Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Walmart has over 2 million employees. 10,000 people make up less than 0.5% of their workforce. Does that really surprise you?

And you don't stop making yourself more competitive just because a tax cut was announced a few weeks ago.
I doubt they were "underperformers" as you posited.

I understand being competitive and cutting. What I don't get is how the new tax law was touted as a jobs creation move. Clearly for Walmart, it isn't right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:45 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
I think that Walmart is feeling Amazon's growing market reach.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
So a business must be a benevolent enterprise to its employees? If it were operated that way it would not be in business for long and the 1,990,000 other Walmart employees would be out of a job as well. Please tell me that people complaining about this do not own a business. I am sure the ones who received raises appreciate them wholeheartedly.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:50 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
They’re not hiring new people for these jobs. They are being eliminated. While some MAY be offered a different position, many will not. They also may not have an opening that would be a good fit for that individual and would almost certainly be paid less.
You claimed 1,000 are being laid off at home office, news reports state less than 500. Next you say 3,500 comanagers are being let go. True, but they are also adding 1,700 positions to replace those eliminated. It sucks, but this is retail and retail has to evolve or die.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:51 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,145,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I doubt they were "underperformers" as you posited.

I understand being competitive and cutting. What I don't get is how the new tax law was touted as a jobs creation move. Clearly for Walmart, it isn't right now.
So your assumption is that any successful "jobs creation" measure would completely eliminate all layoffs from every company in the entire country? If that's the bar you're setting, everything will look like a failure to you.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
So a business must be a benevolent enterprise to its employees? If it were operated that way it would not be in business for long and the 1,990,000 other Walmart employees would be out of a job as well. Please tell me that people complaining about this do not own a business. I am sure the ones who received raises appreciate them wholeheartedly.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you.

This thread is more about the "PR" of them giving bonuses due to the tax cut. Remember a couple of weeks ago when all those little headlines came out about how glorious the tax cut was to these companies. Walmart reaped so much cash, it could give out bonuses. They shouted this from the rooftops, pretty much. Yet they closed down many Sam's and are now gutting 10,000 workers.

The corporate tax cut was supposed to help corporations and trickle down to employees. I am all for businesses doing everything they need to run efficiently. But let's call a spade a spade, eh? Not sure this tax cut is helping the Walmart employees much.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone disagrees with you.

This thread is more about the "PR" of them giving bonuses due to the tax cut. Remember a couple of weeks ago when all those little headlines came out about how glorious the tax cut was to these companies. Walmart reaped so much cash, it could give out bonuses. They shouted this from the rooftops, pretty much. Yet they closed down many Sam's and are now gutting 10,000 workers.

The corporate tax cut was supposed to help corporations and trickle down to employees. I am all for businesses doing everything they need to run efficiently. But let's call a spade a spade, eh? Not sure this tax cut is helping the Walmart employees much.
That's politics. Plain and simple, and they all do it. It is the job of the party in power to tout their policies. Look at the garbage we had to listen to about Obamacare.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So your assumption is that any successful "jobs creation" measure would completely eliminate all layoffs from every company in the entire country? If that's the bar you're setting, everything will look like a failure to you.
No, not at all. What I don't like is Walmarts political posturing a few weeks ago with the $1,000 bonuses (and all because of the tax cuts...please). They are hypocritical. As I think we will see, the tax cut will only put more money in their shareholders' pockets (yeah for them) but it's not going to help the workers. Walmart will continue to do what they've always done which is run their business efficiently and maximize shareholder profits. The tax cut will ensure that shareholders get more. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
No, not at all. What I don't like is Walmarts political posturing a few weeks ago with the $1,000 bonuses (and all because of the tax cuts...please). They are hypocritical. As I think we will see, the tax cut will only put more money in their shareholders' pockets (yeah for them) but it's not going to help the workers. Walmart will continue to do what they've always done which is run their business efficiently and maximize shareholder profits. The tax cut will ensure that shareholders get more. Nothing more, nothing less.
So the raises they gave to the rest are negated by your perception of their PR? The employees probably don't feel that way.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
If you don't like the way Walmart does its business or treats its employees, don't shop there or work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies