Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 07:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I wonder if the people who think that things like Alexa or Echo are cool and convenient understand that by being in a constant listening mode waiting for a command, that there is a 24/7 microphone in your house transmitting all your conversations within listening distance to an offsite computer somewhere?

To me that's just plain crazy.
Not really, a LOT of people monitor the data traffic, and it only sends data after hearing the activation word. The first google beta units given out had a button issue that had to be fixed that was discovered because so many people watch for EXACTLY what you are concerned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not really, a LOT of people monitor the data traffic, and it only sends data after hearing the activation word. The first google beta units given out had a button issue that had to be fixed that was discovered because so many people watch for EXACTLY what you are concerned about.

You are certainly free to believe that this thing only sends the data you want it to send only when you want it to send it if you want to. The fact is, you have a 24/7 microphone in your house that sends data to the Amazon computers. It wont be long until people are convinced to install 24/7 video and audio feeds in their homes under the pretense that it will only be accessed and watched when you want it to be accessed.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:28 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
You are certainly free to believe that this thing only sends the data you want it to send only when you want it to send it if you want to. The fact is, you have a 24/7 microphone in your house that sends data to the Amazon computers. It wont be long until people are convinced to install 24/7 video and audio feeds in their homes under the pretense that it will only be accessed and watched when you want it to be accessed.
Many have had video feeds in their home for years. It’s called a home security system.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Many have had video feeds in their home for years. It’s called a home security system.

True. Supposedly the feed can only be seen by the customer though, and is not being willingly sent out for others to view as they wish at any time. But who knows?

People will buy the claim that Alexa only "turns on and listens" after a code word,yet people have inadvertently bought items online and been bombarded with targeted ads about things they were discussing in the privacy of their own home without giving the code word to Alexa. How? Because Alexa actually listens all the time , and not just after some code word is said. Alexa only responds directly to YOUR commands after a code word. But others experiences have shown that Alexa hears all that is said .

Old 01-26-2018, 08:30 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,522,852 times
Quote:
True. Supposedly the feed can only be seen by the customer though, and is not being willingly sent out for others to view as they wish at any time. But who knows?

People will buy the claim that Alexa only "turns on and listens" after a code word,yet people have inadvertently bought items online and been bombarded with targeted ads about things they were discussing in the privacy of their own home without giving the code word to Alexa. How? Because Alexa actually listens all the time , and not just after some code word is said. Alexa only responds directly to YOUR commands after a code word. But others experiences have shown that Alexa hears all that is said .
You can always unplug the device from the speaker end (just takes a second) while you talk about your next bank robbery.

Seriously, I love my Echo and Echo Dot. I had to wait two years to buy until the devices finally went on sale in Canada last month. I did start out with the same reservations as you and thought it through - pros and cons. The one thing I am careful not to say out loud near Alexa is my credit card or bank account info. I have deactivated Amazon shopping on the app so I won’t buy anything accidentally.

Some time ago I read a customer review on Amazon which drove home to me just how important these type of devices can become. A lady bought the device for a relative who was paralyzed. When the relative realized what he could do with just his voice, tears rolled down his cheeks.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
So Google home is an Atheist I have no problem with that.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,120,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Does Google Home know who Jesus is? Brentwood resident says no | WZTV

I wonder if this is just a glitch or if it is multiculturalism. I don't have Google Home, so I can't confirm if it is still doing this.
LOL \thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
You can always unplug the device from the speaker end (just takes a second) while you talk about your next bank robbery.

True

I still see no point in allowing a company to listen in on everything that is said within my home. Makes no sense to me. When you have to start taking precautions in your own home to protect yourself from your own electronic devices, that's just a little crazy.

The day has not yet arrived when it is too tasking for me to Google something on the net myself or get up and flip a light switch or turn some music on by hand .

Old 01-26-2018, 09:27 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,046,900 times
I can't believe anyone is stupid enough to use these devices for everyday living. Are we that lazy that we can't do things and rely on a computer to tell us what to do.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Amazon promotes Progressive content? Gosh, I'd better not buy my cat food there any more. It might turn my furry little beasts into ravening liberal terrors!
Jeff Bezos, one of the most powerful, rich, far left progressives in the WORLD. Yes, Amazon's media content, not their store, promotes Progressive content. Bezos also owns the Washington Post which is also FAR LEFT. Wake the EFF up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies