i wouldn't advise them to go to The Philippines under Rodrigo Duterte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies