Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,120,740 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...interview.html

Quote:
Some people think that the election of Donald Trump has revived the debate about race in America. Some people think that, in fact, there's always been racism in America; that it hasn't changed and that the debate isn't any different. It's just people are paying attention to it. What do you think?

JAY-Z Yeah, there was a great Kanye West line in one of [his] songs: "Racism's still alive, they just be concealin' it." ["Never Let Me Down," from West's 2004 album, "The College Dropout."] Take a step back. I think when Donald Sterling3 got kicked out of the N.B.A., I thought it was a misstep, because when you kick someone out, of course he's done wrong, right? But you also send everyone else back in hiding. People talk like that. They talk like that. Let's deal with that.

3Reggie Ugwu: In 2014, Sterling, then owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, was banned for life from the N.B.A. after a recording emerged in which he made racist comments about black people to a female friend.
I wouldn’t just, like, leave him alone. It should have been some sort of penalties. He could have lost some draft picks. But getting rid of him just made everyone else go back into hiding, and now we can’t have the dialogue. The great thing about Donald Trump being president is now we’re forced to have the dialogue. Now we’re having the conversation on the large scale; he’s provided the platform for us to have the conversation.

what exactly has Trump done to hurt black men? Especially a rich one like Jay Z?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 03:06 PM

52,870 posts, read 34,721,736 times
hurt his feelings?

Old 11-29-2017, 03:20 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,135,343 times
Let's say it again.

The primary determiner of anyone's success or failure in America is effort. Asians and Hispanic immigrants who do not come here with entiltement rights, family networks, or even language skills are surpassing blacks. Whites and Asians who are on the wrong side if affirmative action stay way out in front.

Blacks are born into this country with freedoms, entitlements, and special rigths undreamed of in any black-led country throughout the world, and generation after generation **** it all away by discrespecting authority, committing crimes, making children out of wedlock, doing drugs, and participating in crime and violence.

Any black person can succeed in this country with a minimum of effort, and yes, can even be president.

If Jay-Z loved his own, this is what he would be telling them. He hates black people, and that is why he tells them their problems are due to racism.

Go ahead, call me a racist.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,476,509 times
It’s difficult indeed being Jay Z in Trump’s America.
His private Jet was treated with disrespect at the airfield.
Not just him, but Kanye also suffers.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:59 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,332,920 times
"Look at what a black person said" part 3 million.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:10 PM

30,709 posts, read 18,355,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Let's say it again.

The primary determiner of anyone's success or failure in America is effort. Asians and Hispanic immigrants who do not come here with entiltement rights, family networks, or even language skills are surpassing blacks. Whites and Asians who are on the wrong side if affirmative action stay way out in front.

Blacks are born into this country with freedoms, entitlements, and special rigths undreamed of in any black-led country throughout the world, and generation after generation **** it all away by discrespecting authority, committing crimes, making children out of wedlock, doing drugs, and participating in crime and violence.

Any black person can succeed in this country with a minimum of effort, and yes, can even be president.

If Jay-Z loved his own, this is what he would be telling them. He hates black people, and that is why he tells them their problems are due to racism.

Go ahead, call me a racist.
While I agree, I am still waiting for the day that the country elects a black president.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:11 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,723,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
"Look at what a black person said" part 3 million.
Brought to you by the Mexican owned blog called the NY Times.

It's nothing but a tabloid these days.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:22 PM

21,499 posts, read 10,621,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...interview.html

what exactly has Trump done to hurt black men? Especially a rich one like Jay Z?
I avoided that article, but I have to say what you quoted from Jay-Z wasn't bad at all. I actually thought it was very reasonable and thoughtful. Now I'm going to read that article when I have time.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:41 PM

526 posts, read 387,483 times
I'm sure it's far rougher than what poor rural white trash Americans are going through...what with all their privilege and everything. And those immigrant stoop laborers in California, what do they know about suffering...I mean they're not a black billionaire.

Wish those Asians would get a little taste of the hell poor Jay Z and his wife have to go through everyday, but they're too busy working 18 hour days to get their business to be successful.

How can all those Native Americans protesting pipelines on their lands understand the day to day struggle of a black man? They can't, their lives are awesome compared to the literal hell a successful rapper and entrepreneur are going through!

The horror, the horror.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:00 PM

78,694 posts, read 60,878,962 times
I find the concept that Trump got elected and suddenly people thought to themselves "hey lets be racist" to be asinine.

In fact, the same voters that elected Obama twice, and by strong margins are now "racists" because they felt betrayed economically by both parties and so latched onto an outsider....hoping to stop the off-shoring and on-shoring of labor that has lead to wage stagnation.

It's absolutely saddening to read people complaining about blue collar and laborer wages, higher minimum wages etc. while defending the corporate backed 6million exploited workers from Mexico. But hey, this is what you get when you never take an economics class in life...you get crapped on for your ignorance.

Even more ironic is that Hillary and her supporters were the racists in 2008 facing many claims of bias throughout the primaries.

Anyone want to refute this? In a mere 8 years Hillary & friends went from being the racist anti-blacks to the defenders of minorities all due to politics and "controlling the message".

P.S. I voted for neither one. Would have picked Hillary if put at gunpoint and forced to choose between her and Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies