Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should servers in areas where they make the full minimum wage get tipped less?
They should be tipped the same 15-20% 31 46.97%
They should be tipped less 13 19.70%
They don't have to be tipped at all 22 33.33%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times

Advertisements

Having worked in the food industry in my younger years, I can say that at no point have I considered how much someone is paid hourly before adding a tip for service. If the service is poor, I'll either not tip or tip such a negligible amount that they realize they didn't do their job. If the service is fantastic, I'll tip extremely well - sometimes up to half the bill if they truly excel. In general, though, I tip double whatever the tax is.

I used to work with a guy who would walk in with a stack of $1 bills and put them on the table, then tell the waiter "This is your potential tip. Every time my coffee cup stays empty for more than 2 minutes, I take a dollar back." He was a bit of a jackass, but he always had fresh coffee in restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 12:44 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I don't care about getting "better service". As long as I get the food I ordered I will pay the menu price. I shouldn't have to pay some server to carry it from the kitchen to my table. That is already part of the menu price. Tipping needs to go away. I has nothing to do with being able to "afford eating out". My parents have never tipped more than $2 when they eat out. I am now thinking of the thousands of dollars they have saved over their lifetime.
Yes, tipping is an outdated American system of bribery. You get a waiter who is groveling for a handout. They should all make at least the minimum wage. A customer paying the menu price does not want great service. Only the service that is being paid for that is included in the menu price. Simply deliver the food from the kitchen and get on with it.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree, and tip jars seem to be popping up everywhere for simple service. The guy handing you a pizza that you pick up has a tip jar, as do the people who make your sub at Subway. These people are all making at least minimum wage, and getting paid to provide a service.
Also, if businesses are having to pay minimum wage to waiters/bartenders, that means prices to consumers will be going up, so I will not be giving 15% of a higher bill to someone making more money.

Needless to say the whole idea of tipping is based on the servers not making minimum wage, and going above and beyond to provide excellent service. No way I would routinely tip them the same if they start receiving more money in their base pay.

`
No Kidding!!!!! When I go to the coffee roaster to pick up my 2 bags of unground beans every 2 weeks they expect a tip just to take my money and watch me walk out the door.

I do tip servers and bar tenders 15 - 20% usually. I tip a little extra if I know them from previous visits and they have been really good servers. There used to be a Russian bartender at the Bonefish Grill I went to about once a month. He told the funniest jokes, knew the latest gossip and always remembered what I drank. His tip was nice.
I also went to a restaurant with a server who was more interested in sneaking out back for a smoke than serving and who could not be bothered to remember to bring our drinks. Her tip was not so nice.

Last edited by grampaTom; 01-30-2018 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 09:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I think this is a relatively new trend being discussed as several states have radically increased the minimum wage and made it apply to restaurants too. I think 20% was also the norm in Oregon until the state gave servers a high minimum wage after which people stopped tipping as generously.

Again I was told that 10% is considered a good tip in Oregon and Washington State and someone like a taxi driver, pizza deliveryman or hotel bellhop probably doesn't need to be tipped at all after the new wage increases. Also shows that when liberals and Democrats enact their radical policies people do find ways to get past them.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Regardless of how much they are paid, we always tip 20%.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:23 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,725,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I remember going out to dinner with a friend who had just moved here to the South from Oregon and when I tipped 20% on my portion he commented that I was super generous. Seeing my confusion he told me that 10% is considered a very generous tip in Oregon. Then come to find out he told he that in Oregon and Washington State, servers make the state minimum wage regardless of tips, while in most states, they have a lower minimum wage (like $2 or $3 an hour) with the assumption that the difference will be made up in tips. While in Oregon and other such places the extra cost is already reflected in the price of the food/drinks. Now my friend IS a Republican from rural Oregon.

So if servers/bartenders get the regular wage, should they be tipped less??? Honestly if my state increases the minimum wage in that way (I don't see that happening in Louisiana) I'll also probably start tipping 10%.....
Servers get tipped too much. 10-15% was once considered normal. Then, customers were led to believ3 that 15-20% is normal.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Tipping culture is getting ridiculous, especially with the proliferation of Ipad style card processing terminals that prompt you to add a tip for mere counter service. I see that a lot. Pay your counter people so I'm not tipping on coffee or food that I need to walk to a counter to order. Tipping is a full service convention. Prompting me to tip at a counter is ultra-douchy.

At the same time, you have (usually more expensive) restaurants moving to a non-tipping structure.

I dislike the tipping culture, but not from the perspective of a customer. I dislike it from the perspective of a former server. Serving food is hard work, and its antithetical to the minimum wage concept to pay below it and expect it to be made up in tips that don't always come. Servers should probably be paid above minimum wage and tipping eliminated. That would make the job much more stable for servers, and the customer experience more predictable. The only people served by the tipping culture are restaurant owners. They need to build the server salaries into food prices and be done with it.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Why should they only get minimum wage?
why did they accept a job that pays minimum wage?

if they want more, they need to negotiate a higher pay or find another job

Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Servers get tipped too much. 10-15% was once considered normal. Then, customers were led to believ3 that 15-20% is normal.
Yeah and the prices your tipping on are so high. Then they add sales tax and 20% expected tip becomes 22%. Who has that kind of profit margin? I don't mind tipping around 15% with the assumption the server is being paid less than minimum wage and the prices reflects that (which it doesn't really). If the server was getting mw I think 10% tip would be fine.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Yes, tipping is an outdated American system of bribery. You get a waiter who is groveling for a handout. They should all make at least the minimum wage. A customer paying the menu price does not want great service. Only the service that is being paid for that is included in the menu price. Simply deliver the food from the kitchen and get on with it.
My sentiments exactly. I would like to see tipping eliminated and forbidden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies