Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 05:51 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Probably the best option I've heard. They're accounted for, pay taxes and the ag and construction industry doesn't fall apart. Wonder what that would take?
Um... You all know those already exist in unlimited amounts, no?

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers Visa

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...ltural-workers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Yes, it is a big crock of doo doo.

I had a career in the construction trades and I loved to do it and the pride and satisfaction of exceeding the clients expectations. Now I can no longer afford to do it, because of exploited illegal aliens flooding across the border and needing to eat too.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:59 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if liberals would actually get behind the policies that conservatives have been putting forward like everify, and stopping "off the books" employment the problem would be solved

heck eliminating income tax and going to the fairtax (a consumption tax) would solve the "off the books'' problem, which would solve the illegal problem....but NOOOOO...liberals stomp their feet and say unfair, and have a tantrum and so 'we wont do it, and you cant make us'

but liberals keep pushing for illegals and never put force a solution
You need to read this. It's not just a liberal problem.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/12...ented-workers/

Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, it is a big crock of doo doo.

I had a career in the construction trades and I loved to do it and the pride and satisfaction of exceeding the clients expectations. Now I can no longer afford to do it, because of exploited illegal aliens flooding across the border and needing to eat too.
And whose fault is that? The immigrants or the people here who solicit their labor and pay them far above what they would earn in their home country? I know I would be far less inclined to enter a country illegally if there wasn't a job waiting for me across the border. Follow the money and you'll find the root of the problem.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:37 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raconteur View Post
What is stopping Americans from working farm work now? Nothing. It is not about paying hire wages. Paying hire wages does not insure that more berries gets picked.

You may be fine paying $10 a pint for berries, but most Americans would not. I would not. Less demand increases supply and down goes the cost at the market, but the cost of labor is still high. There goes the farmer's profit margin and it is no longer profitable to grow berries.

He doesn't grow berries, no one works, and you have no berries to buy at any price point.
What's stopping the 12.5 million illegals and DACA from doing farm work now? Few of them do. Is giving them amnesty and citizenship going to entice more of them to do farm work?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some things are not even worth the effort to comment on. This is one of them.
Exactly!

Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
And whose fault is that? The immigrants or the people here who solicit their labor and pay them far above what they would earn in their home country? I know I would be far less inclined to enter a country illegally if there wasn't a job waiting for me across the border. Follow the money and you'll find the root of the problem.

It is my Governments fault for allowing it and now they want me to pay a greater price for their mistake of turning a blind eye.
Government has not been here the serve us, since the 16th Amendment. They are here to get rich and suck us dry. What is the areas around DC, the richest part of the nation? It ain't from hard work.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:51 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
California is not the entire country.

Illegals drive down wages in the construction industry so now it's not as much of a viable career path for Americans as it used to be.

Construction used to be the vocation of choice for many Americans that either didn't want to go to collage or couldn't afford to.

And after you for good at your job, it paid fairly well too.
There was a time when a master tradesman could earn enough to support a family and have a decent life.

Sadly, this is harder and harder to do because illegals have all but taken over the industry and driven down wages.

It's not "jobs Americans won't do"....

It's jobs that Americans can't afford to do anymore.
Actually, the labor union is looking for construction workers because they have so much work and not enough people to fill the jobs. So please don't tell me how illegals are taking these jobs away and lowering wages.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:40 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, the labor union is looking for construction workers because they have so much work and not enough people to fill the jobs. So please don't tell me how illegals are taking these jobs away and lowering wages.
Only a small percentage of construction workers across the country are union members.

The majority work for smaller contractors that are non union and many are also in right to work states.

I've been involved with the construction industry for over 30 years and I've seen first hand the effect that illegal labor has had on wages and families of those laid off or priced out of their trades.

So please don't try to talk about businesses that you have no clue about on the other side of the country.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Originally Posted by Lovetosave
So, my house was broken into yesterday, while I was at work. Don't worry my family is okay.

Fortunately my alarm told me and the police apprehended a man, and his 10 year old daughter going through stuff in my house.

The bad news is, my neighbors took a vote. They decided the 10 year old girl was innocent and only there because her dad brought her.

So now I have to feed her, give her a room in my house and pay for her to go to school.

The worst part is, if her dad went to jail for his crime, the girl would be abandoned. So the dad was found innocent and I have to let him stay at my house and feed him too.

If you think this sounds unfair, then you understand DACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Some things are not even worth the effort to comment on. This is one of them.
Schumer thought he could shut down the government because everyone must believe the DACA people (none are kids now) are the most important thing to resolve at all costs.

It only took him 3 days to find out he was completely wrong, just as you and anyone else who still believe such nonsense.

3 of 4 citizens want to resolve the DACA issue
4 of 5 citizens want more border security
3 of 5 want a wall + technology deterrents
3 of 5 citizens do not want their parents to be granted amnesty

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/harv...gration-levels

This is a Harvard gig, so nobody should criticize the source.

It is what it is no matter what anyone "wishes" it to be.

If the Dems turn down this offer, which gives them FAR MORE than they asked for, they will be going against the majority (including their moderate base) and reveal they never cared about DACA people and only about obstruction.

Good luck with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Only a small percentage of construction workers across the country are union members.

The majority work for smaller contractors that are non union and many are also in right to work states.

I've been involved with the construction industry for over 30 years and I've seen first hand the effect that illegal labor has had on wages and families of those laid off or priced out of their trades.

So please don't try to talk about businesses that you have no clue about on the other side of the country.
These armchair know-it-alls still don't have a clue even though we who were/are in the industry have explained how we have been devastated for decades.

They don't give a hoot about facts, obviously.

Doesn't matter that after 30 years as a C11/C15 I had to close my shop, putting 4-5 crews out of work. I was able to manage to make a profit doing everything the right way (very high overhead; rent, bonds, insurance, licenses...etc) until 2005 when I could no longer compete with illegals. 2 of my crews were made up legal resident Hispanics. Maybe some of these social champions should ask them how they felt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'll give you credit for being consistently clueless.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-28-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies