Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:01 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
How is mass immigration and population growth going to help?
If those complaining about automation actually believed what they post-they would be among the first to recognize that mass immigration of unskilled workers is the last thing this country needs. It will be nice to have a robot to clean the house, put away dishes, mow my yard and plow my driveway every winter. I already have a "robot" vacuum-it works quite well, just need to clean it out regularly.

I'm thinking the $100 billion a year we spend on criminal aliens would go a long way towards developing robot housekeepers. And they actually might speak English. I just hope they can be programmed to make tacos. And do those other jobs Americans won't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
If those complaining about automation actually believed what they post-they would be among the first to recognize that mass immigration of unskilled workers is the last thing this country needs. It will be nice to have a robot to clean the house, put away dishes, mow my yard and plow my driveway every winter. I already have a "robot" vacuum-it works quite well, just need to clean it out regularly.

I'm thinking the $100 billion a year we spend on criminal aliens would go a long way towards developing robot housekeepers. And they actually might speak English. I just hope they can be programmed to make tacos.
The only explanation I can think of to their untenable position is they think mass immigration will give them the votes to tax the rich and automation and redistribute it. But they admit business can and will just offshore and outcource. So does anyone else have an explanation?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,029,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
imagine the current generation being the last generation with humans to do these types of jobs. AI is fast approaching and mechanical technology.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-at-warehouses
And same automation is being perfected to take over the millions of low skill work as cashiers, stock clerks, wait staff and crop pickers.... And then there will be the inevitable robots that will be driven around by automated trucks to deliver the mail, packages and other cargo. This is all in response to people demanding higher wages, with benefits like health care, retirement packages, and paid holidays, sick days and vacations. And oh, don't expect the military to intervene, since it's the elite rich who pretty much own all of the high tech weapons contracting companies, and they are sure to install software that will keep them safe from their own weapons being used against them.

So, face it, the elite wealthy have won this war, and there is nothing YOU can do about it. If you try, they will just send their drones over to bomb your ass.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
And same automation is being perfected to take over the millions of low skill work as cashiers, stock clerks, wait staff and crop pickers.... And then there will be the inevitable robots that will be driven around by automated trucks to deliver the mail, packages and other cargo. This is all in response to people demanding higher wages, with benefits like health care, retirement packages, and paid holidays, sick days and vacations. And oh, don't expect the military to intervene, since it's the elite rich who pretty much own all of the high tech weapons contracting companies, and they are sure to install software that will keep them safe from their own weapons being used against them.

So, face it, the elite wealthy have won this war, and there is nothing YOU can do about it. If you try, they will just send their drones over to bomb your ass.
It'll always be an elite wealthy ran country. And since the liberal, progressive multiculturalist are winning because elites want it too, at least will be overpopulated and have lots of diversity, our greatest strength.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,119,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

I think the Rich will even be effected. Very few winners here. Gives new meaning to "work yourself out of a job"

Old 01-27-2018, 07:30 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Looks like this at Amazon.=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLVCGEmkJs0

Old 01-27-2018, 08:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
how so?
You assume all cultures and societies embrace automation and artificial intelligence equally.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:28 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thing is, automation and robotics has been around for a long time, doing heavy, repetitive or dangerous work. I worked at GM in the 80s and early 90s, we had robots loading heavy parts for shipping, welding body panels, painting, etc. It's not new. Given our low birthrates and nearly full employment it's time to start freeing up people from mundane and sometimes dangerous jobs that can be readily automated and use them in positions requiring more judgement or skill and dexterity than a robot has.

Thing is, the majority of our businesses, even manufacturing ones, are small companies with low volumes of production. Automation is an investment many can not afford, and it doesn't necessarily fit well with low volume production.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,119,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You assume all cultures and societies embrace automation and artificial intelligence equally.
Fortune 500 companies sure do. It's not about "culture and society". It's about profit.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:07 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
False analogy. Hand tools put people to work who are taxed, robotics replace workers.

Government will have to do something besides importing more people with no where to work in a pyramid scheme.
robots are tools created, guided and operated by humans just as a hammers, ratchets, screwdrivers etc.
"Government will have to do something"Are you saying govt should punish businesses for developing greater efficiencies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies